Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Walrus Mk.I

Hello All,

I finished this in February and it's just been published in the May issue of SAM. This is the Airfix kit in a modified scheme from the kit: I've changed the serial number using a homemade mask so the roundels with anchors can be used. I've added a fair amount of PE by Eduard, a resin engine by Vector and some resin navigation lights by Quickboost. The necessary splash guards for the windows are fabricated from an old drop F-15 tank. The finish is mainly Mr Color 104 Gun Chrome. The kit was quite hard work, mainly due to the extensive clean up required for all of the parts and the sub-par moulding, but it does make for a nice model.

Comments are very welcome

Jon

WALRUS_07.jpg

WALRUS_08.jpg

WALRUS_10.jpg

WALRUS_11.jpg

WALRUS_12.jpg

WALRUS_15.jpg

WALRUS_20.jpg

WALRUS_23.jpg

WALRUS_24.jpg

WALRUS_25.jpg

WALRUS_26.jpg

WALRUS_30.jpg

WALRUS_31.jpg

WALRUS_34.jpg

WALRUS_35.jpg

WALRUS_36.jpg

WALRUS_41.jpg

WALRUS_44.jpg

WALRUS_46.jpg

WALRUS_50-1280x853.jpg

Macro_06-1280x853.jpg

WALRUS_06.jpg

WALRUS_01.jpg

WALRUS_02.jpg

WALRUS_05.jpg

• Like 63
  • Thanks 6

Absolutely gorgeous presentation of a favourite type. Painting and weathering are excellent. Good choice to leave out the armament and ordnance racks. I'd be interested to know how you did the serial number stencils.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps for your kind comments.

4 hours ago, Maginot said:

I'd be interested to know how you did the serial number stencils.

I scanned the kit decals into Inkscape (a free graphics programme) and traced them. I then changed the '6' (the kit provides 53.S.16) to an '8'. The file was then opened in Silhouette's proprietary software and cut using a Silhouette Cameo cutter into some Artool vinyl mask. The '8' is a bit wobbly under magnification, but looks okay to the naked eye. The paint is Tamiya Nato or Rubber Black (I forget which). The footprint markings on the wings were masked and painted the same way.

HTH

Jon

• Thanks 1

Absolutely superb Jon!

The metal finish - and painted markings - look completely realistic.
I have to ask, how did you achieve the variation in the natural metal?  I’ve been studying the photos and can’t work it out!

Dave

• Like 1

Thank you once again for the comments so far!

27 minutes ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

I have to ask, how did you achieve the variation in the natural metal?  I’ve been studying the photos and can’t work it out!

I think this Walrus was painted silver rather being in natural metal, so that was the effect I was going for. The base coat is Mr Color 104 Gun Chrome. Over this I used Mr Color 8 Silver and Alclad White Aluminium sprayed through various mottling masks by Artoolfx, Uschi van der Rosten and Cat4. Over the top of this are various washes and more precise applications of Abteilung 502 oil paints, especially Starship Filth, Paynes Grey and Field Grey.

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Can I ask what parts were sub par though, I understood it is a lovely kit ?

This kit was the second boxing released by Airfix. It maybe that the first boxing was better. Particular issues were lots of thick witness lines down the sides of every part, a very grainy texture to the plastic (especially the lower hull, which was like sandpaper), and warpage - the tail struts were very bendy and needed clamping and boiling water to straighten them out. The design of the kit is pretty good, but the quality of the moulding let it down.

HTH

Jon

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Thank you once again for the comments so far!

I think this Walrus was painted silver rather being in natural metal, so that was the effect I was going for. The base coat is Mr Color 104 Gun Chrome. Over this I used Mr Color 8 Silver and Alclad White Aluminium sprayed through various mottling masks by Artoolfx, Uschi van der Rosten and Cat4. Over the top of this are various washes and more precise applications of Abteilung 502 oil paints, especially Starship Filth, Paynes Grey and Field Grey.

This kit was the second boxing released by Airfix. It maybe that the first boxing was better. Particular issues were lots of thick witness lines down the sides of every part, a very grainy texture to the plastic (especially the lower hull, which was like sandpaper), and warpage - the tail struts were very bendy and needed clamping and boiling water to straighten them out. The design of the kit is pretty good, but the quality of the moulding let it down.

HTH

Jon

Thanks John, crikey, that's a lot .  I am thankful that I have the first issue. Phew!!!

Chris

Absolutely stunning Jon. The staining and chipping are excellent. 
Disappointing  how  the moulding quality has deteriorated so much from the first boxing. I wonder if it’s down to the quality of the plastic used ?

Bruce 

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments :)

8 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Disappointing  how  the moulding quality has deteriorated so much from the first boxing. I wonder if it’s down to the quality of the plastic used ?

I'm afraid it's only conjecture that there was a deterioration. I've never seen what the first boxing contained. Reports at the time were that it was pretty good though!

Cheers

Jon