Arado Ar 96 canopies

GiampieroSilvestri

Arado Ar 96 is one of my favorite aircraft ever!
But I don't think there is any vacform canopy for it :(
One can maybe buy some old kit like vacform Hit Kit or MasterX resin kit & use those? I have MasterX kit in Belgrade but the vacform canopy is completely yellow :(((

Few years ago I was able to get new, bluish canopies to replace the yellow ones in my L-39 kit directly from Special Hobby. Might be worth sending them an email.

I would make a small blood sacrifice if say Rob Taurus were to produce a range of replacement canopies in PETG for all those early MPM/AZUR/Special Hobby kits, but I'm afraid it would be in vain.

Well, most of the time the yellowing is caused by an breakdown of the clear plastics structure so there is nothing you can do as you can't stop aging of the material.

Even if you would be able to remove some of the yellowing it will just return again. 

Yellowing is a problem with most older vacu canopies as the were often done with cheaper, non UV resistant and less stable plastics. The only thing you can do then is to make a new canopy using proper, UV resistant clear plastic. 

Cheers

Markus

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2022 at 19:10, Milos Gazdic said:

Arado Ar 96 is one of my favorite aircraft ever!
But I don't think there is any vacform canopy for it :(
One can maybe buy some old kit like vacform Hit Kit or MasterX resin kit & use those? I have MasterX kit in Belgrade but the vacform canopy is completely yellow :(((

So are you still at Shanghai? It might be a hard time...

1 hour ago, fernandocouto said:

So are you still at Shanghai? It might be a hard time...

Yes. Still in SH. Not easy. Our guest room which doubles as my modeling room is occupied now by our daughter's nanny so I cannot do modeling although if I would not have to be with my 3 year Angie whole day (it was her 3rd birthday yesterday - celebrated in the Lockdown), I could model quite a bit.
I started translating some articles & books about D.520 for my own needs since I am planning a series of Dewoitine D.520 builds... Finding food you really love is not easy but not impossible. Situation is not great, but seems like Western Media does portray it in a ways they like to do those things about "East". Anyhow, I wish lockdown gets lifted soon & we go back to our normal lives for sure :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milos Gazdic said:

Yes. Still in SH. Not easy. Our guest room which doubles as my modeling room is occupied now by our daughter's nanny so I cannot do modeling although if I would not have to be with my 3 year Angie whole day (it was her 3rd birthday yesterday - celebrated in the Lockdown), I could model quite a bit.
I started translating some articles & books about D.520 for my own needs since I am planning a series of Dewoitine D.520 builds... Finding food you really love is not easy but not impossible. Situation is not great, but seems like Western Media does portray it in a ways they like to do those things about "East". Anyhow, I wish lockdown gets lifted soon & we go back to our normal lives for sure :)

Sorry to hear that. Hope get normal soon. I have several modelling partners in SH to, although I live in a small city near capital,quite far from SH. They received food and necessary material from GOV, but quality varies. Some got quite many carrots, yes, many.  Some got SPAMs(affordable, but a little expensive for average incoming people) You may have chance to meet them at New Year Model Competition, if would be holded later. In fact quite a lot kits are trapped on ship....out of port. You'll get them after lockdown lifted.

My city has got blocked several times this year too...but on model forum we'd better talk modelling instead of someone or something else. I click in this topic for my 1/48th Ar 96A, bought on 2014, canopy is still OK. Should I build it ASAP?

For "tan" vacu canopies, once some modellers at a Japanese hobby shop providing second-handed kits, spotted a resin kit which price was below 1,000 yen. However the vacu canopy tint like beer.  The owner, an Japanese grandma, told that neutral detergent is the solution....never heard before... trial failed of course.

Edited by fernandocouto
not for GOV but from
  • Like 1