Lancaster JB141 UM-N2 of 626 Squadron

On 07/05/2022 at 08:27, Reg Gibson said:

My next stage of the journey is to find the missing airman who was found hanging from a tree the night of the crash a couple of hundred yards from the crash site.  He was taken away.  

The German love of record keeping should reveal the detail but it's the German archives i'm going to have to tackle

Lets hope you can track this very brave young man's final resting place down. I presume he's not in the War Graves Commission records?

Good luck with German archives! I hope Volker can aid you. My german language at best are modest. You'll need a native speaker for sure.

Have you also looked at the National Archives at Kew? The casualty forms submitted have a number of German archive documents taken in to Allied custody at the end of the war? 

Try WO 416/49

WO 416/49 is searchable by individual card in the catalogue - you can browse the descriptions for the individual cards here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C16588334

Maybe also have a look at  

AIR Ministry P4 Casualty forms in the  AIR 81/ xxx catalogue?

Apologies if you've already looked at these.

The National Archives website has a Live Chat function. The people who man it are very helpful and might turn up something unexpected? 

Kind Regards

Andy 

• Thanks 1

On 08/05/2022 at 15:16, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Lets hope you can track this very brave young man's final resting place down. I presume he's not in the War Graves Commission records?

Good luck with German archives! I hope Volker can aid you. My german language at best are modest. You'll need a native speaker for sure.

Have you also looked at the National Archives at Kew? The casualty forms submitted have a number of German archive documents taken in to Allied custody at the end of the war? 

Try WO 416/49

WO 416/49 is searchable by individual card in the catalogue - you can browse the descriptions for the individual cards here: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C16588334

Maybe also have a look at  

AIR Ministry P4 Casualty forms in the  AIR 81/ xxx catalogue?

Apologies if you've already looked at these.

The National Archives website has a Live Chat function. The people who man it are very helpful and might turn up something unexpected? 

Kind Regards

Andy 

Andy, lots to look through.

Thanks for the direction.
The assumption has always been that they were all killed and one of the crew is commemorated at Runnymede.

We've never assumed that the 7th man survived

• Like 1