Will the Flightpath Vulcan B.1 conversion fit the new Airfix kit?

philp

As the topic says.  I am contemplating converting my new kit to a B.1 but the only conversion set I see on the market was designed for the older Airfix kit.

Wonder if it will work with the newer one?

I know Adam did a conversion himself but he is a bit more skilled than I am.

7 hours ago, philp said:

As the topic says.  I am contemplating converting my new kit to a B.1 but the only conversion set I see on the market was designed for the older Airfix kit.

Wonder if it will work with the newer one?

I know Adam did a conversion himself but he is a bit more skilled than I am.

The Vulcan Mk.1 Set is not currently available. It will not work with the new kit. We have Mk.1 Conversion Sets in progress for both the newer and older Airfix Vulcan, and one for the Airfix Victor kits for release maybe around late summer/early Autumn - but here in West Wales we don't do firm deadlines.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Edited by DJPFlightpath
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, DJPFlightpath said:

The Vulcan Mk.1 Set is not currently available. It will not work with the new kit. We have Mk.1 Conversion Sets in progress for both the newer and older Airfix Vulcan, and one for the Airfix Victor kits for release maybe around late summer/early Autumn - but here in West Wales we don't do firm deadlines.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

David

deadlines or not that’s very welcome news and happy to turn to other subjects in the stash meantime while looking forward to whenever the releases are.   The Victor backdates are more than welcome 

8 hours ago, DJPFlightpath said:

…and one for the Airfix Victor kits for release maybe around late summer/early Autumn

That’s very welcome news David. I was going to contact you via your website to enquire about the possibility / likelihood of a conversion for the Airfix kits. You’ve answered my question 😊 Thanks.

After some extended pleading over two decades with Jennings, the new Fundekals' 1/72 Vulcan decal sheet due in July will include for the first time both lo-vis and hi-vis letter 'A's as well as the normally included 'H's to enable B Mk.1 and B Mk.1As to be modelled.

Edited by Reparty
layout
  • Like 3

On 4/24/2022 at 9:32 AM, DJPFlightpath said:

We have Mk.1 Conversion Sets in progress for both the newer and older Airfix Vulcan, and one for the Airfix Victor kits for release maybe around late summer/early Autumn - but here in West Wales we don't do firm deadlines.

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Hi David, may I ask that you include the grille on the nose (each side) for the lower bay aft of the radome as a couple of minor bits of photo etch?

It's a pain making them from drilled out card and wire every time. It can be seen forward of the lower nose pitot tube and above the bomb aimer's blister

in the photo below.

spacer.png

Edited by Reparty

I know David has answered the question conclusively, but I'd just like to add a bit of stupidity to the thread before it's over (maybe it already is?).

Anything is a Vulcan B.1 conversion if you're brave enough (and have a big enough hammer). :D

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Reparty said:

Hi David, may I ask that you include the grille on the nose (each side) for the lower bay aft of the radome as a couple of minor bits of photo etch?

It's a pain making them from drilled out card and wire every time. It can be seen forward of the lower nose pitot tube and above the bomb aimer's blister

in the photo below.

spacer.png

Hello Reparty -

Well those grilles are already actually on our new generic etched set for the Airfix Vulcan - ready within next week or two. We are just finishing the instructions for that set, then it will go up on the web site. There will be no etched parts in the new Vulcan B1/1A wing/tail/undercarriage set when it comes out.

Looking at that photo reminds me of when one of the guys at Pendine Sands offered us a 'free' Victor K1 forward fuselage/cockpit section. Obviously we would have to have gotten a low-loader to transport it, but not one of us there thought we could have gotten away with having it in our front garden!

Regards to All

DJP/Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like this has been answered already, it won't work. I did think about trying it then realised I'd be better off using an old tool kit, then decided to wait for a new conversion set to appear. 

I'm very interested in at least one, probably two copies of the future Vulcan B1/1a conversion set! And I have an Airfix Victor lying around which I would happy butcher to make a B1, or more likely a camouflaged B1a when the Victor's conversion set is released.

I hope we see one peice resin intakes designed for a Vulcan B1 instead of the original conversion's approach of having the modeller modify the kit intakes. These could be repackaged alone to cater for early Vulcan B2s (XH533-539, XH554-556).

From there maybe Skybolt dummy missiles packages with narrow intakes for XH537 which might be quite popular? Maybe narrow intakes packaged with an Orange Putter tail to build the few B2s which were fitted with Orange Putter early on? Maybe the very early version of the tailcone (shorter than the small tailcone seen on most B1s), could make a prototype or very early production B1 (XA889-893) with straight leading edges with that available, or just one of the more standard B1s initially fitted with it. 

Quite a lot of potential for conversions with a Vulcan.

On 25/04/2022 at 12:38, Mike said:

Anything is a Vulcan B.1 conversion if you're brave enough (and have a big enough hammer).

That is my approach to 1/200 B1s! This thread seems like a good excuse to share a couple of B1/1a conversions....

B2 left, B1 right. Same kit underneath

IMG_20211201_230446213_HDR

No need for a conversion set for that scale, a set of drawings, some putty and a saw is all that's needed.

IMG_20211011_171707810_HDR

IMG_20211111_143910165_HDR

And my silver B1a converted in a similar way

IMG_20210408_005541425~2

IMG_20210408_005629073~2

Even went to the effort of converting the landing gear in this scale without any conversion set.

IMG_20210402_141550227

IMG_20210402_141643131

Oh how nice it will be to actually have a resin set to do all the hard work and in a reasonable scale.........

• Like 3

On 24/04/2022 at 19:25, Reparty said:

After some extended pleading over two decades with Jennings, the new Fundekals' 1/72 Vulcan decal sheet due in July will include for the first time both lo-vis and hi-vis letter 'A's as well as the normally included 'H's to enable B Mk.1 and B Mk.1As to be modelled.

Oh great! I hope it will include the larger cross of Lincoln seen on most B1s and the pale version on white B1as. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Looks like this has been answered already, it won't work. I did think about trying it then realised I'd be better off using an old tool kit, then decided to wait for a new conversion set to appear. 

I'm very interested in at least one, probably two copies of the future Vulcan B1/1a conversion set! And I have an Airfix Victor lying around which I would happy butcher to make a B1, or more likely a camouflaged B1a when the Victor's conversion set is released.

I hope we see one peice resin intakes designed for a Vulcan B1 instead of the original conversion's approach of having the modeller modify the kit intakes. These could be repackaged alone to cater for early Vulcan B2s (XH533-539, XH554-556).

From there maybe Skybolt dummy missiles packages with narrow intakes for XH537 which might be quite popular? Maybe narrow intakes packaged with an Orange Putter tail to build the few B2s which were fitted with Orange Putter early on? Maybe the very early version of the tailcone (shorter than the small tailcone seen on most B1s), could make a prototype or very early production B1 (XA889-893) with straight leading edges with that available, or just one of the more standard B1s initially fitted with it. 

Quite a lot of potential for conversions with a Vulcan.

That is my approach to 1/200 B1s! This thread seems like a good excuse to share a couple of B1/1a conversions....

B2 left, B1 right. Same kit underneath

IMG_20211201_230446213_HDR

No need for a conversion set for that scale, a set of drawings, some putty and a saw is all that's needed.

IMG_20211011_171707810_HDR

IMG_20211111_143910165_HDR

And my silver B1a converted in a similar way

IMG_20210408_005541425~2

IMG_20210408_005629073~2

Even went to the effort of converting the landing gear in this scale without any conversion set.

IMG_20210402_141550227

IMG_20210402_141643131

Oh how nice it will be to actually have a resin set to do all the hard work and in a reasonable scale.........

Afraid you won't get intakes. It would push the end user cost with VAT up just too far, as these will have to be made at 2022 pattern making costs, plus the extra resin involved. The set would end up with an RSP of probably over £40-45. The intakes were not included in the original DB set and so cannot be simply re-worked - the costings for the patterns for the other parts were amortised years ago. Hence the viability of doing the set. Same with the Victor Mk.1 & Mk.2 stuff.

Once these sets  and the generic Vulcan & Victor etched sets are out that is all the V bomber stuff we'll be doing.

DJP/Flightpath

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DJPFlightpath said:

Afraid you won't get intakes. It would push the end user cost with VAT up just too far, as these will have to be made at 2022 pattern making costs, plus the extra resin involved. The set would end up with an RSP of probably over £40-45. The intakes were not included in the original DB set and so cannot be simply re-worked - the costings for the patterns for the other parts were amortised years ago. Hence the viability of doing the set. Same with the Victor Mk.1 & Mk.2 stuff.

Once these sets  and the generic Vulcan & Victor etched sets are out that is all the V bomber stuff we'll be doing.

DJP/Flightpath

Shame but fair enough if it would push costs too high. Hopefully someone else will cover the intakes then. Modifying the new ones could be done but the old ones look easier to modify. Oh well, I'll certainly give it a go regardless! 

Just might have to look into how to make my own casts of the intakes when I've done them... I can see myself building a lot of 1/72 B1s and B1as from the conversion set.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Shame but fair enough if it would push costs too high. Hopefully someone else will cover the intakes then. Modifying the new ones could be done but the old ones look easier to modify. Oh well, I'll certainly give it a go regardless! 

Just might have to look into how to make my own casts of the intakes when I've done them... I can see myself building a lot of 1/72 B1s and B1as from the conversion set.

Excellent. If you do perhaps you'll sell me a couple of sets!!!

Regards

DJP/Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJPFlightpath said:

Excellent. If you do perhaps you'll sell me a couple of sets!!!

Regards

DJP/Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

Maybe! 

Also, question about the Victor set, does it include this part for a B1a?

_DSC0051

• 1 year later...

Any update on the B1/B1a Vulcan conversion set?

With the new Black Buck kit I can now convert my earlier one to the earlier version so I can still do full color markings on a white airframe.

50 minutes ago, philp said:

Any update on the B1/B1a Vulcan conversion set?

With the new Black Buck kit I can now convert my earlier one to the earlier version so I can still do full color markings on a white airframe.

Nothing heard