1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'The Flying Porcupine' *FINISHED*

Damn fine work Roger, that interior looks really good.. Take lots of pics, not sure much is going to be seen again once you’ve closed up the fuselage!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, mark.au said:

Damn fine work Roger, that interior looks really good.. Take lots of pics, not sure much is going to be seen again once you’ve closed up the fuselage!

"Yes, but I'll know it's there" 🤣 Thanks for the kind words...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Roger  the interior is looking rather splendid fella.  Crikey sleeping in the bomb room,  would surely be for the adrenaline junkies!!! 

Crikey you're catching up with Alistair :wicked:

:whistle:

Looks great 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - has yours arrived at Badge Towers yet? 😉

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Chris - has yours arrived at Badge Towers yet? 😉

😃 very funny Roger.  I was looking at one yhe other day, it is the old Airfix kit though.  Might consider that one 🤔 .  

Chris

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Fantastic work.

Thanks for the kind words Andy - much appreciated!

Your build is coming along great Dunny. I love the attention to the detail especially in that scale. The sharpness and cleanliness of it is superb. If you don't mind, I will follow this build. I only spotted it during your last post....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PlasticUtopia said:

Your build is coming along great Dunny. I love the attention to the detail especially in that scale. The sharpness and cleanliness of it is superb. If you don't mind, I will follow this build. I only spotted it during your last post....

You are most kind PU - welcome aboard!

Sparkling work on the interiors and I can see where I went wrong now with the piece that has the bomb rack on it.

Well, it's hidden away inside now. :wicked:

As for the pitfalls in my build you do realise they are probably 99% operator error. :whistle:

I just have a feeling that this Mk.III is going to fall together and show me up for the amateur I really am. :fight: :rofl2:

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Roger  the interior is looking rather splendid fella.  Crikey sleeping in the bomb room,  would surely be for the adrenaline junkies!!! 

Crikey you're catching up with Alistair :wicked:

:whistle:

Looks great 

Chris

So when is your version arriving then Chris. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

As for the pitfalls in my build you do realise they are probably 99% operator error.

I very much doubt that Alistair, we are talking about SH here! Although I have to say that so far, detail and content is on a par with any 1:72 'heavy' I've built. Most enjoyable (thus far),

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I very much doubt that Alistair, we are talking about SH here! Although I have to say that so far, detail and content is on a par with any 1:72 'heavy' I've built. Most enjoyable (thus far),

Cheers,

Roger

Aye that's fair. It is a fun build though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Bomb info:

Thanks very much Chris - I knew you would have the goods!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi All,

A brief update! I didn't have too much time at the bench today, but enough to get on with the ordnance. Armed with the knowledge that the bombs required a light green stripe (thanks Chris!), I set to masking each and every one:

20220508-105130.jpg

This was definitely one of those 'why oh why do we do these things?' moments :wall:Fortuitously I'd got hold of a pot of Light Green for a forthcoming build (it's actually RLM82 - don't tell anyone!), so this was duly sprayed. Here's the result, with aforesaid pot of paint for scale to show the extent of my madness:

20220508-110937.jpg

They're far from perfect but not bad for gentleman's scale. Finally, they were assembled onto the crutches and racks:

20220508-155141.jpg

They'll do! That's all I've achieved to day, so until next time...

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8

You have more commitment than I to ordnance, I actively avoid it. However, your efforts are rewarded, and I think the slight variation in the stripes is perfectly fine too; out of the factory there would be variation and furthermore they’d get dinged up in the ammo dump and through distribution as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mark.au said:

You have more commitment than I to ordnance, I actively avoid it. However, your efforts are rewarded, and I think the slight variation in the stripes is perfectly fine too; out of the factory there would be variation and furthermore they’d get dinged up in the ammo dump and through distribution as well.

Thanks Mark - they pass the 2' test, which is good enough for me!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

The bombs look grand to me.

As Mark said the slight variation is how they would appear.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - it's the best my failing eyesight could achieve and I don't think they look too bad,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Will you be doing the red stripe on the nose?

Chris

Oh b*gger - didn't see that one! Will have to have a think about it...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

This is coming along well Roger, your bombs look good.

Thanks for the kind words Stephen - much appreciated!

Edited by Dunny
Spelling

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Sunderland today! I've been umming and arring all week about the bombs after @dogsbody pointed out that they should have a red nose stripe, when I chanced upon this in a dark corner of t'internet:

Royal-Air-Force-Coastal-Command-1939-194

Look ma - no stripe! I'll leave them be, but may pick out the nose detail a little more. Today was engine day (as opposed to leg day 🤣). I decided to do these as another pleasing 'mini-project' which will get me another step towards the finish line. First job was assembly of the cowlings (usual SH fare - no location tabs). One was also either damaged, or a short shot:

20220514-134553.jpg

For whatever reason there is a fifth cowling included on the sprue, so that was substituted, and no-one will ever know! Next up was the now well-established Dunny Bristol treatment, albeit applied to the mighty Perseus this time around. First a base coat of steel, including to the lovely resin exhausts:

20220514-150001.jpg

I then masked the front of the exhaust collector with liquid mask as this was not subject to the discolouration caused by hot exhaust gases. A mix of steel & brass was then applied to the rear section of the collector (forgot to take a photo), and then heavily thinned brown was applied, which got us here:

20220514-153454.jpg

The exhausts were only blutac'd in place - these were then removed so the cowlings could be masked to spray some Coastal Command loveliness. Here's before:

20220514-154441.jpg

Appalling photo - sorry! In between White, DSG and EDSG I got on with the propellers and engines:

20220514-153529.jpg

20220514-153554.jpg

And here's the final result of a day's work:

20220514-171256.jpg

Pretty happy with those! I realised after the fact that I haven't unmasked the front section, which I'll do another time. Very happy with progress to date though - I'm very much enjoying this build, which is not always easy to say with SH kits!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 12