1/350 Trumpeter USS Arleigh Burke Destroyer

I just put the finishing touches on this one a couple weeks ago, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, especially since it's only my third ship model ever, and my first modern naval kit.  I like to think I'm getting better at the water bases; at least I'm still learning what works and what doesn't.  I augmented the kit with the GMM photo etch set, and painted it with Tamiya acrylics and weathered with Abteilung oils.

lxbZIcd.jpg

khPsbgZ.jpg

yuugoxA.jpg

HWogTIi.jpg

clOeyL9.jpg

lkkV8Ud.jpg

GbXKfbX.jpg

p8DYOqb.jpg

31jza9j.jpg

Q4CKsEf.jpg?1

mSp336n.jpg

ggF9VDW.jpg

bYOVh3Y.jpg

NBq4XZG.jpg

npScF6x.jpg

b9ULhBM.jpg

SFfdtH1.jpg

• Like 70

Unbelievable. That really is a masterpiece. As @coneheadff says, that water looks completely real, the only downside is that you didn't do a build log of it.

The Burke though, oh my. I've been zooming in on this beast and if you can get a shot without the table or something in the background, looks like a photo of the real thing. My favourite part though? It's the foredeck capstan (I know, I'm sorry, and yes I did see the mast, rigging/aerials etc), but the weathering on such a small piece is just so lifelike that it underscores just how good this build is.

Third ship in? Hopefully you've got another one in the works.

David

Edited by Adm Lord De Univers
speeling

That is a Cracking build and the water is superb, really, really nice.

I love the sea surface - gel or putty? - do you mind sharing how you got such a realistic effect?

Outstanding :clap2:

Rob

Thanks so much for the kind words, gents!  I am admittedly very proud of this one.  For the sea, I follow the techniques on the YouTube channel "Studio Blue Ocean".  I believe he is Korean, and I hope to become as good as he is at ship modeling.  The sea base is styrofoam insulation inside a wood frame, with the wave forms cut in and then covered with a layer of clay.  After that, it's painting and varnishing.  A lot.  I'm currently finishing off about a half dozen other projects, and then I'm planning to start doing build logs of some new ones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done, the build is phenomenal for your third build!!!

And the sea!!! So real!!!

Takes me back to my maritime days in the Royal Navy (Pipes you the special on his bosuns call 😃)

• 2 weeks later...

Beautifully done, for your third ship it really is superb modelling. I also follow Studio Blue Ocean (he's in a league of his own!) but you've managed to almost equal his technique with such impressive results 👏👏👏 

Like @Adm Lord De Univers said, it's the small touches that really make the whole thing stand out. Really well done 👍

I'm with everyone else here, that's a superb build. There's nothing to fault here, the sea looks great, detail amazing, weathering superb, bravo 👏

Wow, thanks so much for the comments, everyone!  When I decided to try doing sea bases, I watched just about every YouTube video there was on the subject.  I'm currently doing a build log on my 1/700 Tamiya KGV, and I'm doing a sea base for that one as well.  So far it's coming along nicely.  I normally do aircraft of every era, but I'm really starting to enjoy ships.  Finding room to display them, on the other hand... 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Excellent bit of work there Erik.  I've got a 1:350 USS Momsen in my stash.  Have a few Aircraft Kits in mind before I tackle the Momsen.  I'll be back for inspiration though when I do start it.

Colin

Thanks gents!  This is still one of my favourite ones.  And definitely most of the credit for the water effect goes to Studio Blue Ocean.  That guy is amazing.