The great 1/72 Air Cadet Glider build - No 2 complete - UK Air Cadets Grob Viking

An immaculate build. Very impressive. I remember fondly flying Vikings at RAF Catterick back in the eighties.

Cheers,

Tom

• Thanks 1

That is really nice.  Having just done some real gliding a few weeks ago after a 52 year break since my solos while in the ATC, I went up in a ASK-21 and DG-505. So looking at your model of the Grob, I am finding it hard to tell the differences between any  and all of the modern gliders. What's next from you ?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tomjw said:

An immaculate build. Very impressive. I remember fondly flying Vikings at RAF Catterick back in the eighties.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you Tom. I envy you having flown in a Viking - all my experiences were in open cockpit types! I hope to fix that this year though, at a local club.

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

That is really nice.  Having just done some real gliding a few weeks ago after a 52 year break since my solos while in the ATC, I went up in a ASK-21 and DG-505. So looking at your model of the Grob, I am finding it hard to tell the differences between any  and all of the modern gliders. What's next from you ?

Both the ASK-21 and the DG-505 do indeed look like the Viking and I think they are of roughly the same era. Spooky that my ATC solos took place 52 years ago in January. I suspect we are of very similar vintage! The next build (which will be in the ongoing WIP thread) will be a quickie (I hope) in the form of a Grunau Baby, the AZ kit....

IMG20210611171024

There are two in the box and I want to turn one into a Slingsby Prefect, but that takes some thought, which for me equals some time! So in the meantime I thought I'd build the other as is, although strictly not an ATC build.

I'm still undecided on the next ATC example but will be one of the following:

The Slingsby Prefect (mentioned above)

The Slingsby T53B Phoenix (Canadian or UK Air Cadets)

The Slingsby Venture T2 (with an engine!)

The Eton TX1

Watch the WIP thread for more!

T

• Like 2

17 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Missed this first time around - what a fine model

Rob

Thanks Rob. There will be others to follow in the ongoing WIP,  just need to get a few other stalled builds over the line first!

T.

• 1 month later...

I'm desperately looking for a kit of a Twin II Acro, which is the same as the Viking T1. My uni club's twin seater is an Acro (and you can see our Astir CS77 just behind it here). If anyone wants a ridiculous amount of reference material for an Acro, I photographed just about everything last weekend when we derigged it for its annual. 

IMG_20220123_114026410_HDR~3

IMG_20220123_093803046_HDR~3

20220820_170053

• Like 4

On 29/06/2022 at 13:01, Terry1954 said:

Both the ASK-21 and the DG-505 do indeed look like the Viking and I think they are of roughly the same era.

Not flown a DG505 but the K21 is pretty nice. The K21's handling is more polished than the Acro (non-cadet Viking), but its performance is marginally inferior if the Acro is flown right. It's certainly not as comfortable though, an Acro is a flying armchair! 

Main thing I don't like about the K21 though is the canopy. Not a good design in high winds. The linkage top stop the front one being locked without the back down and locked is nice until you realise older K21s have them made from nylon and they wear out over time; the two RAFGSA ones I fly regularly have metal ones instead. The instrument panel is also no good for people with very long legs, not an issue for me though. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, Adam Poultney said:

I'm desperately looking for a kit of a Twin II Acro, which is the same as the Viking T1. My uni club's twin seater is an Acro (and you can see our Astir CS77 just behind it here). If anyone wants a ridiculous amount of reference material for an Acro, I photographed just about everything last weekend when we derigged it for its annual. 

Great pictures there Adam, and a very interesting insight into flying these beauties. Can't help with a source for kits, other than the Heritage Aviation offering I used. They did that one in 1/72 and also a 1/48, but obtaining them these days seems to be a challenge. Maybe they are candidates for some 3D modelling ................ 🤔

I'm due a "glider experience" flight at Dorset club which was a 65th Birthday present from some friends, much delayed by Covid and a leg operation. I'm hoping to take it in the next month or so. I know I'll get hooked again!

10 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Somehow I missed this one Terry…😕

Stunning builds, they are really rather good!👍

Thanks Matt! I have four more gliders to build yet for the grand glider WIP, plus a Slingsby T61 Venture (does that count as a glider I wonder?). Things should pick up on the WIP again now that our succession of summer visitors with many grandchildren in tow, is drawing to a close!

Keep watching the WIP if you are interested, next up should be a Granau Baby.

8 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Beautiful! I have fond memories of days out with my Squadron mates, getting to fly the Viking :)

Glad you like. I would love to have flown in a Viking (maybe I'll get a go in a Twin Acro soon). My Air Cadet gliding was all done in T21's and T31, with wind whistling through the bracing wires (on the T31)!

Thanks again all for your kind comments.

Terry

• Like 1

I have been bitten by the gliding bug  even more now. Have joined my local Gliding club and have had another flight in a K21. ( Thats me after a flight in K21 with 'chute still on in my avatar at left back in April) Also experiencing all that ground handling stuff again... just like the old ATC days. But to get to the modelling side, I have managed to get the 1/32 Revell K21 kit and is in progress( sorry, too far gone for a WIP) But what I would like is either a K21 and DG500/505 in 1/72nd. Does anyone know if there has been kits of these?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2022 at 9:49 AM, Paul J said:

I have been bitten by the gliding bug  even more now. Have joined my local Gliding club and have had another flight in a K21. ( Thats me after a flight in K21 with 'chute still on in my avatar at left back in April) Also experiencing all that ground handling stuff again... just like the old ATC days. But to get to the modelling side, I have managed to get the 1/32 Revell K21 kit and is in progress( sorry, too far gone for a WIP) But what I would like is either a K21 and DG500/505 in 1/72nd. Does anyone know if there has been kits of these?

Well I hope to be bitten by the gliding bug again soon, post leg op (which got called off again on Monday after 5 hours in pre-op room)! 😒

Glider kits seem remarkably thin on the ground, but a search through Scalemates can often reveal what's out there.

3 hours ago, The Shearwater said:

Love this model (and your collection). Happy memories of my hours in Vikings! Good work 👍

Thanks, glad you like them!

My modelling has taken a big hit of late, for all sorts of reasons, but I'm getting back in the groove at last, so some updates will happen soon in the main glider WIP......

T.

• Like 1