1:48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster ‘Dambuster’ COMPLETE!

With only my 2nd post on this forum, why not make it a biggy.. 

Sorry for the lack of WIP on this guys, I won’t lie, I forgot to take photos as I went along! 

this was my first venture into airbrushing, and enjoyed it very much! Will certainly be carrying on with that way of painting! :) 

I’ll let the photos do the talking.. 

comments and criticisms welcome as always..! 

1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

1/48 Tamiya Lancaster

The only issue I came across was the fit of the alloy undercarriage. Too bendy and flimsy for my shovel fingers, so the port wheel doesn’t quite line up as seen in the final photo.. 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Excellent result from an old mould.  Mine is the biggest kit I've completed and as you say, it went together very well although I remember the engine nacelles weren't a brilliant fit - maybe they have been updated in later releases.  A good candidate for airbrushing - brush painting took ages!

A lovely model indeed Daniel! I'm impressed with your airbrush skills as a relative novice!

I really liked the exhaust weathering you've done. The weathering in general is pretty good . I like a slight weathering on a model as it can be overdone (made this mistake myself a few times i have to say) You can certainly be proud of this. I have this example but have yet to start it. I'll take note of your slightly flimsy U/C point when i do mine. 

Just as an aside AJ-J's crew members on the Dams raid were

• David Maltby, Pilot
  • Vivian Nicholson, Navigator
  • John Fort, Bomb Aimer
  • William Hatton, Flight Engineer
  • Antony Stone, Wireless Operator
  • Victor Hill - Air gunner
  • H T Simmonds - Air gunner

The aircraft was the 5th to attack the Mohne dam and scored a direct hit making a large breach in the dam wall. 

Regards,

Andy

Nicely built and very well painted. Its a real challenge to paint something this size with an airbrush. Well done!

Just one tiny criticism. It's the second Tamiya Lank posted today with the tail guns upside down; the outer guns are supposed to be the higher ones. I think there must be an ambiguity on the instruction sheet. I did it too.