RF-4E 501 Sqn Final Year Scheme

Jabba

For this GB I will be making a RF-4E from 501 Sqn in one of their Final Year colour schemes. This is part 2 of a 3 part project havin built a RF-4EJ earlier in the year. As you can see this one is in the Sea camouflage and for the major decals I will be using a set by DXM. I will however be using the steencils from the kit sheet as I found with my other built it is vertually impossible to see which decal is which on the instructions let alone of the decal sheet. Have a look at the photo below.

The kit.

2cYbEhS.jpg

Whats inside.

X7A5Jc8.jpg

Kit instructions.

FUpoWsi.jpg

Kit decals.

jH9z2Df.jpg

DXM decals (look at where the stencils are and how they appear on the sheet).

u7cDtNt.jpg

• Like 11

Welcome along Jabba with a great choice, another Phantom!!  :thumbsup:

These Japanese F-4's will be popular mostly due to the amazing schemes they had, plus of curse it's a Phantom as well!

The DXM decals are really nice to use though I do remember spending hours playing "Where's Wally" trying to find where they all go. Though I have found that Foxbot has taken this game to "diabolical" level!!!!

Good luck with the build, it's a great scheme and i look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

Ooh, looking forward to this.  One of my favorite Phantom schemes.  :wub:

Wee should start a book to see how long it takes before Chris add one of these to the ever growing Phantom collection!!   :D

17 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Wee should start a book to see how long it takes before Chris add one of these to the ever growing Phantom collection!!   :D

I was referring to the SEA scheme on the JASDF Phantoms in general.  I do have the "Final Year" JASDF RF-4E (1/48) in the green/grey scheme though.  :whistle:

I have made a start on this one with the cockpit, rear fuselage and wings. I have glued the cockpit to the nose U/C bay (which at ths stage I would not normally do) due to the fact that the the both the rear bulkheads were rather a sloppy fit, so it was done so that I could get a better line up fit for these parts. I have also remembered to drill out the pylon holes before putting them together.  I have some extras to remove from the wings and have to fill the joint line on the flaps and then I will make some cut lines so that I am able to drrop the ailerons. The cockpit and instrument panles have had some Klear to them so that I cam apply the decals. I have also added a photo of some info that I can look at, with one of them by @Red Dotof this parish.

tnGutPL.jpg

orETEKK.jpg

hF7ntw1.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Ahhh, thanks Jabba.

Let me know if you need any colour help. The book should cover everything, but you never know

Andy

Thanks Andy. I have got some of those Vic Hobby paints for this type of colour scheme, so hopefully I will be alright. But you never know with the way things have gone for me of late.

Thanks and now I have built a bit more. The cockpit is together and I will tone it down with some dry brushing before I fit it to one of the Fwd Fuselage halves. I have also fitted the camera equipment that is provided and then wondering what Fine Molds would do in this area if they ever get around to doing a Recce Phantom. The Wings and Rear Fuselage parts have been filled and sanded down, plus I have dropped the ailerons. Finally I have got the fuel tanks together and started to fill and sand them down. I will hopefully get the Fuselage parts together before the next update.

a69ME4o.jpg

wtu7zvf.jpg

p2XdiCo.jpg

qfR7oSh.jpg

ONNclsV.jpg

• Like 7

Something of interest in the camera bay anyways.  The Fujimi kit doesn't have anything, so I ended up scratch building something just to fill the windows when I did my Luftwaffe RF-4E.

On 01/05/2022 at 02:56, Thom216 said:

Nice work on the scratch-camera.

Thanks all, yes it is good to have something in the camera bays and these are not scratch built, but supplied with the kit. That is why I was wondering what Fine Molds would do if they do carry on with their Phantoms and do a recce aircraft. I have almost got this one altogether, with a bit of scraping and test fitting I hops that I have it lined up without the need for too much filling. There are some parts that are specific to these Japanese Phantoms, such as the fin cap (shown) and the the folding part of the wings with their own unique tips. I now have to sort out the intakes and see how they fit.

9RKV0Xi.jpg

bV0SvZz.jpg

oqGi0qy.jpg

MDfNEqx.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

All together now and sanded down. I have got a little bit of preperation to do before I spray the U/C bays and I think that I will add the inner wing pylons, although from the paintng instructions these are a different colout than the main airframe. I will see, plus I am a little undecided as to whether to have the canopies in the open position and if closed I will add them before painting.

ea5BwGB.jpg

yEZcvHa.jpg

hywPME7.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Looks nice and smooth. What paints are you using for the ocean camouflage? I’ve just ordered Mr Color’s 374 & 375 for mine.

When I first looked into this project of 3 arcraft, having got the DXM Decals I went and bought all the Mr Color paints for all 3 schemes. I had never used these paints before so was a bit worried about using them especially being a hair stick user, but I thought in for a penny, in for a pound. When I used the paints for the RF-4EJ scheme in the Phantom GB last year (I think) I ran into a lot of problems with the first colour and abandoned the model. Whilst looking through HLJ at their paint ranges I found that Vic Hobby did all the colours that I required in handy sets, so I bought the lot and a bit more incase I ran out and restarted that build. The 2 paints that I am using are below from the set below that. Unfortunately this set is not now available, but they do a set for the Mitsubishi F-2, which are slightly different from the F-4, as listed on the side of this set box.

The story of the Mr Color paints is here:- 

The paints I am using for this build.

YIg613q.jpg

Thet set that the ycome from.

aUdtpfM.jpg

uBu5Z7P.jpg

• Like 6

On 19/05/2022 at 04:55, Jabba said:

The paints I am using for this build.

I’ve not seen these before, but they look like they give a great result - and I can see on their labelling that they’re both brush and airbrush compatible! I’ll airbrush my Mr Colors so that should 🤞 yield a good result. Just gotta make a start though!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I have been a bit slow with some updates, but my computer has been hacked, so it has been with someone who has repaired it. I have now finished painting the Darker Blue. Since these photos have been taken I have painted the Black on the nose area and the metal panels at the tail end. Those will need a bit of refining later, but I have alos applied a couple of coats of Klear so I should be ready for decalling. I will post some more up to date photos later. I have notice on some actual pictures in the reference book that I have that the lighter blue appears to be very scruffy, so I wondering how I will do this at a later stage.

5wCt4Bm.jpg

GOfHO4c.jpg

• Like 7

The last lot of photos above were taken when my computer was being fixed. Here now are the most up to date pictures. Over the last couple of days I have fitted the majority of the bigger decals from the DXM sheet. These have fitted superbly especially the ones that form the sharkmouth around the nose camera area. I still have a few from this sheet to fit so that the stencils go with the ones fitted as part of a big decal before I start to add the stancils from the Hasegawa sheet.

UvT2Fs6.jpg

EsYRvRf.jpg

V3OdNyM.jpg

UxPMZ7o.jpg

• Like 8