1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'The Flying Porcupine' *FINISHED*

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

That nearly made me snort said shiraz through my nose. I hope you are proud of yourself 🤣

Oh no. 

I would never do or say anything like that purely for a reaction. :wicked::whistle:.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris - the combination of lots of panels and a big beast of an aircraft make painting a challenge. Big hairy stick required old son,

Cheers,

Roger

I have been trying to persuade Alistair to get the paint brush out, but he is not having any of it!!!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I have been trying to persuade Alistair to get the paint brush out, but he is not having any of it!!!

In this case I concur with my Scottish friend. The Sunderland needs big coverage!

• Haha 2

Hi All,

Some strong progress today, on what's been an exceptionally wet day in the Adelaide Hills (we had 60mm of rain overnight!). First job for the day was pre-shading the top surfaces with Nato Black - here's the result:

20220605-104957.jpg

I then started out on the marathon job of mist-coating the white - slow and steady is definitely the order of the day. Here's relatively early in the process:

20220605-110018.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the way the EDSG is disappearing under the white - I think I've found a new combo! Much white paint later got us here:

20220605-113727.jpg

20220605-114952.jpg

Not displeased with the overall effect, and none of the usual spatters which seem to plague me when spraying white (I think thinning the paint is the key). N-Nuts has a quite distinctive wavy camouflage demarcation, so the next task once the white had dried was a rather complex masking job:

20220605-125412.jpg

Next a coat of DSG. Again, here's a shot early in the process:

20220605-130202.jpg

And after a coat lightened with a little Mid-Stone:

20220605_132553.jpg

That's looking rather nice! 🤩 Next was masking up for the EDSG. I forgot to get a photo before I started spraying, so here we are mid way through:

20220605_142418.jpg

As usual, the EDSG was also lightened with a little Sky Grey. Once all that had dried, the great unmasking (including a LOT of masking tape!):

20220605-151156.jpg

20220605-151138.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist popping on the Bristols for a look-see:

20220605-151520.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the overall effect  - the white in particular has a subtle variation in tone which doesn't really show up in the photos. Next time I'll mask up for the lanolin on the undersides and the leading edge de-icer boots on the wings and empennage, along with painting the floats and other white bits. Not a bad effort for the day though!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

A superb effort Roger, it looks gorgeous, with the DSG/EDSG, especially with the wavey demarcation line too and phwoare what a lovely two pairs of Bristols 😉😃

Great work 

Chris 

Thanks very much Chris! I'm pretty stoked with how she's looking, and the next paint stages will add layers of complexity to this scheme,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Just now, AdrianMF said:

Very sharp. Love the TSS.

(Not a brush in sight though :()

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian. I reckon even @bigbadbadge might shy away from painting this beast! Did you hear the almost imperceptible whisper of a gauntlet being dropped?

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Adrian. I reckon even @bigbadbadge might shy away from painting this beast! Did you hear the almost imperceptible whisper of a gauntlet being dropped?

Cheers,

Roger

Now Now, stop it Roger😃  I don't have this one, but do have some large scale kits to paint!!! Honest!!!😉

Chris

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That is awesome.

Stunning paintwork.

As for a whisper of a gauntlet I heard the crash from here. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

Thank you Alistair - subtle as a brick, me...

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, mark.au said:

What

Outstanding

Work

Mark,

You are too kind. I'd respecfully suggest Won Over Wegardless is a more appropriate TLA...

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 5

On 6/5/2022 at 4:29 PM, Dunny said:

Some strong progress today, on what's been an exceptionally wet day in the Adelaide Hills (we had 60mm of rain overnight!)

60mm of rain and you think it is a wet day!!!  We have had 60 feet of water here, 3 weekends this year it has not rained, 18" of water through my house and we were  lucky.  Lots of people have lost everything.  Should move to the Adelaide Hills there seems to be less water there. 

It is a weird feeling watching water flow into your house and you can't stop it.  Now we have to hurry up and wait for the insurance company.

On a good note "Bunnings fo Drunks" (Dan Murphy's) re-opened in Lismore last Thursday.   Dan Murphy's is a supermarket for alcohol for those non Aussies.

Oh! by the way your porcupine is looking wonderful.  WOW.  Great paint job and attention to detail.

Stephen who is sick of rain and prays for sunshine.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

60mm of rain and you think it is a wet day!!!  We have had 60 feet of water here, 3 weekends this year it has not rained, 18" of water through my house and we were  lucky.  Lots of people have lost everything.  Should move to the Adelaide Hills there seems to be less water there. 

It is a weird feeling watching water flow into your house and you can't stop it.  Now we have to hurry up and wait for the insurance company.

On a good note "Bunnings fo Drunks" (Dan Murphy's) re-opened in Lismore last Thursday.   Dan Murphy's is a supermarket for alcohol for those non Aussies.

Oh! by the way your porcupine is looking wonderful.  WOW.  Great paint job and attention to detail.

Stephen who is sick of rain and prays for sunshine.

Stephen,

That certainly puts a damp day in perspective - I hope the insurance company extracts digit soon! Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I hope the insurance company extracts digit soon!

They reckon it will take a year to do the work, suppose there are plenty in front of us.  We can get a drink though.

Seeing your builds brightens up the day and you have a nice doggy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Superb painting my friend !!

Congratulations !!

CC

You are too kind CC - thank you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Looks really nice.

Thanks for the kind words Andy - much appreciated!