Citroen Traction Avant in US MP service

2 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Hi Vytautas, in effect I was thinking to left all open  after it received a direct an 88 shot!☺️
ciao Filippo

Alright, alright, this changes the situation.
But I advise you not to stop halfway - why not hit the car with a 500 kg bomb? In this case, we would definitely see the gears in the gearbox, the internal structure of the carburetor, and a lot of other pleasant and interesting small things... :)

Vytautas

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here some painting progress.
First a XF-58 Olive Green base over sprayed with XF-88 dark yellow 2. I made minor scratches overall and a light coat of XF-88 dark yellow 2 (with a litthe XF-2 Flat White) again.
sW1EC2i.jpg

oHxj1bH.jpg

LcbLvLP.jpg

YZBgJwC.jpg

ZrkOAF4.jpg

About the wheels I prefered to use two Def Models ones as imho are better detailed and correctly narrow than Hussars one. 

XZerBBZ.jpg

bnrcrY8.jpg

A wheel was painted with XF-3 Flat yellow. At first I wanted a red one but I think that yellow is better as it gives a nice colour contrast. Somewhere I read that yellow wheels were from 1934 or 1937 production runs but I'm not sure. Any help?.

01KFx1S.jpg

I added some dirt and leaves on the very neglected floor

QaUQ4iY.jpg

3bVQdir.jpg

r7FNo0I.jpg

My idea was to show very dirt and consumed seats. On a XF-55 Deck tan I used XF-52 Flat Earth and some XF-2 Black to darkening the central areas

EM4s0Q4.jpg

Hope you like it.
Now two problems.

deHuXYq.jpg

First is about camouflage paints. It seems to me that bonnet area, originally painted with German dark yellow,  was then over sprayed by US with their Olive green in order to cover the areas not painted with German dark green and German red brown. It could be an idea to avoid friend fire on captured vehicle but who knows...  

Second. US white star on bonnet was a five points o four points?
Many thanks in advance. 
Ciao
Filippo

• Like 12

Odd. It's not painted on at all, it looks more like two lengths of white cloth draped over the bonnet in an 'X'. But why do that when it already has US MP and stars all over it.

Have you decided what it says on the roof? U.S.A or U.S.M.P?

• Like 3

Hi Ned. I'm with you. It is an "X" not a star. I think that on roof is "U.S.M.P." with coherence with all the other stencils tahat say "U.S." and not U.S.A.. The problem to me is to paint correctly in scale🤔.

Ciao

Filippo 

For a better control of spraying camo colours I used AK weathering pencils as a guide. Ciao Filippo

UFpx6WS.jpg

pGsKV0S.jpg

5jRNyGn.jpg

• Like 10

Here some pics with camo added using Tamiya XF-79 Linoleun deck brown and XF-89 Dark green 2.
PtwDnwP.jpg

fyQKgWG.jpg

x7ASxTT.jpg

H7K7Myy.jpg

Now it is time to solve the colour shade on bonnet. Here some ideas with XF-51 or XF-62

uhmFRgS.jpg

0icv402.jpg

I think XF-62 is better but any help will be appreciated. 

Ciao
Filippo

• Like 13

On 03/07/2022 at 17:22, Ned said:

Odd. It's not painted on at all, it looks more like two lengths of white cloth draped over the bonnet in an 'X'. But why do that when it already has US MP and stars all over it.

Have you decided what it says on the roof? U.S.A or U.S.M.P?

I also think it is fabric on the hood.

Just wonder what sense it makes?
Who makes the effort and cut out white fabric to then put it on the hood?
White paint was available as you can see.

We will probably never know the reason..., or will we?

• Like 1

Thank you MD!

I  have come to the conclusion that on bonnet stands a 4 point cross. I ignore the reason why crew avoided a painted (rough) five points star🤔 but ... who knows.

Now my problem is to reproduce U.S. M.P. U.S.A. Felt pen (which brand?), pointed brush? airbrush with stencils?😩

Ciao

Filippo

On 13/07/2022 at 16:03, Phil1960 said:

Thank you MD!

I  have come to the conclusion that on bonnet stands a 4 point cross. I ignore the reason why crew avoided a painted (rough) five points star🤔 but ... who knows.

Now my problem is to reproduce U.S. M.P. U.S.A. Felt pen (which brand?), pointed brush? airbrush with stencils?😩

Ciao

Filippo

Molotow?

On 19/07/2022 at 17:27, Stef N. said:

Molotow?

On 13/07/2022 at 17:03, Phil1960 said:

Thank you MD!

Ciao

Filippo

Molotow pens are excellent-if you have a steady hand, they should work 😁

However, I would rather use diy decals.
Print the desired text (1000 font templates in the www) on transparent decal paper in a light colour, e.g. beige.
You can then paint over the decal with the desired shade of white.

Alternatively, the archer transfers are the safest option if you like the font.

MD

spacer.png

• Like 1

Great MD! I think to use Archer Dry Transfers but It seems to me they are out of stock. I'll search on www

Many thanks

Ciao Filippo

Here homemade stencils and stars.
6VBaCv7.jpg

ggQ6pmM.jpg

1NPTSEU.jpg

XG3gBuH.jpg

lGpexSA.jpg

Looking at the pic posted by Hargun on ML I have some doubts:
1. It seems that rear left door have no "U.S." stencil;
2. On rear roof stencil have no point (so USA and not U.S.A.).

zZffHuz.jpg

Any help? Many thanks
TIA
Ciao Filippo

• Like 9

On 25/07/2022 at 08:14, Phil1960 said:

Here homemade stencils and stars.
6VBaCv7.jpg

ggQ6pmM.jpg

1NPTSEU.jpg

XG3gBuH.jpg

lGpexSA.jpg

Looking at the pic posted by Hargun on ML I have some doubts:
1. It seems that rear left door have no "U.S." stencil;
2. On rear roof stencil have no point (so USA and not U.S.A.).

zZffHuz.jpg

Any help? Many thanks
TIA
Ciao Filippo

The stencils look very good 👍
I think also the rear lettering has the dots. Why should the one write in front USA with dots and behind without?
If my bad eyes do not deceive me, you can also see on the photo!? 🤓

• Like 1

Thank you.

MD said "Why should the one write in front USA with dots and behind without?" I'm with you but, on the other hand, "Why did they paint US stencils on right rear door and no US stencils on left rear door? I think they had short time but what they painted was enough to to avoid friend fire (as Pig of the week said).

John, thank you!

Ciao

Filippo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here the writings and stars on. I retouched with acrylic white toned down with black (ratio +/- 15:1). I added some accesories. Figure will be this from Panzer Art, very fine with great details. I'll try to convert as an MP soldier.
Ciao Filippo

CujPezn.jpg

VUKztEs.jpg

vZ60PDy.jpg

8F2ysbq.jpg

c3wWd6I.jpg

Ilkb87y.jpg

• Like 8

Oh, it looks awesome with this paintjob and all the extras you have crammed in it.

And the interior wit all the weathering and chipping - it looks just marvelous to me.

Pure WOW from this side of the screen

Kristjan

• Thanks 1