#4 - "What's Uncle Richie building..... a 1/48th Macross YF-19 - finished

trickyrich

Ok  as mentioned in the chat time for a wee bit of fun.

Yes i had to go shopping for paint today and while I was there something just happened to just into the basket and then home whithout me knowing...... well that what I told SHMBO!    :chair:    :D

So what did I buy?

• Well it's more than suitable for this build.
  • It's recognisable as being Japanese but doesn't have Japanese markings.
  • No one's building one yet.
  • I haven't talked about it at all, but strangely I have 3 others in the stash including a VERY special resin one (had forgotten I had them).
  • It'll be an OOB build, going together very quickly (well for me it does), it's not a Snaptite model and only has one colour plastic (it have clears bits too) not the normal couple you expect.

So what did Uncle Richie buy?

So have a go and guess, it not a common everyday model, but it's on Scalemates with others in the range, while I build LOTS these I don't normally build this type  :wicked: , it's a first time here. I would have listed the model number as a hint but after looking at it the first 2 letters will give it away, all I'll say is it's "01" in the range.

I have started it and done most of the "modular" construction, needs painting before I can continue, I have taken photos too.

As soon as someone gets it (will accept being very close) I'll post the build...... or until I'm almost completed it... I'll take my time.... 

Hhmm... "01" is usually linked to Evangelion, or to be more precise "Eva Unit 01".  If I have alot to answer for, then it must be something related to what I have said?  I doubt it's the Nadesico again, possibly the Eva Crayfish? :D  Oh I know!  You have bought the first in the series from the Naked Angel series!  You've got Moe Amatsuka! :D Maybe a RG Eva01?

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Hhmm... "01" is usually linked to Evangelion, or to be more precise "Eva Unit 01".  If I have alot to answer for, then it must be something related to what I have said?  I doubt it's the Nadesico again, possibly the Eva Crayfish? :D  Oh I know!  You have bought the first in the series from the Naked Angel series!  You've got Moe Amatsuka! :D Maybe a RG Eva01?

Kind regards,

Dazz

I was going to bar you from this, but good to see you're off on the wrong track......in a way! :D

the "-01" refers to the model series....the first 2 letters are constants....... but they will give it away. But if you happen to come across was you think it might be then PM me. Can't make it too easy for everyone! :D 

• Haha 1

no but someone needs to build one of them!!!

They are awesome, travelled between Tokyo and Kyoto on them....best trains ever!!!! Even better with the box meals and beer you can buy at the stations. :thumbsup: Very bad if you want to try to take a photo of Mt Fuji from it...bloody poles keep getting in the way when travelling that fast!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

They are awesome, travelled between Tokyo and Kyoto on them....best trains ever!!!! Even better with the box meals and beer you can buy at the stations. :thumbsup: Very bad if you want to try to take a photo of Mt Fuji from it...bloody poles keep getting in the way when travelling that fast!

Ive been told a way to do this is to shoot video then in edit isolate one cell of the video thats clear ? Of course Im using cellular so maybe not allowed, Ive heard cellular use is frowned on the trains ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

They are awesome indeed. When I got home again and took the train here I wondered when it was going to finally speed up, but it was already doing its usual 140kph. At least you got to see Mt. Fuji from the train. When I passed it, it was hazy.

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive been told a way to do this is to shoot video then in edit isolate one cell of the video thats clear ? Of course Im using cellular so maybe not allowed, Ive heard cellular use is frowned on the trains ? 

Using them to make phone calls on the train is frowned upon. Everything else is no problem, as long as it doesn't make any noise. Everybody uses their phone all the time on the train in Japan, just not for calling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Pete said:

Using them to make phone calls on the train is frowned upon. Everything else is no problem, as long as it doesn't make any noise. Everybody uses their phone all the time on the train in Japan, just not for calling.

Besides the U.K. I also would like to live in Japan for a few years. Ive become quite interested in the history, culture, and people. Every piece of knowledge gets me a bit closer. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Besides the U.K. I also would like to live in Japan for a few years. Ive become quite interested in the history, culture, and people. Every piece of knowledge gets me a bit closer. 

it's one of those places you just have to go to, and it's so much better than you'd expect it to be, it's one of my favourite places to go to and the locals are just so nice, I adore the place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dansk said:

is it this? :)

I've actually got one of these kits, well more specifically I have the Eevee kit.  Built up really quickly actually.

Kind regard,

Dazz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I started this as  bit of a game, was going to give hint offer $1000 to the person that guessed correctly……. but I got bored as I have the attention span of a nat. Plus I probably would have finished it before anyone guessed right anyway!!  :P

Anyway I was one of the hobby stores stocking up on paint and I just happened to see this, well not quite. I was a pile of the 1/72nd versions. They look good but they’re in the wrong scale for me. I was just about the leave and I saw this beauty hiding on the top shelf.

IMG_7172-L.jpg

I didn’t realize they released them in 1/48th, I later found I had 3 already in 1/72nd including a upper rare full resin version! (Told you I had a short attention span).

IMG_7182-L.jpg

IMG_7181-L.jpg

So the dye was cast, a 4th build!!! 

Truth be told these are such a breeze to build, they’re nicely detailed and moulded, far better than a lot of other Hasegawa models of this era. Plus they go together so quickly as they can be built and painted in modules.

IMG_7173-L.jpg

IMG_7174-L.jpg

…… and she’s a big sucker as well!

IMG_7175-L.jpg

So after a short bit of work some of the major modules are done.

IMG_7176-L.jpg

Gear and cockpit, will add a wee dude to the cockpit as well.

IMG_7177-L.jpg

Some guns and the back of the robot dudes head…..

IMG_7178-L.jpg

It has a weird wing setup, they aren’t movable as such but you have a choice of 2 positions for them.

With wings out she’s bigger than an F-15 in the same scale.

IMG_7180-L.jpg

So with the engine exhaust cans/feet (?), done time for some paint, mostly so I can close up the fuselage. 

IMG_7196-L.jpg

The intakes are white and grey, plus there are Black cheatlines on them, easiest to do that now.

IMG_7194-L.jpg

Looks quite good.

IMG_7193-L.jpg

The cockpit is painted…...

IMG_7195-L.jpg

…..and so is the gun…..

IMG_7197-L.jpg

…. the feet/nozzles get a special treatment with metallic paint, the top parts are that colour because of the light, they are actually the same colour as the lower ones…..

IMG_7198-L.jpg

……and so the fuselage is closed up.

IMG_7202-L.jpg

A few other bits are added and here we are for now.  The rear end does look pretty cool.

IMG_7201-L.jpg

So on the ground with the wings forward….

IMG_7199-L.jpg

….and flying at hyper speed with them back.

IMG_7200-L.jpg

Am absolutely loving this build, it’s so much fun, she goes together like a dream, and is a nice break from the more serious builds. Will put her aside for a couple of days and concentrate on the F-15, am about to do the next colour, will be decaling her on the weekend.

The Gekko, have hit a snag with the canopy, I need to somehow attach a resin gunsight and mount to the top part of the frame of a flimsy vacform acrylic canopy……..not an easy task at all! Am now building a new canopy frame inside the canopy!!! That’s lots of fun! I need to do this before I can start to paint her which I’m ready to do.

I should have all 3 done by the end of the month, so who knows I may even get to start build #3….yeh I know I’m out of order here!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• trickyrich changed the title to #4 - "What's Uncle Richie building..... a Macross YF-19.......and he's started it

Woohoo!  Finally an update on this, I have been waiting for this ;)  I would of guessed more but I thought I was disqualified. :D 

I do love the shape of the Excalibur and Macross Plus is one of my favourite OVA's/films.  It is based on the competition between the YF-22 and YF-23 back in the 90's didn't you know?  If you can find it, there is an artwork book called "Valkyries : First Sortie" that has some amazing artwork in it from the show, or it could be the Second Sortie now I think of it.

I only build in 1/72 for Macross things, but this one is beautifully moulded and you are going well with her.  Looking forward to some more. :)

Kind regards,

Darren

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

gosh I'm way back on the 3rd page!!! :yikes:

Ok a good update for this build, of all the builds I’m doing this is the simplest, so I’m trying to get this one out of the way.

Gosh this is such a nice build, best about it I think (well for me) is that you can do this all in modules and assemble it right at the end.

So in the style I like to build I’m doing the paint job a bit different…..backwards! The colour of the model is a very light beige colour with decals for the red and black bits. It might make the finishing bit easier with decals, but it won’t look as good, so I will paint these. Normally you’d do these decals last, but wanted to try something a bit different and do them first.

So first off everything was masked off for the black……and I forgot to take photos of most of it  :doh: , but it did look cool.

IMG_7221-L.jpg

Next more masking and a quick coat of white where required then the red bit…. and yes no photos here either! :whistle:

So all the red & black bits were masked (actually I do love masking) ready for a grey undercoat (Tamiya XF-80) and some light panel line work with Neutral Grey.

IMG_7222-L.jpg

The main colour which is a 50/50 mix of Gunze Lacquer White & Real Color lacquer Radome Tan, thinned with automotive Clear Acrylic Lacquer thinners, quite a mouth full! But the paint finish was perfect, a super smooth flat finish. Going on nice and thin and with the pre-shading it gave the finish some life, unfortunately because it’s a light colour you can’t see it in the photos.

IMG_7223-L.jpg

So how did all that masking go………

IMG_7224-L.jpg

…just a couple of spots that needed touching up (I did these by hand with a brush), but wow it does look really nice, super happy with the result.

IMG_7225-L.jpg

She is going to look quite impressive when done (will have to buy some of the other 1/48th beasts in the series), though I still have even more masking and painting to go. This will all be next weekend, still probably a ouple of weeks to go before she’s done.

IMG_7226-L.jpg

IMG_7227-L.jpg

Size wise she’s a bit bigger than an F-15!

IMG_7228-L.jpg

I’m away all next week with work, so will take the F-15 with me to finish off the decaling as I need to get this one out of the way as well.

Plus a new addition to the stash……I got it for almost a steal compared to what they are going for on evilBay! :yahoo:

efgf-m61a5-main-battle-tank-type-61-M.jp

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to #4 - "What's Uncle Richie building..... a Macross YF-19....... painted

That's looking really good.  I am really liking the details on it, but it's way too big for and my man shed. :(

I had a quick look at 1/48 Macross models out of curosity and there only seems to be about 5 versus the 100+ in 1/72.

Still, looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  I think the greatest thing about the Macross kits is that you can build them up in modeules.  A feature I wish I had known 20 years ago when I started my Super Valkyrie - oh well.

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have been doing little bits to this build, most just lots more masking and tiding up the paint job.

The painting here is almost completed, mostly I wanted to use as little of the decals as possible (all the black and red bits were decals), which turned out to be a very good idea!!!!!!

All the painting is completed here, and she was just waiting for a clear coat. For this I used Alclad’s Klear Gloss, which actually went on quite nicely.

IMG_7231-L.jpg

IMG_7232-L.jpg

So with the clear on, decaling…… and they are typical Hasegawa decals for the period, thick, don't like to conform, split if you look at them wrong and generally a pain to use. Thank goodness I masked and painted all those red and black bits!!!

IMG_7243-L.jpg

I even found time to paint the little dude, he needs a clear coat, wash, flat coat, dry brush and final touch-up. After all that he should look ok.

IMG_7244-L.jpg

Still a few more of those horrible tiny decals to go. She really needs a panel wash to lose some of that “model” look, and weathering .......that will be very slight if any.

This one I can finally say should be completed on the weekend, not too much to go and I really do love this build!

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to #4 - "What's Uncle Richie building..... a 1/48th Macross YF-19....... 29/6 update
  • 2 months later...

Wow this thread was right at the bottom of the pile!!

Ok time to call this one done….well it has been 99% done for the past couple of weeks, just hadn’t gotten around to painting the Robot Dudes head….well the back of it. It’s the thing with the grey antenna sticking out of it.

I loved the model, was great fun to build and would recommend it to everyone who wants a nice simple fun build.

What I didn’t like was my paint job, namely the gloss clear coat, stuffed it up and wasn’t happy!!! But I now may have found a new technique that really seems to work.

Other than the basic info stencils and roundels, everything else was masked and painting, and with the Hasegawa decals being so thick, I would recommend doing this.

Thanks for following, sorry so slow in posting final post.

More photos will be in the gallery and in the Scifi RFI section....have never been there before.....hope they are friendly.....well they're in for a shock with me showing up!! :D

i-d3hrSq5-XL.jpg

i-S4rKWxL-XL.jpg

i-Hg2fsVw-XL.jpg

i-B5qs8Fk-XL.jpg

i-d6RnB3M-XL.jpg

i-5pzd2Pq-XL.jpg

i-QzPQMf7-XL.jpg

i-sN9j44d-XL.jpg

i-2wHzBcn-XL.jpg

i-xcpWXmT-XL.jpg

• Like 2

• trickyrich changed the title to #4 - "What's Uncle Richie building..... a 1/48th Macross YF-19 - finished
4 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's a pretty cool build there Rich!

What's your new technique for gloss coating?

So far I've only tried it on some small stuff, but basically you do a couple of coats of lacquer clear gloss to get some nice layers, can use retarder. Then as soon as possible after the last coat of clear gloss then do a layer of 90-95% thinner and do a wet coat. This is the tricky bit you want to wet the surface just enough to cause the previous clear layers to "melt" (well not quite) and self level out. On the 2 small things I've tried this on I get perfectly smooth finishes...... now just need to build up the courage to do the Sukhoi!!

One of my local club members shared this with me (Gary Wickham), he writes reviews for some of the modelling magazines, his clear finishes (and finishes in general) are always stunning!! Here's a link to his site.

• Like 1