1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'The Flying Porcupine' *FINISHED*

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow that is good progress Roger, great job on the, engines, cowlings and Props fella, looking sweet.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Very much enjoying this so far. As with my other heavy builds the small projects come together at the end. Has yours arrived yet? 😉

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris,

Very much enjoying this so far. As with my other heavy builds the small projects come together at the end. Has yours arrived yet? 😉

Cheers,

Roger

😄 not yet Roger, I have been thinking of selling some of my stash off!!! It's a great idea doing the sub assemblies like this, it comes together very quickly at the end then.

Chris

• Like 1

Nice result Roger, I like effect you’ve achieved there.  It’s always nice to complete on of the key subassemblies.  It feels like… progress.

• Like 2

Just back from Perth and you've certainly cracked on.

Cracking job on the cowlings. I'm not looking forward to them at the moment but that's a problem for future me. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Good catch on the bomb stripes! 

Those in your photo have been fitted with a nose cap, covering the red stripe. The right-side view in the drawing I posted shows the ballistic cap.

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mark.au said:

Nice result Roger, I like effect you’ve achieved there.  It’s always nice to complete on of the key subassemblies.  It feels like… progress.

Cheers Mark! It does feel like things come together quickly when all the elements are complete...

9 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Just back from Perth and you've certainly cracked on.

Cracking job on the cowlings. I'm not looking forward to them at the moment but that's a problem for future me. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

They are fiddly Alistair, and I did find that a little trimming of the cylinder heads was necessary to ensure a snug fit.

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Good catch on the bomb stripes! 

Those in your photo have been fitted with a nose cap, covering the red stripe. The right-side view in the drawing I posted shows the ballistic cap.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I'm just glad I don't have to paint the d*amned things! 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dunny said:

I did find that a little trimming of the cylinder heads was necessary to ensure a snug fit

Thanks for that it'll help when ever I get round to them.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi All,

Some progress on the Sunderland today (I had the day off - yay for me!) Now I had the engines under control, I decided to finish off the interior. First job of the day was inserting the portholes, which required a degree of patience but passed without incident. Here's the bow section, complete with sea anchors:

20220520-154544.jpg

You can see that I painted both the anchors in neutral grey for a bit of contrast (it seemed a suitably anchory shade 🤣), and heavily dry-brushed both with red-brown to simulate corrosion. I did briefly toy with attaching rope to the windlass, but decided that it would not be visible anyway! Next the midships section - here's the gunners' platform in position:

20220520-161604.jpg

I decided to attach the two Vickers guns in position (probably not accurate, but never mind!). Here they are:

20220520-162057.jpg

There's that many small loose parts precariously attached, if this thing doesn't rattle by the time I'm done I shall mange mon chapeau (as Uncle Marcel used to say). Finally the time came for buttoning up the fuselage, which went.... very smoothly? That is, until the entire assembly flew out of my hands and hit the wooden floor :poo:

It could've been much worse - the bomb room roof came loose along with a few fiddly bits, so I pulled the still-wet glued fuselage halves apart and fixed up all the damage. Second time round got us here:

20220520-165924.jpg

Fit and alignment is good, and there are minimal seams to clean up, with just a small gap to fill at the underside near the nose - I'll take that as a win! Not too much to show for what has been a busy day - probably no more action for the weekend, as we're off to stay with a friend by the beach (along with voting in the General Election, kids sport & sleepovers, and other assorted domestic bliss!)

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Edited by Dunny
Spelling
  • Like 12

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Looking very very good Roger,

Glad you got away with the drop.

Excellent stuff.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - the dog learned a few new words...

Cheers,

Roger

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Alistair - the dog learned a few new words...

Cheers,

Roger

The cat has taught me a few that even Sailors didn't know. :rofl2:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

Just now, Andy350 said:

Glad it was all ok, I thought I was the only one that dropped all the important things?

Thanks Andy - it was a lovely slow-motion flight, and a horrible crunch at the end! Noooooooo...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That interior looks gorgeous! It cries out for a cutaway version.

My sympathies with dropping things - I had a brief couple of steps back when I dropped my last build on the floor, but managed to find everything and stick it back on.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Oooooo that is great progress Roger,  do glad the model survived the first test flight without being written off fella.   Interior looks great  I love those anchors too with the rusty areas.

Great work fella. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That interior looks gorgeous! It cries out for a cutaway version.

My sympathies with dropping things - I had a brief couple of steps back when I dropped my last build on the floor, but managed to find everything and stick it back on.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian. You are bang on - someone with more skill than me could really go to town on the interior.

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo that is great progress Roger,  do glad the model survived the first test flight without being written off fella.   Interior looks great  I love those anchors too with the rusty areas.

Great work fella. 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - the merest glimpse of anchor could be available with the turret slid back, so I thought it was worth the effort!

3 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Glad to see you've got the drop on this one!

Right - that's it! In the naughty corner with @corsaircorp 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello Roger !!

Great job my friend !!

Did'nt notice that build, I'll find a place at the bar !!

Nasty corner is THE place to be !!

Nothing to worry about !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Butter fingers. ;)

The interior looks very good Roger, too bad it’s never going to be seen again.  Unless you drop it again…   Looking forward to next steps now.

I was in Adelaide yesterday.  For about an hour, nice airport.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Roger !!

Great job my friend !!

Did'nt notice that build, I'll find a place at the bar !!

Nasty corner is THE place to be !!

Nothing to worry about !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC - always a Chimay ready for you!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Just now, mark.au said:

Butter fingers. ;)

The interior looks very good Roger, too bad it’s never going to be seen again.  Unless you drop it again…   Looking forward to next steps now.

I was in Adelaide yesterday.  For about an hour, nice airport.

Thanks very much Mark - the airport has got much better over the years - was it a connecting flight, or an airport meeting?

• Like 1

Hi All,

Some progress on the Sunderland today! An unexpected major plumbing emergency at the home of our planned host for tonight has allowed significantly more bench time than planned! 🎉

Today has been very much about construction, with some known pitfalls ahead thanks to @AliGauld's lovely Mk.V build. Knowing that Alistair had battled with both dorsal and ventral infill panels, I was careful to do lots of dry-fitting and fettling. Here's the ventral panel:

20220521-131543.jpg

Some judicious sanding of the rear edge did improve the fit of the front & rear edges, but it did still have significant gaps at the sides:

20220521-131548.jpg

I think those will fill in ok, but you can see that the edges will still require a fair bit of sanding. Here's the dorsal panel which includes the off-centre fairing for the turret:

20220521-131607.jpg

Again, much sanding required and the old scribing skills will get a bit of a stretch! Whilst that was all settling down I applied the canopy which had been masked at an earlier stage:

20220521-132515.jpg

I'd also remembered to attach the overhead control cluster to the inside of the canopy 🤩 Here's the upper fuselage mid-way through the sanding slog:

20220521-144149.jpg

Although there's still a lot of work to do, I think it'll be ok? To give myself a break from sanding I put together and attached the empennage. Here's the vertical stabiliser with rudder:

20220521-144153.jpg

There's always a howler of some sort with SH kits, and the ejector pins on the wing spars completely prevent insertion of the spar into the fuselage:

20220521-145019.jpg

Not a show-stopper, but really? Quickly dispatched and all was well. Upon test fitting it was obvious that the spars were also too long, butting up against the opposite side of the fuselage causing a considerable gap at the wing roots. I therefore removed 1.5-2mm from each spar (on both wings, as it turned out):

20220521-150528.jpg

Once that had been done, both wing roots mated up nicely. Unlike Alistair I had no issued in fitting the engine mounts:

20220521-150536.jpg

There were some gaps on the underside of all the mounts, but these were quickly filled with no drama. I did take care to ensure that some seams around the wing joins were cleaned up, which might explain the easier fitment than Mr Gauld experienced.  Once all were fitted I couldn't resist a dry fit of a couple of Perseus:

20220521-153212.jpg

Looking niiiiice, although you might be able to see that the paint on the fronts of the collector rings were damaged as I removed the liquid mask - I'll simply re-mask and spray them at some point. Finally, here's a shot with the wings dry-fitted:

20220521-155235.jpg

Starting to look like a Sunderland, and she's a big beast even in gentleman's scale! I should get some bench time tomorrow, so another update perhaps?

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

Sounds like some cracking progress there Roger, I am unable to see the images unfortunately they are showing as a blue box with 503 errors. 

I will try to look later incase my device   as keen to see your photos. 

Chris

• Confused 1