1:72 Short Sunderland Mk.III 'The Flying Porcupine' *FINISHED*

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Did you spray the Flory wash on or brush?

If sprayed does it go in neat?

Always sprayed neat, just as the gods of washes intended 😉

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

And who is?? Ditto yellow, it’s a shame I love trainers!

These things are sent to try us Adrian - if it were simple, everyone would be doing it 🤣

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Always sprayed neat, just as the gods of washes intended 😉

Thanks Roger,

I've always brushed it but I'm going to spray the Sunderland.

Always learning something new.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hi All,

A bit more progress on the Sunderland. Firstly here's the dorsal portholes - the Krystal Kleer had dried nicely overnight:

20220613-094334.jpg

Next piece of work was attaching the beaching gear. Now the attachment points were, in usual SH style, somewhat vague, and I felt had little chance of holding up a model of this size and weight. I therefore cut away the provided attachment lugs:

20220613_100419.jpg

Not a very gooc photo - sorry. I then drilled out a hole and added a new lug from styrene rod:

20220613_101713.jpg

Much better! I then drilled a corresponding hole in the fuselage, and attached the units using CA. Whilst those were setting I attached the ordnance on one side - the other bomb rack has disintegrated so will need further work when I have more time. Once the 'tail wheel' assembly was added, N-Nuts could finally rest on her beaching gear!!

20220613_110630.jpg

You can see on the port bow I've added some weathering to simulate 'tender strike', as kindly pointed out by @LDSModeller (thanks Alan!). I'm not sure how happy I am with it, but may get used to it. I'm also working myself up to adding the bird droppings on the wings & upper fuselage...

20220613_110649.jpg

20220613_110700.jpg

I feel like getting the beaching gear on is a significant milestone towards completion. Although I've still got the turrets and all the fiddly bits yet to do, the end isn't too far away!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I've added some weathering to simulate 'tender strike',

Hi Roger,

Interesting way to mount your Beaching Gear :D

Just as an FYI from a Technical Aspect, the Top of the main Gear attaches to

an "Elbow" located under the wing, and the rest to "pins" jutting out from the fuselage.

My Dad said beaching a Sunderland was great in the Summer or warm Sun in the Pacific,,

but not so much in Wintery conditions, as you always invariably got splashed/wet.

Re the Tender Strike

I have attached a photo from my Dads Collection of an RNZAF Sunderland MR5

at Lauthala Bay Fiji.

The "Tender Strike" is more the Paint/Rubber from the "Fenders" (rubber/rope etc)

that rubs off along the hull. You can make it more or less as you like.

If you look under the open Galley hatch you can see it (would be both sides)

9821968f-9078-4fc0-bba1-674f963476d9.jpg

Hope that's of any more help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking damn good Roger.  These finishing touches are really bring Nuts to life.  I’d be tempted to dry brush the tender scuffs with the base colour just to tone them down a tad and make them more “scuffy” than solid.  But that’s just me, as you know I tend to over think and over fiddle with the final touches…. It’s coming together beautifully  and is going to be a mighty impressive model when done.  Do you have somewhere to display it??

Edited by mark.au
I really must proof read my posts more effectively…
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mark.au said:

Looking damn good Roger.  Th3 see finishing touches are really bring Nuts to life.  I’d be tempted to dry brush the tender scuffs with the base colour just to tone them down a tad and make them more “scuffy” than solid.  But that’s just me, as you know I tend to over think and over fiddle with the final touches…. It’s coming together beautifully  and is going to be a mighty impressive model when done.  Do you have somewhere to display it??

Thanks very much Mark. Yes, I think I'll do as you say with the scuffing - it's currently far too prominent, but hopefully easily sorted. As for the display, that's a problem for future me (in other words, I do not 🤣)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Interesting way to mount your Beaching Gear :D

Doh - it's back-to-front, isn't it?! Another fixup for next time *sigh*

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

There's always something. 

There always is. Beaching gear was removed before the CA got too comfortable - will re-drill and fix the right way round next time, along with smearing the ugly tender strike...

• Like 2

Hi All,

A brief update, as I've not made any significant moves forward. After @AliGauld's unfortunate incident on his lovely Mk.V ('The Thinners Incident'), I made sure that there was a healthy separation between bottle and model before I attempted the next job, which was to knock back the rather too prominent weathering depicting 'tender strike'. I gingerly wiped a cotton bud over the affected area, ending up with this:

20220618-105910.jpg

That doesn't look anywhere near as rubbish! I also gave it a bit of a wipe over with MSG, to try and simulate scraping. In other news, I fixed the beaching gear, which as @LDSModeller kindly pointed out I had mistakenly reversed the left and right units. Here's the fixed gear:

20220619-130052.jpg

Finally I re-assembled and attached the other bomb rack:

20220619-133924.jpg

So, I'm pretty much where I was last week, albeit with everything shipshape and Bristol fashion! Hopefully next weekend I'll tackle the turrets, along with all the other fiddly bits,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 13

It's looking gorgeous Roger, I do like your weathering  on this, nearly there now fella.

I hope Alistair is able to finish his lovely model too, we have been spoiled seeing two built at the same time. It's been great

Cracking job 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It's looking gorgeous Roger, I do like your weathering  on this, nearly there now fella.

I hope Alistair is able to finish his lovely model too, we have been spoiled seeing two built at the same time. It's been great

Cracking job 

Chris

Thanks very much Chris. I do hope he can, as it was looking so lovely. I know that sinking feeling all too well...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

bit of a wipe over with MSG, to try and simulate scraping.

Hi Roger,

Looking very much like a Sunderland :thumbsup:

Good job on simulating the Tender Strike

Regards

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Roger,

Looking very much like a Sunderland :thumbsup:

Good job on simulating the Tender Strike

Regards

Alan

Thanks very much Alan - I'm certainly happier with this than the original effort!

Cheers,

Roger

3 minutes ago, mick b said:

Excellent work Roger, she is looking suitably shabby. 

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike. White was never a good choice for a flying boat 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

6 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks for the kind words Mike. White was never a good choice for a flying boat 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

Apologies if I missed it but what brand of paints have you used.

I’m close to tackling the paintwork on a CC Liberator and bought some Vallejo Off Whites to try and tone it down a bit but I think the washes may be enough to reduce the brightness.

Mike

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mick b said:

Apologies if I missed it but what brand of paints have you used.

I’m close to tackling the paintwork on a CC Liberator and bought some Vallejo Off Whites to try and tone it down a bit but I think the washes may be enough to reduce the brightness.

Mike

Mike,

The white is just Mig Ammo Matt White. DSG is Vallejo, EDSG Mr Hobby, all aqueous acrylics. Washes are Flory Grime for the white, Black for upper surfaces. As you say I tend to find that the washes knock the edge off the white - this is the first time I've sprayed white to my satisfaction, and thinned mist coats are definitely the order of the day. I look forward to seeing your Liberator - I keep looking for an appropriate kit myself (quite keen on a Liberator GR Mk.II)!

Cheers,

Roger

How did I miss this thread?  I've just read it from beginning to not-quite-end, and will follow on for the grand finale.  The second kit I ever built was an Airfix Sunderland III and I've had the itch to add another to the stash for a while now...  Which do we think is the better kit, folks?  The Airfix kit from 1486 or the more recent SH offering? 

Roger, I've a soft spot for RAAF / RNZAF aircraft, and for ones that flew from Welsh bases, so this one has really honked my hooter!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

How did I miss this thread?  I've just read it from beginning to not-quite-end, and will follow on for the grand finale.  The second kit I ever built was an Airfix Sunderland III and I've had the itch to add another to the stash for a while now...  Which do we think is the better kit, folks?  The Airfix kit from 1486 or the more recent SH offering? 

Roger, I've a soft spot for RAAF / RNZAF aircraft, and for ones that flew from Welsh bases, so this one has really honked my hooter!

Cheers JRK - welcome aboard! I've never built the Airfix kit, but the SH offering is superb in detail, with the usual vagaries of engineering. I've thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of the build, and I'm very pleased with the result so far. RAAF/RNZAF/Welsh bases - that sounds like a Venn diagram to me!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

healthy separation between bottle and mode

See it was worth it if it's allowed you to come up with this stunner.

She is gorgeous.

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I hope Alistair is able to finish his lovely model too

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

I do hope he can

Thanks Gents,

It'll get there somehow. Even if I have to cobble something together I will finish it even if it means changing the scheme for the French one.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I finally succumbed to the Spicy Sneeze after almost inevitably catching it from my daughter - I did manage almost 2 1/2 years, which isn't too bad! After a few days of feeling pretty ordinary, I've dragged my sorry carcass to the bench today. I've also girded my loins in preparation for some rigging action, which if I'm brutally honest is why this project has been on hiatus. Anyway, the first job was to fix the floats in position:

20220715-104709.jpg

As many have noted, slow and steady is the order of the day, so I then attached the 'float' ends of all the cables and left them to dry (here we are mid-way through that stage):

20220715-105845.jpg

After a surprisingly short space of time we had two of these:

20220715-113138.jpg

Not perfect by any shout but it'll do for me. Next I assembled and attached the under-wing Yagi antennae:

20220715-121558-1.jpg

This may be the last time I can rest her safely upside-down, so here's another shot for good measure:

20220715-121617-1.jpg

You can see that the tail wheel of the beaching gear is a bit wonky after it fell off and was poorly reattached - this has since been rectified. I didn't have the energy to tackle the turrets today, so contented(?) myself with attaching the dorsal and lateral antenna arrays:

20220715-132828-1.jpg

Although I won't start the turrets today, I do think I remember @LDSModeller stating that the Mk.III would still carry the single Vickers in the front turret (please let me know before I dive down a rabbit hole Alan!!). I knew that the kit had the required parts, but I could not figure out what was what. After a bit of faffing around I had the fine thought to download SH's instructions for their Mk.I/II from Scalemates, which gave me this:

Mk-III-Turret.jpg

Stage 70 & 71 I believe will furnish me with the correct turret - huzzah for t'internet! 😍 That, however, is a job for tomorrow - I'm off for a lie down with a cool flannel for my fevered brow (and a spitoon),

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 8