Kawanishi K5Y2 Willow

Grandboof

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

That orange doesn't look right :whistle:

Could call it Tangerine instead . Still time for another "O" entry from you . Still adjusting things to lighten the Mythical Orange a but and a little more yellowish . A dash of Vallejo light orange , What is the worst that could happen ?

Martin H

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, JOCKNEY said:

That orange doesn't look right :whistle:

It seems as though it may need to be a little more yellowish. Could also depend on light variation as well . More research me thinks . Sort of like the "Mauve" Rufes . In the end I will take a punt and go with it . One thought though a possible confusion between ID yellow and trainer yellow . I am no expert 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

It seems as though it may need to be a little more yellowish. Could also depend on light variation as well . More research me thinks . Sort of like the "Mauve" Rufes . In the end I will take a punt and go with it . One thought though a possible confusion between ID yellow and trainer yellow . I am no expert 

Neither I am. If you want some more definite references, you can look for Nick Millman works, like here - http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2013/06/update-orange-yellow-enigma.html

This is not free resource but probably more reliable than what I have, as I've been pointed out by @Graham Boak for the post I made in this group build reference section.

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

Neither I am. If you want some more definite references, you can look for Nick Millman works, like here - http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2013/06/update-orange-yellow-enigma.html

This is not free resource but probably more reliable than what I have, as I've been pointed out by @Graham Boak for the post I made in this group build reference section.

Hi Casey 

I was about to send you  that link . I have been cruising the net today . It seems that IJN trainer colours may have changed between 1938 and 1942 . I will let you know if I find anything more . 

Martin H

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see her progressing, though the main colour still seems to be a wee issue.

I think something that may help is to think how the colour would change over say 6 months of operations. Depending on where it's being flown the changes in the colour of the paint over time can be quite noticeable as it starts to fade and oxidise out in the open. Top/upper surfaces will lighten, side and most of the underside should remain fairly stable (though eventually will change), areas behind the engine will darken with oils and grime, though bits directly behind radiators could get a bit heat affected and lighten up a bit. Basically 6-12 mths out of the factory the colours would have started to vary.

If it looks good to the eye it'll be ok. Plus a wee bit of pane; pre-shading will help stop that solid orange look it might get.

Great work though.

...plus i think Pat really wants to build something "orange" again....... come on Pat!! :D

• Haha 2

Nice.  I've always liked the Willow.  A versatile aircraft for sure.  

I think I used a colour that the LHS sold as 'Dwarf Skin' in their 'sword and fantasy' section mixed with a little yellow to brighten it up.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Masters said:

'Dwarf Skin' in their 'sword and fantasy' section mixed with a little yellow to brighten it up.  

That could work, dwarf skin color is more or less red, yellow and titan buff.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, JOCKNEY said:

It will appear in the next KUTA GB  :like:

Is this a firm commitment then Pat ?

I have found another possible starting point . Phoenix Flame by Army Painter . The aim now is to start yellow and work towards orange ( Slight tinge) rather than making Orange more yellow if that makes sense . I will have to get a chosen coat on it the next day or so as still have to rig it . I am beginning to wonder whether there were two interpretations 

of the training colour before 1942 . One orange like (IJN) and the other more yellow(IJA) with the former giving way to the latter following The Army and Navy Central agreement . This is still speculation at this point pending confirmation but would go some way to explain the variance in references . Any thoughts on this would be welcome . More real progress in the next update soon . 

Martin H

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Is this a firm commitment then Pat ?

I built the Japanese version of the me163 in a recent Blitzbuild build then killed it by trying to dry the paint near a radiator  :doh:

The plan is to resurrect it ! :evil_laugh:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I built the Japanese version of the me163 in a recent Blitzbuild build then killed it by trying to dry the paint near a radiator  :doh:

did it end up like most of the real ones did....... a raging ball of fire! :D

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All. 

Long delayed update . Wings on ready for rigging . The "o" colour looks for yellowish under better light but at the end of the day it is what it is . The deadline is close but may still squeeze in . I have never rigged a bi-plane before so anything could happen. More soon. Thanks for looking 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 6:37 AM, Grandboof said:

The rigging is going slowly . Apologies for not making the deadline 

Martin H 

Deadlines, schmedgelines.  As long as you were/are enjoying the build...that's all that matters.  I may still be working on mine as well... :whistle:

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...