Tamiya 1/24 Arta NSX 2005

With the bike build at it's conclusion it's time to start something new. This kit has been in my stash for a bit and left it up to a vote with a group of mates and they picked this over the Peugeot 206 kit that I was also thinking about. 

376cK8W.jpg?1

OazCVQZ.jpg

The kit itself found its way into my possesion thanks to the very friendly LHS that collects kits off a range of people so has things that are rare and very expensive on ebay for a reasonable price. The detail up set was a little harder to find but thanks to hobby easy it was in my possession along with the detail up set for the Peugeot which is very difficult to find. Plan is to mostly do this out of the box with the detail parts but might carbon fibre a few bits so that it matches the prototype.

One odditity with this kit is the diecast panel that underpins the whole thing. I've built another JGTC car that used a similar panel for the underside of the car. It adds quite a decent amount of weight to the car and the only real downside with it is it makes the car difficult to handle once it's complete i.e. when pulling it off the shelf for dusting and the like.

• Like 5

I started this kit last night before posting the thread this morning so I have a little progress to show. I like to build up sub assemblies and the body before I move onto painting. I have all of the piece I need attached to the body for now including the arch extensions on the front which tamiya would have you attach after the body is painted so that you can paint the underside of it black. I reckon I can get a brush in there after its painted and the join on the real car is smooth so I have glued and filled them.

mwYSkKwh.jpg

In addition to this I built up another few sub assemblies inluding the wheels and their supports which you can see in the next couple of photos. While this looks like it makes them harder to build a majority of it will be hidden inside the body and in addition to this I do a large majority of my painting with a brush. This has been particularly important over this summer as it has been very wet and rather cold outside which is not conducive to airbrushing particularly when the only space you have is en plein air.

6xqsVZYh.jpg

EV2p07Fh.jpg

Thanks for looking and more later

• Like 4

A little further progress. 

Theres a couple of odd design decisions in this kit. The first is the die cast chassis which limits the amount of detail on the underside of the car. I got the front and rear axles assembled and painted. As you can see the detail is a little lacking but will be made a little better when the photo etch and details go on. 

9pIu4rxh.jpg

fs9cURjh.jpg

I've also got the body ready to paint but will have to wait till that turns up from Melbourne. I was originally going to use some leftover zero paints white as the basecoat before doing the fluro red but the weather is working against me atm so paint from a can will have to do. I decided to paint the headlight buckets, mount the clear parts of the lights and then the covers which have been masked up. If you follow the tamiya directions you paint the body and the lenses before attaching them to the body but it seemed a little bottom about so I've squared them away before I get the body in colour. 

h1MQrQ7h.jpg

vcPEXDWh.jpg

I do realise that there is a slight gap around the front vents but I am willing to live with it as recitfying the situation would cause a large amount of rework in that area.

Next up will be the drivers cockpit which is the last major component before I start painting the body and getting it decalled. Hopefully theres some clear weather when it comes to getting the clear coat done so that I can use my usual zero paints premixed clear which I started using when my usual tamiya clear become very hard to get during the endless lockdowns caused by Covid. 

Thanks for looking and more soon.

• Like 6

Great kit. Not seen one built before so I'll be watching along. I have a Tamiya JGTC NSX in my stash also, but it has a plastic chassis. (and an engine).

Nice choice and progress so far :) 

If the chassis is as basic as it looks, why would Tamiya have made the kit this way as it seems to add nothing to the kit, just makes it more awkward for modellers who aren't used to mixed media kits. A moulded plastic floorpan would have been more than ample and probably more detailed 🤔

Are there many kits with this design as I've never come across one before

Ian :) 

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Nice choice and progress so far :) 

If the chassis is as basic as it looks, why would Tamiya have made the kit this way as it seems to add nothing to the kit, just makes it more awkward for modellers who aren't used to mixed media kits. A moulded plastic floorpan would have been more than ample and probably more detailed 🤔

Ian :) 

I only know of 2 others one being the 350Z based JGTC car which I've built previously and the other is the Peugeot 307 WRC car. It seems like an odd time in Tamiya's timeline and I think part of the reason for it was for them to use the kits to build their masterworks collection where they built the whole thing for you. 

Another small update and the conclusion of proceedings till my paint arrives from melbourne. I built up the drivers compartment which is a slight improvement on the rest of the kit but still fairly basic. The detail kit came with material for the seat belts but as you can see in the pic below it's less than desirable. To make something more protypical I had purchased some 2 and 3mm ribbon in the correct colour which I'm glad I did because to me it looks far better than the kit supplied stuff. 

l3p8M7Oh.jpg

2dziL3Bh.jpg

FNUjJimh.jpg

In addition to this I also completed the tires which I'm not super happy with but the rubber is a little degraded and once it's on the shelf you probably won't notice quite so much. 

HnCfLGqh.jpg

S4eGRWLh.jpg

Once the paint arrives the work on the body will continue and this should be concluded fairly quickly.

Thanks for looking in and hopefully I can continue sooner rather than later

• Like 6

Tamiya does things that only Tamiya knows the why of - the mysteries of the Orient... 

They've put die-cast chassis in at least 2 of their 1/48 armour kits, the Stug III and the JGSDF Light Armoured Vehicle, and probably others as well. Apparently it's something to do with the weight giving the perception of quality. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Redstaff said:

The Tamiya McLaren-Mercedes SLR also has a metal floor pan.

The interior of that NSX is looking very nice so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, galaxyg said:

The Tamiya McLaren-Mercedes SLR also has a metal floor pan.

Peugeot 307 WRC also has one. Apparently for "more realistic weighted feel"... Never understood what's the point in static model. Must not have been much of a hit because it hasn't cought on.

Thanks for the compliments. Its an interesting choice for a kit and from previous experience it makes the model hard to handle once it's complete due to the added weight of the completed kit. This is particularly important when it comes to dusting and cleaning models which is the only time they leave the shelf once they are completed.

Paint finally arrived yesterday so it was time to start getting some colour onto the car. Mr Color white spray was applied to the whole body so that the flouro red main body colour will be the brightest it can be. Once this has had time to set I will mask and spray the areas that need to be satin and then the red will be applied. The weather has decided to turn horrible outside so I'm trying to get coats of paint on fairly quick before bringing it back inside into the warmth to dry properly.

mRW9akih.jpg

L277JQGh.jpg

Hopefully more soon

• Like 3

The original plan after the last post was to do the black and then the fluro red but I realised when I started to mask things that it was better to get the red on and then come back and do the black. For the most part the masking of the white did it's job with only a couple of small bits of overspray which I'm annoyed at but it is what it is at the end of the day. I didn't expect the fluro red to be quite as bright as it is but it's nearly eye searing in it's brightness. I'll mask it up for the satin black tomorrow before I begin the decal process. 

xmXfD0Mh.jpg

F9pz5AOh.jpg

More soon!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Mpfiend said:

Very nice so far,

Can I ask what brand of Fluorescent red you have used here? 

Best Regards

Keith

Thank you for the compliments.

It's just TS36 by tamiya as the kit instructions ask for

Work has continued on the NSX with the body decals all being applied. I also took the opportunity to carbon decal the engine cover which although I cannot find clear pictures of it being plain carbon it's a fair assumption to make. Being cartograph jobbies they weren't a problem to apply for the most part although I did have a slight issue with the bottom black decals on the front with part of the decal becoming detached and then affixing itself to the decal above it. It's a little disappointing but I think once the front cannards go on it'll be a little less noticeable. I'd clear the body tomorrow but it looks like the weather will be rather wintery aka a top of 15C which is not the greatest weather for shooting clear. I have a can of TS13 in the stash but I have had problems in the past with that clear eating my decals and ruining the build at the final moment. 

Cartograph is kind enough to supply backing decals for the number cards which means that the fluro red doesn't bleed through at all and something that I wish tamiya did with their own decals. 

LjhUT0Nh.jpg

2eVX8ndh.jpg

4jGVPgkh.jpg

GUnNuzfh.jpg

v9wTdAHh.jpg

Thanks for looking and more soon.

• Like 7