Clear the Stash #15. Wellington II

spacer.pngThis is last years Xmas present from my son. It’s the 2021 boxing of the 2018 issue of the Wellington, this time in its Mk.II form. Built OOB aside from Uschi wire.

As with many new Airfix kits it’s very well detailed inside and out, has decent decals and good fit. It also has the typical downside namely that it is unforgiving of any errors. It’s also frustrating that so much of the internal detail, including the bomb bay, will never be seen.

Paint was Humbrol 29 and 116 for the topsides together with a mix of Humbrol 14 and 33 for the undersides.

Problems.

-I didn’t quite assemble the rear turret correctly and, new Airfix being unforgiving, it resulted in the whole thing being skew whiff causing problems with fitting the transparency. Lots of swear words and hacking bits off the plastic ensued.

-The turret guns were asymmetric in length. I think they were short shot and by the time I’d twigged it was too late. Hey ho

-The decals for the version I modelled were too large for the fuselage ( or the placement instructions were wrong). You can see the result in the photos with the tail plane encroaching over the lettering

-Like other reviewers I had difficulty with the nacelles that even serious clamping struggled with. Again, like others, I did away with the (invisible) engine bulkheads to help reduce the (very visible) gaps

-The angle of the open cockpit windows is different to that of the recesses into which they are supposed to fit.

So, excellent kit, just be careful to assemble it precisely, check carefully for short shot and decal the other version to mine..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Nice one. Maybe a bit shiny?

Perhaps but I rarely see completely Matt aircraft in contemporary photographs except in the harshest environments such as the Western Desert. Most have a sheen. The trick is to get the right level of reflectiveness. For most models I do nowadays I varnish with Xtracrylix Matt Varnish which, counter intuitively, gives the sort of satin sheen I look for. YMMV 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1