For ANZAC DAY a most somber day to my friend's and acquaintances down under.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

To all of my friends and acquaintances in the great islands down under. I wish you a very good and safe ANZAC Day. I hold all you're valiant brethren that have served and fallen since your nation’s creations with highest esteem and Honor. :poppy:

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Thanks, Dennis! As I type this I'm about to depart for the local Anzac Day march, taking some Danish house guests with me for the experience. My brother, a VietVet, marches every year; both my father and maternal grandfather also served.

• Like 1

Cheers mate.

Both my father (Australian Artillery then seconded to the Australian Navy) & my wife's father (Navy) fought in WW2.  My Old Man might have lied about his age on joinup 😆

From my father's war diaries I worked out they were about 50m apart on different ships in the Solomons, though they never knew each other.

He saw the HMAS Australia get hit by a Japanese Kamikaze plane right alongside their ship the Shropshire. 50 men incinerated.

JuqOMryl.jpg

Edited by thommo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Happy ANZAC day? Probably not the most sensitive choice of words.

Yeah, but we understood what he meant.

It is a huge event here in Oz.  Both reflection & celebrations.  

My Old Man said going to war worked out really well for him.  He was a real academic & wanted to finish school but his father pulled him out in Yr9 & said he had to get a job - as a clerk in the Forestry Dept which he hated.

During the war he was able to study for his school leaving certificate while on Navy ships, did amazingly well, got into Medicine at NSW Uni & became a doctor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thommo said:

My Old Man said going to war worked out really well for him.  He was a real academic & wanted to finish school but his father pulled him out in Yr9 & said he had to get a job - as a clerk in the Forestry Dept which he hated.

During the war he was able to study for his school leaving certificate while on Navy ships, did amazingly well, got into Medicine at NSW Uni & became a doctor!

It’s not a celebration. It’s a commemoration. Again, not a sensitive choice of words.

• Sad 1

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to For ANZAC DAY a most somber day to my friend's and acquaintances down under.
7 hours ago, Greg B said:

Happy ANZAC day? Probably not the most sensitive choice of words.

7 hours ago, Greg B said:

It’s not a celebration. It’s a commemoration. Again, not a sensitive choice of words.

A most humble apology Greg, the words were never meant to offend. Its an American twist on English, we tend to add Happy to every holiday when we really shouldn't. Sadly this include’s both our Memorial day & November 11th our veterans day. Again I hope you accept my apology. I never meant anything but to honor those that serve or have served and given everything. 

7 hours ago, thommo said:

Thank you Thommo, I salute your Father/Father in law and there service. I am happy to know it actually improved your Father’s future in some way. Something good to come from something bad is always a good thing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

A most humble apology Greg, the words were never meant to offend. Its an American twist on English, we tend to add Happy to every holiday when we really shouldn't. Sadly this include’s both our Memorial day & November 11th our veterans day. Again I hope you accept my apology. I never meant anything but to honor those that serve or have served and given everything. 

Thank you Thommo, I salute your Father/Father in law and there service. I am happy to know it actually improved your Father’s future in some way. Something good to come from something bad is always a good thing. 

No probs mate, I suppose now I'm also technically an ANZAC. So it has a very different outlook for me, a little bit more than an excuse for a long weekend where you can hit the pubs hard and play 2 up. ;)

• Like 1