1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'The Flying Porcupine' *FINISHED*

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sounds like some cracking progress there Roger, I am unable to see the images unfortunately they are showing as a blue box with 503 errors. 

I will try to look later incase my device   as keen to see your photos. 

Chris

Chris,

They're showing up okay on different devices for me, but let's see if anyone else chimes in...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

They're showing up okay on different devices for me, but let's see if anyone else chimes in...

Cheers,

Roger

I did wonder if it could be my device, so will try again later, odd though as never have issues with your images. 

Chris

• Like 1

Oy yes that's better, definitely great progress,  great to see the wings together and fettled. The dry fitted motors, look good.   Great to see it all together and looking very impressive.   

Cracking work Roger.

Chris

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oy yes that's better, definitely great progress,  great to see the wings together and fettled. The dry fitted motors, look good.   Great to see it all together and looking very impressive.   

Cracking work Roger.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris. I am actually still enjoying it too!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Excellent progress Roger,

I'm glad to see that the nacelles gave you no real issues.

You certainly are taming the beast.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - your work has certainly made my progress much smoother...

• Thanks 1

You may have posted this earlier and I haven't noticed, but what product do you use for your filler? It looks to be fairly easy to work with. I'm currently using the Tamiya putty which can be hit or miss.

1 hour ago, Jeff G said:

You may have posted this earlier and I haven't noticed, but what product do you use for your filler? It looks to be fairly easy to work with. I'm currently using the Tamiya putty which can be hit or miss.

Jeff,

Krystal Kleer is my guilty secret for most smaller gaps. I simply apply and then wipe away with a damp cotton bud (or a finger, depending which is closer 🤣) I also use Tamiya putty on occasion but have the same feeling as you,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Krystal Kleer

Ahhh, what an ingenious idea. So simple yet so effective! Will absolutely be trying, many thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

Ahhh, what an ingenious idea. So simple yet so effective! Will absolutely be trying, many thanks!

Jeff,

Happy to help - I chanced upon it myself, and as they say, the best ideas are simple!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some more good progress on the Sunderland today. In between sanding, scraping and scribing, I gave myself a break by fitting the astrodome. Now I knew already that the part was oversized, so offered it up to see the extent of the problem:

20220522-112345.jpg

Now to my slightly worn Mk.I eyeball the scribed surround to the hole looks to be almost exactly the right size for the part, so I duly fettled the material away to this line. After a few false starts (and dropping the d*mned thing inside the fuselage 🤬, here's the final result fixed in position:

20220522-121026.jpg

I also fixed the nose transparency in position with Krystal Kleer:

20220522-121017.jpg

You can just about see that the top strip on the starboard side of the transparency had been broken off, so I replaced it with a small section of plastic card glued in place:

20220522-121720.jpg

I'll fill around that and sand it smooth once it's dry. I also got the wings attached, and the gaps at the wing roots filled:

20220522-143243.jpg

I belatedly realised that I'd not built any structure into the wing for the landing lights, which in typical SH style have been omitted despite having a transparency there! I'll have to figure out a retrofit solution to put a light in position behind the transparency, but that will be a problem for next time. There's still a deal of preparation to be done before painting, but I don't think I'm too far away from the whiff of primer!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

The sooner you get those engines on, the better.  Those stumps just don’t look right! 

Good progress Roger, nice work on the astrodome too.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Those stumps just don’t look right! 

Thanks Mark,

They are a bit wrong, aren't they?! The astrodome was a bit of a faff but doesn't look too bad now,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Great progress Roger, glad you rescued the Astrodome from inside. Good luck with the lighting retrofit too.

It's such an impressive model with the wings on, looking forward to the paint fella.

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

It's such an impressive model with the wings on, looking forward to the paint fella.

Thanks Chris - it's an absolute beast, even in this scale!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Looking absolutely splendid.

Nice work on the astrodome.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

dropping the d*mned thing inside the fuselage

Did that a couple of time myself, it's a swine to get out too.

I'm trying to work out a solution for the wing lights but will happily let you take the lead on that. :whistle: as I'm currently resanding one of the horizontal stabilizers after my nephew cracked it last week.

Keep up the stellar work.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I'm trying to work out a solution for the wing lights but will happily let you take the lead on that.

Alistair,

Consider it done - I think that's a fair trade given the amount I've learned from your build!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Sunderland today! Spurred on by @AliGauld's lovely crisp EDSG paint job on his Mk.V, I decided to set about getting this puppy ready for paint! There was a fair bit of work left in sanding, filling & scribing so that was a good couple of hours of graft. Here's a picture mid-way through that process:

20220522-143243.jpg

And here once the rescribing was complete:

20220604-124241.jpg

I then laid down a coat of Nato Black over the canopy, and plugged all the 'oles ready for primer. Here's the canopy:

20220604-135536.jpg

You can see that a couple of the portholes have popped out during the masking process, so I'll fill those in later using Krystal Kleer. The first coat of primer revealed the usual panoply of minor blemishes, seams and niggles to be cleared up, so that was probably another hour's work. Finally things were at a stage where I felt happy to move forward, so here's a final shot under primer:

20220604-161347.jpg

For pre-shading the underside I elected to use EDSG rather than black, to reduce the colour bleed under white. This turned out to be a marathon pre-shading session, but here's the result:

20220604-165335.jpg

And right side up:

20220604-165851.jpg

That should look quite effective with a few thinned coats of white on top! I'll pre-shade the upper surfaces in Nato Black tomorrow, before cracking on with the white. Right, time for a glass of Adelaide Hills Shiraz!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Sunderland today! Spurred on by @AliGauld's lovely crisp EDSG paint job on his Mk.V, I decided to set about getting this puppy ready for paint! There was a fair bit of work left in sanding, filling & scribing so that was a good couple of hours of graft. Here's a picture mid-way through that process:

20220522-143243.jpg

And here once the rescribing was complete:

20220604-124241.jpg

I then laid down a coat of Nato Black over the canopy, and plugged all the 'oles ready for primer. Here's the canopy:

20220604-135536.jpg

You can see that a couple of the portholes have popped out during the masking process, so I'll fill those in later using Krystal Kleer. The first coat of primer revealed the usual panoply of minor blemishes, seams and niggles to be cleared up, so that was probably another hour's work. Finally things were at a stage where I felt happy to move forward, so here's a final shot under primer:

20220604-161347.jpg

For pre-shading the underside I elected to use EDSG rather than black, to reduce the colour bleed under white. This turned out to be a marathon pre-shading session, but here's the result:

20220604-165335.jpg

And right side up:

20220604-165851.jpg

That should look quite effective with a few thinned coats of white on top! I'll pre-shade the upper surfaces in Nato Black tomorrow, before cracking on with the white. Right, time for a glass of Adelaide Hills Shiraz!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Great to see this back on the bench and looks wonderful with the primer and all that pre shading, wow, that does look a big job. Should look good once the underside colour goes on.

Cracking work fella, enjoy the wine, you've earned it😉.

Chris

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see this back on the bench and looks wonderful with the primer and all that pre shading, wow, that does look a big job. Should look good once the underside colour goes on.

Cracking work fella, enjoy the wine, you've earned it😉.

Chris

Thanks Chris - the combination of lots of panels and a big beast of an aircraft make painting a challenge. Big hairy stick required old son,

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

Now that looks fantastic.

The preshading must have had you cross-eyed but it's worth it.

I'm glad that somebody is showing me how it should be done. :D

Enjoy the vino.

I'm struggling to imagine that without an Eric Idle narration in my head at least it wasn't a Perth Pink.:lol:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I'm struggling to imagine that without an Eric Idle narration in my head at least it wasn't a Perth Pink.

That nearly made me snort said shiraz through my nose. I hope you are proud of yourself 🤣

• Haha 2