Kawanishi K5Y2 Willow

Grandboof

very nice and very bright too!!!  😎

Great to see a bi-plane and a float plane as well in the build....madness guaranteed!

The instructions are classic of the era, where the real modelling was not just gluing bits together but actually working out which bits to glue first! Could be worse, could be the really early stuff that was just written instructions!

Should be a nice fun model to build, you could almost get away from not painting it too! Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 4:58 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I've got the same kit, I do hope you're not going to paint it ! 

Best of luck :like:

Cheers Pat 

Thought I could ask the Orange expert

• Haha 1

Hi mate

I built this kit in the recent Blitzbuild 

IMG_6366

A couple of tips;

Assemble the fuselage before the floats so you can get the spacing of the struts right.

The top wing struts that adjoin the fuselage are tricky   I think the bottom wings needs a good bit of uplift to get everything to fit.

I have no idea how or where the underslung cannon goes so didn't fit it.

Oh and finally , the pilots are actually mini sumo wrestlers so won't fit in the aircraft through the cockpit openings !

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Pat,

Nice orange paint, or is it the plastic?😆  FYI a roughly  80/20 mix of that with "wood brown" is what MPM suggested for the "Kilfrost" anti icing paint on the leading edges of early Wellingtons/Halifaxes, though probably not on the Coastal Command versions as they flew lower.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @PeterB

I cheated and didn't paint the orange plastic :wink:

We all know the dangers of interfering with shades of orange  :rofl2:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat Should get started this weekend . I will be painting it  . What could possibly go wrong? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Thanks Pat Should get started this weekend . I will be painting it  . What could possibly go wrong? 

:fingerscrossed:

My recommendation,  be suitably vague on which paint you used, then no one gets over excited  :frantic:

Good luck

Cheers Pat

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

First steps  . Interior given a splashing of Vallejo medium olive . Another coat needed .I will add some some seat belts as the mini sumos won't be making an appearance . Not much will be seen anyway . More soon thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi All 

A little more done . Basic seat belts from tape and fuselage closed up . The fit is surprising good for kit of this age . A little clean up then primer . The colour that shall not be mentioned is set to disappear for now. Thanks as always for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

Now it is time to kick this one along . Cleaned up and primed in a shade of grey . Next will be that slippery slope of that colour that begins with O. More soon . Thanks for looking . 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hi All. 

While considering candidates for the dreaded O colour I have been tinkering with bits and pieces . Floats are now together . The engine has had some attention 

Thanks as always for looking and comments welcome . 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi All  

I have applied a white base coat to give some depth for the O coats . The best candidate so far is Mythical Orange from Army Painter . It may still need adjusting . I couldn't find any images with the machine gun mounted so like Pat I have left it off. Maybe only applicable to the wheeled version. More steps to insanity to follow . Thanks for looking 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi All

Still messing around with Orange mixes . Mythical orange is still the most likely . Meanwhile so more bits have had some attention including the engine . Some touch needed I worked out the position of the machine gun so it will fitted after all.  It seems protrude between two of the lower cylinders. Strange . Thanks as always for looking . 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Casey said:

Funny that it seems to be a theme, my Zero will be also trainer yellow. Erm. Orange.

Good luck with it . The O colour seems to be slippery slope .

Martin N 

13 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

Good luck with it . The O colour seems to be slippery slope .

Martin N 

I have a mix that works for me. It is on my group entry along couple of other IJN mixes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grandboof said:

It seems protrude between two of the lower cylinders. Strange

Not unique to this aircraft, the Ki-27 “Nate” had its guns mounted on the cockpit floor and firing between the lower cylinders.

AW 

• Like 2

Hi All 

The engine and cowl are painted and ready to fit . 

spacer.png

On 7/3/2022 at 5:59 PM, Casey said:

I have a mix that works for me. It is on my group entry along couple of other IJN mixes.

Thanks to Casey I am now confident that the  chosen Mythical Orange from Army Painter is close . All I need to do is find a thinner that it likes . Thanks for looking 

Martin H 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Grandboof said:

Thanks to Casey I am now confident that the  chosen Mythical Orange from Army Painter is close

Mythical Orange is not a bad match, here how they are seen by my devices (spectrophotometer readout of real paint samples):

Trainer Yellow (left) Mythical Orange (right)

100x100100x100

Trainer Yellow (left), my mix I've used on my model (right):

100x100100x100

Source of Trainer Yellow color reference - this book https://www.scalemates.com/books/camouflage-and-markings-imperial-japanese-navy-fighters-in-wwii-272--116702

I do not have any better reference :(

For Army Painter I've used Vallejo thinner without any issues.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1