1/72 Airfix Spitfire mk1.a

A few pics of my recently finished Airfix mk1.a Spit that I built for part of a group build on another forum I frequent so no build thread on here I'm afraid.

It's been built to represent N3277 originally from 234. Squadron RAF. Built as part of a September 1938 order for 200 Spitfires, N3277 was flown for the first time on 5 January 1940. After being passed to 24 Maintenance Unit on 16 January, the aircraft was assigned to squadron service on 15 April.

While on patrol N3277, flown by Pilot Officer Richard Hardy, was attacked by Messerschmitt Bf 109s of Jagdgeschwader 53 and damaged while near the Isle of White.

After making a forced landing near Cherbourg, France, Pilot Officer Hardy became a Prisoner of War, while N3277 was quickly repaired, repainted in Luftwaffe markings, and sent to Germany for evaluation, which included the eventual fitting of a Daimler Benz engine.

The final fate of N3277 is unrecorded.

It's pretty much out of the box but with the addition of Luftwaffe decals, resin wheels and rear control surfaces and a quick diorama base showing two Luftwaffe pilots "comparing notes" on the performance of the aircraft 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, Hairtrigger said:

Great build....   That's a bit different really like it and the history behind it...   Wonder why they stuck a Daimler engine in it?  

I think they did it to see what the performance would be like with the Daimler power plant. 

I can't find any pictures of N3277 after the conversion to the Daimler engine but apparently they also did the same conversion on a Mk Vb and apparently it was very popular with Luftwaffe pilots due to the combination of the Spit's handling and the extra 150 or so hp of the DB 605A lump. So I'd imagine that it'd look similar to the aforementioned Vb. 

28 minutes ago, Steve27752 said:

It looks good with the Swastikas……Just one small point, the tailplane should be horizontal and not at an angle.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next Mk1a that's in the stash. 

Edited by Arthur_Dent
  • Thanks 1