Do women have a tendency to dislike Chris Nolan's films?

Firstly, let me state that I'm not being sexist or deliberately controversial, here. My question is based on entirely non-scientific, random, very localized, tiny-sample and circumstantial "evidence". I'm definitely making some HUGE, sweeping generalizations. 

I lent my Mum the Interstellar DVD a while ago and she switched it off after 45 minutes (a real shame, I believe, as I think it's one of Nolan's best). Two female friends have also made comments along the lines of "I just couldn't get into Interstellar" or something along those lines. I wonder if the theme of a one-parent father abandoning his daughter, albeit to save humankind from destruction, was not a theme they were entirely comfortable with. 

I asked a female work-colleague about the Nolan Batman trilogy and she virtually rolled her eyes and said "What's all the fuss about? They seemed virtually identical to me..."

Having said that, TENET was a huge disappointment for me (I kinda admired it, but certainly didn't "like it"). I got the feeling the director couldn't have cared less if the audience liked the film (or not). The dreadful, "deeply-artistic", drowned-out mixing of the dialogue in some action-scenes really didn't help, either - some folks say this was exactly what Nolan was going for.... maybe, maybe not. 

I've often thought in Nolan's genre, "concepts" are the most important aspect and the people are a very distant, inconvenient after-thought.     

I will be interested to see how he handles the Oppenheimer, atom-bomb story in his next film. 

What say ye?

Chris. 

Mrs Lasermonkey liked Memento (a lot), Inception and thought Dunkirk was ok. She's quite fond of war films, which pleases me greatly! Neither of us are into superhero films as a rule, so she won't have seen the Batman movies. We haven't caught Interstellar as yet and as both of us are incredibly fussy about the mix quality of films are likely to avoid Tenet. You probably shouldn't get me started on today's quality of sound engineers!

Cheers,

Mark.

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

You probably shouldn't get me started on today's quality of sound engineers!

I'm wondering.... Is it an issue with modern sound-mixers, or the fact that today's film-mixes can have umpteen layers to them and everything starts sounding like one big, mushy "blob" of audio? When you're watching a film on a TV or a computer, all bets are very much "off". 

I was always told that the dialogue was the most important single aspect of any mix and the sound-effects a secondary concern. As one sound-mixer put it to me: "Would your grand-mum be able to tell you what's being said?". George Lucas has been quoted as saying "Sound is half the experience".

This is maybe not an entirely a new thing, though. I've seen "India Jones and The Last Crusade" numerous times. What's Harrison Ford shouting to his Dad when he's on top of the tank? Not a blimmin' clue! 

Don't get me started on some of Bane's dialogue in the Batman movies.... That face-mask really doesn't help at all. 

Cheers.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

I generally find SWMBO doesn't like any film I do, with the exception of any film starring Harrison Ford.

I've noticed when he's on screen she goes all hoody eyed, with a slight smile, a bit of a dewy eyed look, and several sighs.

I'm sure I've nothing to worry about ..............

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I generally find SWMBO doesn't like any film I do, with the exception of any film starring Harrison Ford.

I've noticed when he's on screen she goes all hoody eyed, with a slight smile, a bit of a dewy eyed look, and several sighs.

I'm sure I've nothing to worry about ..............

I wouldn’t worry as he’s an old git nowadays 😂

Mike

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, mick b said:

I wouldn’t worry as he’s an old git nowadays 😂

Anyone who lives with Calista Flockhart deserves a medal the size of a house. For the life of me, I cannot see the attraction. "To each their own".... I guess.  

Chris. 

• Haha 2

It's probably more to do with the fact that most of his films are in genres which tend to have a larger male than female audience (ie sci-fi, superhero, war) stereotyping I know but a stereotype based on fact in this instance.

My GF is the exception which proves the rule, she likes all of his films.

2 hours ago, -Ian- said:

It's probably more to do with the fact that most of his films are in genres which tend to have a larger male than female audience (ie sci-fi, superhero, war) stereotyping I know but a stereotype based on fact in this instance.

My GF is the exception which proves the rule, she likes all of his films.

Mrs Lasermonkey is a huge fan of sci-fi and enjoys most war films. It's just the superhero movies (with the exception of Deadpool [probably because it's a comedy] and Guardians Of The Galaxy [because it's a sci-fi crossover]) that she doesn't like. I'm with her on the superhero films. I just don't get them at all.

Anyway, you won't get any rom coms in our house!

I remember seeing the first Matrix movie with my (now-ex) wife. She turned to me at the end with a somewhat puzzled and bored expression and just shrugged "What the hell was that all about?" Really, really not her cup of tea. If it had Mathew McConnaghey and Meg Ryan in it, I'm sure she would have been MUCH better disposed towards it (our taste in films was very different, indeed). 

Chris.  

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I watch loads of films, we both have Cineworld cards but I've noticed that there is definitely a type she likes nd a type she tolerates because I want to watch.

One thing I have noticed is that she considers anything over 90 minutes too long.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My good lady adores the Batman Trilogy, loved Inception (as do I - and it has the finest Hans Zimmer score of all time !!) Interstellar - not so much, but found it thought provoking. I loved Dunkirk, went to the Waterloo IMAX to see it - she didn’t come with me ….

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:28 PM, Vapouriser said:

and it has the finest Hans Zimmer score of all time !!

Even the section where Hanns Zimmer falls asleep on his keyboard? Just kiddin' - I think Zimmer is a very talented fella. Was a bit surprised to spot his name in the end-credits of a "Minions" movie a while ago, though. I think he was credited as "Musical Supervisor" or something like that. 

Cheers.

Chris.