1/35 - M4A3E8 Red Devil. Second model learning as I go

Hello everyone, been lurking around here for a while figured I’d jump into the fray with my first post. This is my second build after cutting my teeth on the tamiya leopard 1, made some mistakes but this new hobby has got me hooked. I started into the hobby a little under a year ago and took about a 6 month detour painting miniature figures which has gone a long way in terms of learning some airbrush skills and some general do’s and don'ts of brush painting. Anyways here’s my progress so far with the ‘Easy Eight’

spacer.png

So far just started with some black oil paints for the pin wash and setting a base for the grime and streaking. My original plan was to use the black as a base but now I’m considering leaving it as is, thoughts?

spacer.png

Hung an unused helmet for some added interest (the devil mouth definitely needs some weathering)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tips on how to make the tool handles less one dimensional would be much appreciated

spacer.png

Will be adding some weathering to the tracks and lower hull haven’t tackled that task yet

spacer.png

Fairly happy overall with the cans and ammo boxes. Wish I’d thought ahead and maybe done the cans in a slightly different shade to the boxes, oh well. The boxes as they currently are are a little too grimy I think. Definitely candidates for some brown pigments I think

Anyways thanks for looking and appreciate any C&C, cheers

• Like 23

1 hour ago, StuartH said:

Fantastic work! How did you achieve the dark effects on the olive drab paintwork?

Thanks! I did the normal hairspray chipping effects (probably too heavily) and then achieved the darker shading sort of by accident. I thinned down some basic artist black oil paint from Windsor & Newton with mineral spirits for a pin wash and went heavy to start. While I was cleaning it up I started to notice that I liked the effect of leaving it collected around certain details so started pushing it around as a sort of edge highlight/ grime effect. Not sure if I’m gonna use this streaking grime and rain marks products from AK yet.

1 hour ago, Patrykd said:

Great job. But light guards and periscope guards you should replace. The plastic ones are too thick. 

thank you! I’m very new to this but I do plan on getting some PE for my projects moving forward. I didn’t even know about photo etch kits till I stumbled onto this forum haha. Is there a good online store for North America (Western Canada) for aftermarket kits like that? My local hobby shops don’t stock them

• Like 2

That is looking fantastic. Really good for only your second AFV build. I have been back in the hobby for 2 years and would be really happy if i had produced that.

George

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ThreatLvlMidafternoon said:

Thanks! I did the normal hairspray chipping effects (probably too heavily) and then achieved the darker shading sort of by accident. I thinned down some basic artist black oil paint from Windsor & Newton with mineral spirits for a pin wash and went heavy to start. While I was cleaning it up I started to notice that I liked the effect of leaving it collected around certain details so started pushing it around as a sort of edge highlight/ grime effect. Not sure if I’m gonna use this streaking grime and rain marks products from AK yet.

thank you! I’m very new to this but I do plan on getting some PE for my projects moving forward. I didn’t even know about photo etch kits till I stumbled onto this forum haha. Is there a good online store for North America (Western Canada) for aftermarket kits like that? My local hobby shops don’t stock them

Cheers! It looks great and couldn't work out whether it was mainly chipping or oil paint effects.

With regard to the tool handles I often pick out the edges with highlights using a much paler shade of the main tool handle colour with a v fine brush or pin. Also could try dry brushing the edges with a light colour oil paint. Might make them look a little more 3D?

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ThreatLvlMidafternoon said:

I thinned down some basic artist black oil paint from Windsor & Newton with mineral spirits for a pin wash and went heavy to start.

I'd suggest plain black is too stark,  I find burnt umber with a little black works well.  If too dark, a little white will make a dirty grey.   

Also try using lighter fuel to make the wash, it very thin, so 'seeks' detail,  and evaporates off really fast. 

You can adjust it by using a brushed wetted with lighter fuel as well.   Also good for shading figures.

this is plain OD

51889994353_6e5e2850f9_b.jpg50620137 by losethekibble, on Flickr

this after a burnt umber and black wash, note I spent quite some time streaking downwards, thinking how water would run down the surfaces

51895145651_e9499c8c97_b.jpg50620138 by losethekibble, on Flickr

On 24/04/2022 at 19:11, ThreatLvlMidafternoon said:

Will be adding some weathering to the tracks and lower hull haven’t tackled that task yet

I also use lighter fuel to apply ground chalk pastels,  use fine sandpaper, make a mix of earth colours in a palette, and add lighter fuel, apply like paint, , though this is much harder to remove. This was how the dust was done on this, over a matt varnish.  I didn't seal the pastels.

51910139645_b619436f65_b.jpg50620004 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Hope of use or interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

I’m intrigued by “the normal method” of hairspray chipping -  what did you do exactly? A darkish bass coat, hairspray then a lighter coat? It looks great, and I’d really like to know how you got that look….

Yup that’s basically what I did. I actually decanted a can of tamiya TS-5 olive drab paint that i bought before i acquired an airbrush last year and used that as my base coat. I then mixed in some XF-60 dark yellow gradually and sprayed from bottom to top lightening as i went to try to achieve some sort of colour modulation (didn’t work I don’t think but a learning experience non the less). I think i went a little heavy with the hairspray though as it chipped off heavy and very easily. That or maybe my lighter top coats were too thin

Edited by ThreatLvlMidafternoon

Thanks for the suggestions Troy! I like the idea of some burnt umber to tone down he black next time. And I really like your work there, such a natural look to your weathering

Im gonna give your suggestions on an edge highlight on the tool handles a go Stuart, thanks for the tip

• Like 1

Working on some adds to give more of a lived in feel, not sure if this bag makes sense attached here but felt right to me haha

spacer.png

Extra tarp out of a tamiya allied vehicles accessory set

spacer.png

Gonna work on painting up a bucket to hang off the back and then tackle the 50. Not looking forward to painting the ammo belt

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Second build????? Man! I'm on my 6th and not nearly as good as this!!!! 

You got mad skills Sir! 

1 hour ago, echen said:

You obviously learnt a lot from your first build!

Much appreciated, but to be fair I’ve been pretty damn obsessed this past few months haha I don’t even want to know how many hours of nightshift and panzermeister videos I’ve consumed. So I didn’t exactly go in blind they have some very informative videos  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThreatLvlMidafternoon said:

Much appreciated, but to be fair I’ve been pretty damn obsessed this past few months haha I don’t even want to know how many hours of nightshift and panzermeister videos I’ve consumed. So I didn’t exactly go in blind they have some very informative videos  

Aaah..... nightshift and panzermeister.... the yt modeling gods.

I also follow Plasmo..  that guy is a wizard with modeling, scrapbuilding etc.

• Like 1

Well you certainly have a good eye for this armour stuff ..... the weathering is just right and the use of oils (in my opinion the most flexible of weathering techniques) is very good indeed, Can highly recommend the use of graphite on edges and handles and such to give a good heavy look to the chassis, also I notice you have blanked of the hatch openings on the turret, I always do the same thing as interior detail is pointless in this scale, you might want to paint those matt black to give depth and a more finished look, I have to say your future in armour is lookin very good ...... cant wait to see your next attempt should be a real treat, 

Oh if you decide to do a Tiger 1 then nip over to the Tiger 1 superthread would like to see your take on arguably the most famous tank of WW2.

spacer.png 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Well you certainly have a good eye for this armour stuff ..... the weathering is just right and the use of oils (in my opinion the most flexible of weathering techniques) is very good indeed, Can highly recommend the use of graphite on edges and handles and such to give a good heavy look to the chassis, also I notice you have blanked of the hatch openings on the turret, I always do the same thing as interior detail is pointless in this scale, you might want to paint those matt black to give depth and a more finished look, I have to say your future in armour is lookin very good ...... cant wait to see your next attempt should be a real treat, 

Oh if you decide to do a Tiger 1 then nip over to the Tiger 1 superthread would like to see your take on arguably the most famous tank of WW2.

spacer.png 

Thanks! And great idea with the graphite for metal edges. I was just trying to use tamiya gun metal paint on the .50 and I didn’t like the look at all. Graphite is a great idea. I agree with your take on the hatch openings I went through the hassle of liquid masking them to peel it back and realize it makes it look too toy like. I’ll be painting those for sure thanks for the suggestion

And funny you should mention the tiger 1 because I do in fact have a tiger 1 qued up for my next build haha I’m even gonna give zimmerit a go, I’ll be stopping by that thread for sure! 

• Like 1

• Not been a productive week at all for the Sherman as my first true love has taken over this week, NHL playoffs! But i did manage to get the front weathered up a little bit. Think I’m gonna call it good till i tackle the textured mud and dust effects on the tracksspacer.png
  • Like 11

• 1 month later...

Well its been too long since my last update on this build, I was burning out on it so i decided to tackle my strv 103c trumpeter kit for a while and seeing as how that’s now stalled out waiting on paint I’m back on this one. Done some mud effects and would love some feedback. Used AK earth effects, rain marks, and fresh mud over a textured diorama acrylic paste. Thanks for stopping by! 

52157934736_c2952698ce_b.jpg

52157934871_995e2c38b5_b.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot, cut up some woodland scenics field grass to add to the mud for a grass/ straw effect

• Like 7

I like the texture and colour on the mud and good call with the added grass 👍

It depends what sort of look you're going for but maybe blend the mud across the wheel facings a little more and possibly some more mud in the nooks and crannies of the bogies where it would collect ? It's highly subjective and is all about personal taste. Looking really good though!

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2022 at 02:17, ThreatLvlMidafternoon said:
  • Not been a productive week at all for the Sherman as my first true love has taken over this week, NHL playoffs! But i did manage to get the front weathered up a little bit. Think I’m gonna call it good till i tackle the textured mud and dust effects on the tracksspacer.png

This is looking great. Question, is the seamline on the mantlet tarp supposed to be there? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

This is looking great. Question, is the seamline on the mantlet tarp supposed to be there? 

It’s likely not supposed to be. I’m not actually sure how that mantlet cover looked like in real life. The seam didn’t look as bad as it does now as it opened up a bit after a close call with a drop. Only thing that popped off is the top half of that cover. It was already painted and weathered so I didn’t want to try to putty the seam. Next time I should definitely put the effort in and fill and sand that seam though. 

• Like 1