Korean War...1/48 Douglas AD-4NA Skyraider, VF-194, US Navy

Now that the French at war theme is coming to an end, it´s time for a new theme 😀

Gonna do a Skyraider from the Korean war, using the Italeri boxing of the old Esci kit with Cutting Edge decals.

52023585909_46fdeaebe1_b.jpgDSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

52022295777_bab2aefd7b_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

52023337896_4f46e20549_b.jpgDSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

52023337641_7b1f43c9f6_b.jpgDSC_0005 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

52022295437_23a186433a_b.jpgDSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

52023337511_6109f03092_b.jpgDSC_0006 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Like 6

Oooh, this looks like an very interesting subject. The Korean war schemes were good. Looking forward to this build. Can you please show the kit decal sheet.

Colin

• Like 2

• Reini78 changed the title to Korean War...1/48 Douglas AD-4N Skyraider, VF-54, US Navy

so...tested the Cutting Edge decals......as feared (and sadly happened before) the decals disintegrated

Although we have the Microscale liquid to secure bad decals, to be on the safe side, my dad will do the scheme included in the kit. Italeri decals are usually good, even after a long(er) time.

• Sad 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, Reini78 said:

so...tested the Cutting Edge decals......as feared (and sadly happened before) the decals disintegrated

Although we have the Microscale liquid to secure bad decals, to be on the safe side, my dad will do the scheme included in the kit. Italeri decals are usually good, even after a long(er) time.

Maybe next time, try a coat of Tamiya Clear from the rattle can, good for 'sealing' decals. I've used it to good effect on other decals Thanks for the heads up, as I am about to use a set of their decals on my US Navy H-34.

Colin

• Reini78 changed the title to Korean War...1/48 Douglas AD-4x Skyraider, US Navy
  • Reini78 changed the title to Korean War...1/48 Douglas AD-4NA Skyraider, VF-194, US Navy

btw, redecided to use the Cuttling Edge decals, treated them with the Microscale Micro Liquid Decal Film, tested them, should work

the scheme in the Italeri kit, although it has a BuNo for a -4N, is a normal -4

7 hours ago, Reini78 said:

ESCI marked the holes for the outer bomb rack locating pins wrong, they did it parallel to the wing leading edge but should be in a 90 degree angle to the fuselage length axis

DSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

DSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

They weren't quite perpendicular to the fuselage butt line; they also weren't evenly spaced...

https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2015/07/douglas-ad-1-skyraider-pylons.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, Reini78 said:

Oh, that's sad !

Mine worked well, I never encountered problems with cutting edge decals.

I finished that same kit 2 weeks ago but on a Monogram basis.

Sincerely.

CC

PS: My offer for the airscoop is still valid...

Nice work, Reini. I'm looking forward to seeing some decals on her. That set is very nice. I have it in 1/72 and, one day I will build at least one of them, hopefully two :)

Martin

as far as the ordnance is concerned, gonna add two 1000lb bombs to the inner racks, found some painted ones in the sparesbox

furthermore four smaller ones in total to the outer racks

still thinking of doing a scratchbuilt mount for a 2000lb bomb in the center.....

52056023819_d29e5b9e85_b.jpgDSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

found out, that the prop is molded the wrong way around, to say the backside of the blades looks forward, so, cut the blades off and glue them on the right way..

52054740722_1bb897312f_b.jpgDSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 3:09 AM, Reini78 said:

as far as the ordnance is concerned, gonna add two 1000lb bombs to the inner racks, found some painted ones in the sparesbox

furthermore four smaller ones in total to the outer racks

still thinking of doing a scratchbuilt mount for a 2000lb bomb in the center.....

Forgive me if I've posted this before, but there was no center pylon on the AD-4N. The rack was embedded in the belly and only the hooks (14 inches apart) and the ejector foot extended below the fuselage. The sway braces were stuck into holes in the bottom of the fuselage. In some cases (depending on the lug configuration), the 2,000-lb bomb was hung using an a strap-on adapter with 14-inch lugs. Scroll down to the last picture here: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2015/07/douglas-ad-1-skyraider-pylons.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Forgive me if I've posted this before, but there was no center pylon on the AD-4N. The rack was embedded in the belly and only the hooks (14 inches apart) and the ejector foot extended below the fuselage. The sway braces were stuck into holes in the bottom of the fuselage. In some cases (depending on the lug configuration), the 2,000-lb bomb was hung using an a strap-on adapter with 14-inch lugs. Scroll down to the last picture here: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2015/07/douglas-ad-1-skyraider-pylons.html

was talking about the strap-on thing 😉 but thanks again for the info