My Lakenheath catch up.

gary1701

Gents,

Hope I'm not going into Lakenheath overload on the forum, but for a while I'd had some log in issues with the forum and only got around to sorting them out yesterday. Like many people, I haven't been able to get out much with the camera in recent times so there hasn't been a lot to add. Partly to get some of the 493rd prior to disbandment, and also to get some early shot of the new F-35s, not that I'm a massive fan of the type, but if it's the future locally, then I'll photograph it. These are a combination of a single Friday in February, and two days in March. Unfortunately, 86-0172, the marked jet, was broken during that time so never flew.

2G5A9928.jpg

2G5A0084.jpg

IMG-0033.jpg

2G5A0152.jpg

2G5A0155.jpg

2G5A0160.jpg

IMG-0045.jpg

IMG-0093.jpg

2G5A0321.jpg

2G5A0333.jpg

2G5A0394.jpg

2G5A9758.jpg

2G5A9787.jpg

2G5A9795.jpg

2G5A9816.jpg

2G5A9833.jpg

2G5A9877.jpg

2G5A9893.jpg

2G5A9932.jpg

2G5A9992.jpg

2G5A0003.jpg

2G5A0264.jpg

2G5A0315.jpg

2G5A0337.jpg

2G5A0495.jpg

2G5A0561.jpg

2G5A0630.jpg

2G5A0678.jpg

2G5A0734.jpg

2G5A0772.jpg

2G5A0833.jpg

2G5A0848.jpg

2G5A0927.jpg

2G5A0941.jpg

Gary

Edited by gary1701
  • Like 15

Great photos.......What's with all the unmarked F-15Cs ?. I am assuming they are the jets returning home (hence the removal of the two-letter base codes) but puzzled as to why the national markings are missing ?

• Like 1

Some terrific shots and great variety of angles.  Although you may have been unlucky with the 493rd 'special', the SJs with noseart and the F15 topsides more than make up.  It'll be sad to see the demise of the F15C from Lakenheath next week, and it's a shame that the visitors have all returned back to Seymour Johnson and Aviano meaning the base will be a bit quieter in the near term, so it's great that you recorded some of the recent highlights.

Mark

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Great photos.......What's with all the unmarked F-15Cs ?. I am assuming they are the jets returning home (hence the removal of the two-letter base codes) but puzzled as to why the national markings are missing ?

Superb photos. The national markings  are there, just that they look very faint due to the colour that they are painted in. Have a look at the  nose close up photo of 6175.

22 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Superb photos. The national markings  are there, just that they look very faint due to the colour that they are painted in. Have a look at the  nose close up photo of 6175.

I'm sorry.......I still cannot see any of the standard 'stars and bars' on the forward fuselage of the F-15Cs. Many of them actually look like they have been consciously painted out, with the presence of some freshly painted avionic panels. 

Hi gents,

I just had a close look at the forward fuselage on that four ship of F-15Cs coming off towards the camera on climb out. Three of the four are lacking codes and crew names but using the original images I can see the star and bar behind the intakes on all four ships, it's just very faint with little contrast.

Gary

That is a terrific set of shots there Gary! Very nice and sharp and a great, varied selection too. Difficult to pick favourites but the mixed formation and the E with its hook striking the runway stand out for me. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of the F-35 (especially from the rear) but it is growing on me and as you say, if that is what is on offer then we have to take it. I don't know whether it's the type of paint or, more likely my incompetence, but I have never been that happy with any F-35 shots that I've taken but yours stand out beautifully. Thanks for posting.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:29 PM, gary1701 said:

Hi gents,

I just had a close look at the forward fuselage on that four ship of F-15Cs coming off towards the camera on climb out. Three of the four are lacking codes and crew names but using the original images I can see the star and bar behind the intakes on all four ships, it's just very faint with little contrast.

Gary

Gary,

OK.....I see it now.....they seem to be a little further back than those on the F-15Es or it may just be the light but like you say they can be discerned.........probably my eyes.

Thanks for clarification