Local residents of RAF Lakenheath 20th April 2022

Hello all

Because the weather forecast was good (and accurate 😉), I spent one of the last mornings of my Easter holiday at the "forest entrance" outside RAF Lakenheath.

The first take-offs were two pairs of F-35As (call signs "Lord 1 & 2" and "Howler 1 & 2"), followed immediately by two pairs of F-15Es (call signs "Corvette 11-14"). Following on nearly 2 hours later were three more Strike Eagles using "Loki" call signs ( one jet went tech.)

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0398.jpg

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

DSC_0568.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A super and varied selection of shots Leigh. Lots of Lightning action, some nice topsides and cockpit close ups. You were lucky that both weather was nice AND the base was busy. It's usually either one or the other!

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, canberraman said:

A super and varied selection of shots Leigh. Lots of Lightning action, some nice topsides and cockpit close ups. You were lucky that both weather was nice AND the base was busy. It's usually either one or the other!

Mark

Hi Mark. 

I hope you're well. 

I was supposed to be decorating today, but saw the forecast and as my wife was working away....😉

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the shots. There should have been more Reapers action, but one of them went tech and the IT guy was called because CTRL-ALT-DEL didn't work!🤣

24 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Very nice set of shots and some fluff too! Looks like you picked a glorious day to go. 

Thanks for the kind words, Latinbear! I wasn't expecting any fluff, but that guy was full of the joys of spring with a flamboyant take off and a hard pull up! I wonder if he was punishing his WSO?🤭

PS I've just noticed that the flamboyance continued after he landed - 303 is the jet with the open air brake at EOR!

• Like 1

Nice day and nice pics. I notice the F-35 s fitted with sidewinder launch rails and one even carrying one.   The type not being one of my likes  though.  I like the Eagles though.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, Paul. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. I'm not a Lightning fan either, but I suppose we will "get used" to them! The Eagles seem so much more charismatic!

We noticed the Sidewinder rails on some of the F-35s last week. It seems to defeat the object, somewhat!

• Like 1

Great shots all, lovely variation and lots to pore over. The F-35 is growing on me, it certainly looks very racy in the metallic looking finish. Wonder if that was a $1k extra for paint option?! 🤭

• Haha 3

Great photos. And the sidewinder rails slightly improve the look of the thing in my eyes.

I take it the Cs are completely finished now. Are they already in the bone yard?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Filler said:

I take it the Cs are completely finished now.

With the usual health warning that it has been taken from the internet (Fighter Control), the latest report I have seen dated 20 April is that there still four F-15Cs at Lakenheath which are due to return to the United States together with a fifth example, coded 84-0001, which has run out of flying hours but will apparently be retained as a Ground Instruction Airframe.

34 minutes ago, Filler said:

Are they already in the bone yard?

No, it looks like all of the former 493rd FS F-15s are being reallocated to US based Air National Guard squadrons.

An excellent set of pictures @Alpha Delta 210, a sunny day well spent, it looks like at least one of the F-15Es was carrying inert 1,000 pound Mk.83 bombs ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Wonderful detailed shots yet again, thank you for posting 🙂

Colin

Hi Colin. I hope you're well. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the shots from my chilly morning of decorating escapism!

1 hour ago, Filler said:

Great photos. And the sidewinder rails slightly improve the look of the thing in my eyes.

I take it the Cs are completely finished now. Are they already in the bone yard?

Thanks for the kind words, Filler. I have read on the Web that the last C models will be leaving for the US next week.

24 minutes ago, Richard E said:

With the usual health warning that it has been taken from the internet (Fighter Control), the latest report I have seen dated 20 April is that there still four F-15Cs at Lakenheath which are due to return to the United States together with a fifth example, coded 84-0001, which has run out of flying hours but will apparently be retained as a Ground Instruction Airframe.

No, it looks like all of the former 493rd FS F-15s are being reallocated to US based Air National Guard squadrons.

An excellent set of pictures @Alpha Delta 210, a sunny day well spent, it looks like at least one of the F-15Es was carrying inert 1,000 pound Mk.83 bombs ?

Thanks for the update, Richard. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the pictures and am really pleased that the Eagles are going on to give more service to their country. 

I heard that the bombed-up Strike Eagles were heading to the Aberporth Range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

Excellent  photographs  Alpha Delta 210.

EXQUISITE and seems like you had a fantastic  day.

Thank you.

:wub:   :heart:

:worthy:

Fancy doing MY decorating?

:wicked:

Thanks very much, Houston. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. 

As for the decorating? Let me think about it......

...... No!!🤣