1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'The Flying Porcupine' *FINISHED*

Hi All,

My next project will be Special Hobby's 1:72 Sunderland Mk.III - oh boy (or should that be 'Oh Buoy'? 🤣). I've long loved the Sunderland - it's just such an interesting aircraft, with a variety of novel features not found on other types, such as the retractable bomb racks, the sliding front turret, and generally the fact that it's a mahoosive bl**dy flying boat. Inspired by @AliGauld's lovely Mk.V build (still in progress at the time of writing), I had to give it a crack! This will also be my second Short Brothers build, after I completed the 1:72 Italeri Stirling Mk.I earlier this year. I decided on the Mk.III as this was the prevalent Sunderland mark, and the one which undertook the brunt of the fighting in the Battle of the Atlantic. This is the SH boxart:

20220421-152159.jpg

Here's the sprue shots:

20220421-152308.jpg

20220421-152225.jpg

20220421-152348.jpg

Lawks - that's a lot of styrene!

The boxing allows for 4 schemes - 2 RAAF, 1 RCAF and one Free French. Well, it had to be RAAF, so based on the fact that it also had to be DSG/EDSG over White I have chosen to complete as this aircraft - EJ134 'N for Nuts' of 461Sqn RAAF, based at RAF Pembroke Dock in 1943:

20220422-162943.jpg

Now the reason for the title 'The Flying Porcupine' is the Sunderland's exceptional ability to defend itself. 'N-Nuts' was a prime example of this capability, shown during an incident on 2nd June 1943, when she was attacked by no less than 8 Ju88s over the Bay of Biscay. During a protracted battle the crew of EJ134 destroyed 3 of the Ju88s, severely damaging another 2. EJ134 also sustained significant damage as well as several of the crew being severely injured. However, the crew nursed the damaged aircraft back to the Cornish coast without incident and eventually beached the aircraft on Praa Sands. There is an extensive account of the battle on the 'Aircrew Remembered' website - it is compelling reading:

http://aircrewremembered.com/walker-colin.html

Although I cannot find a picture of EJ134, there are some very evocative photos of 461 Sqn Sunderlands at Pembroke Dock - both of these are copyright Australian War Memorial (for discussion only and will be removed on request):

3789678.jpg

4133647.jpg

Both of the following show 461 Sqn aircraft, and are copyright Aircrew Remembered (for discussion only and will be removed on request):

download.jpg

JS30220630-JPG.jpg

The last two shots clearly show use of the beaching gear - as this is included in the kit I'll surely make use of this, and will also be attempting to replicate the heavy level of wear on these beautiful beasts. The build will be OOB with the addition of a set of Montex masks for the extensive glazing. I shall gird my loins as I think this may be a bit of a rollercoaster!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I have chosen to complete as this aircraft - EJ134 'N for Nuts' of 461Sqn RAAF, based at RAF Pembroke Dock in 1943:

Hi Roger,

Cool subject 👍

Don't know if you have read his books, but a former RAAF Sunderland Pilot

Ivan Southall wrote a couple of books on his time flying Sunderland's

One of his Books "They Shall Not Pass Unseen" has some great historical and

Operational information on 461 Squadron.

One of my favourite parts is where Sunderland "U" (flown by Morton) of 461 Sqn.

Depth Charged and sank U461during the Battle of the Atlantic (the irony never fails)

If I can offer one piece of advice? Check your clear sprues for an FN11 Turret (has a single gun slot)

for the bow, as opposed to the FN 5B Turret (Only on Mk IIIa and Mk V) as shown in the SH kit

Instructions and Profile in the kit painting and marking guide posted by you above.

Look forward to your build :)

Regards

Alan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Roger,

Cool subject 👍

Depth Charged and sank U461during the Battle of the Atlantic (the irony never fails)

If I can offer one piece of advice? Check your clear sprues for an FN11 Turret (has a single gun slot)

for the bow, as opposed to the FN 5B Turret (Only on Mk IIIa and Mk V) as shown in the SH kit

Instructions and Profile in the kit painting and marking guide posted by you above.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for that Alan - will be sure to check out the book. Will also follow your advice on the FN11 - much appreciated! Welcome aboard,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi Roger,

Ooohhh, now we'll see how it should be done.

Looking forward to this.

Quick question.

Are there any marking for an Invergordon/Alness version in the box.

Just wondering as those were local to me growing up.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Hi Roger,

Ooohhh, now we'll see how it should be done.

Looking forward to this.

Quick question.

Are there any marking for an Invergordon/Alness version in the box.

Just wondering as those were local to me growing up.

Cheers,

Alistair

Welcome aboard Alistair - thank you! The 2 RAAF schemes are both Pembroke Dock, and the RCAF scheme is Castle Archdale (Northern Ireland). No Invergordon/Alness versions I'm afraid,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

Looking forward to this build, as I also have one to build.

Welcome aboard Andy - have you had any thoughts on a scheme?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Welcome aboard Andy - have you had any thoughts on a scheme?

I've not even thought about it yet, this is the kit.  It's an old one!!  Probably going to go with what's on the box.  It's so old the instructions are a yellow'ish colour.

52021507009_e4f787fb1f_c.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Andy350 said:

I've not even thought about it yet, this is the kit.  It's an old one!!  Probably going to go with what's on the box.  It's so old the instructions are a yellow'ish colour.

52021507009_e4f787fb1f_c.jpg

Crikey - good luck with that one! I feel better about the SH kit now!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Crikey - good luck with that one! I feel better about the SH kit now!

If it all goes south, then I may not complete.  I have a few kits that were sort of free when I picked up another kit.  I will be watching yours with interest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

If it all goes south, then I may not complete.

I know most SH kits have their foibles, but the level of detail certainly looks impressive at first blush, particularly the interior - two anchors, donchaknow!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Roger,

Cool subject 👍

Regards

Alan

Another of his books, Fly West, has an account of the encounter between N Nuts and the JU 88s.

Long out of print now though. That was the book that inspired me to (badly) build an Airfix Sunderland as an 11 year old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, John_W said:

Another of his books, Fly West, has an account of the encounter between N Nuts and the JU 88s.

Long out of print now though. That was the book that inspired me to (badly) build an Airfix Sunderland as an 11 year old.

John,

From the little I have read it's an impressive tale of Aussie bravery against the odds, although a couple of the crew were Poms (said another Pom). These stories continue to inspire us all - lest we forget, particularly on the weekend leading up to ANZAC day,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

Looking forward to both Sunderland builds.  Got both kits in my stash and hope to build both at some point.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

Just now, mike romeo said:

Looking forward to both Sunderland builds.  Got both kits in my stash and hope to build both at some point.

Rgds

Martin

But I've still got the Stirling to finish!

• Haha 1

Just now, mike romeo said:

Rgds

Martin

Martin,

We clearly have a common interest in Short Brothers! Still enjoying your lovely Stirling build - you must be close to the finish line?

Cheers,

Roger

I will observe the building of this Sunderland as I think the comparison build of the two different takes by Airfix and Special Hobby will be very interesting.  Good luck to you.  Are you planning on any help from the White Ensign upgrade sets?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

I will observe the building of this Sunderland as I think the comparison build of the two different takes by Airfix and Special Hobby will be very interesting.  Good luck to you.  Are you planning on any help from the White Ensign upgrade sets?

Welcome aboard George! As far as I can tell SH have provided a pretty comprehensive Mk.III, but I shall enjoy the usual voyage of discovery with the hive mind. Wonderful to see you back on BM, by the way!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Martin,

We clearly have a common interest in Short Brothers! Still enjoying your lovely Stirling build - you must be close to the finish line?

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

I am.   Just back from a week's holiday tho', so need to steel myself to do some weathering, get a matt coat on, and add the sticky-out bits.  Then I can turn to projects new.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_W said:

Hi John,

Yes, Great book too (have that in my collections and read it)

5 hours ago, georgeusa said:

two different takes by Airfix and Special Hobby will be very interesting.  Good luck to you.  Are you planning on any help from the White Ensign upgrade sets?

Hi George,

Building Both, the Airfix kit surprisingly  is more correct in scale than the SH one

Just bear in mind the White Ensign sets, (there are at least two) one is for a Mk I Sunderland

and one for a Mk III/V

I scratch built my Airfix Interior

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

This will be great to see! Question about the EDSG/DSG scheme, you may have seen my post in the WWII thread asking which paints people use - which brand(s) are you going with?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff G said:

This will be great to see! Question about the EDSG/DSG scheme, you may have seen my post in the WWII thread asking which paints people use - which brand(s) are you going with?

Hi Jeff,

Welcome aboard! For the Dark Slate Grey I use Vallejo 71.309, and for the Extra Dark Sea Grey Mr Hobby H-333. Both are aqueous acrylics, and both spray very reliably. Here's a link to a recent FAA build to show how they look:

For full disclosure, for Sky I use Vallejo 71.302, and Sky Grey 71.407 - both appear to be pretty accurate to my eye and also spray well. Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Whilst girding my loins to set off on this built (you can tell from this post that I am still mid-gird 🤣), I idly wondered whether the Sunderland wing had anything in common with the Stirling wing. Well, as my Stirling Mk.I is still fresh in the memory, I thought that I'd place the two side by side to compare. I had already read that during development the Sunderland's wing had been swept back by 4o15', to modify the aircraft's centre of lift to account for changes in defensive armament. This change was effected by adding a spacer to the front of the main spar, and caused the engines and floats to be canted outwards. In addition, I was aware of the distinctive maintenance platforms which were integral to the leading edge of the Sunderland's wing, and not present on the Stirling. Although the Sunderland's wing had what look to be similar fuel cells to the Stirling, this is what they look like together:

20220423-111711.jpg

Although the photo does not show it well, the Sunderland's span is slightly larger, and also the engine placement is different. So, no common wing (although I guess elements could still be shared?). Right enough procrastinating - on with the build!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9