Moon Knight on Disney Plus - someone please explain it to me..?

Four episodes in and I still haven't got a blooming clue what's happening. I have a feeling it will rely on "lucky coincidences" (AKA: very poor scriptwriting) a lot in coming episodes. I hope I'm wrong. 

What say ye?

Chris. 

The son I watched "The Adam Project " with has been watching this too, says he has been enjoying it but his explanations had me struggling, though he seemed to have no problem following it. I'll quiz him further. :)

Steve.

Hi Chris, sorry I haven'y come back as I said I would, long story short, my sons explanation gave me more questions than answers to my mind & I haven't got around to another debrief, ships that pass in the night very often around here & I'm away for the weekend.

Steve.

50 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Episode 5.... now actually more confused and wondering if I should keep going with this one. Can't say I'm enjoying it, much. 

Chris.   

Time to watch something else.

I knew nothing of the comic books until the show was announced, and I then did some very basic Googling to see what it was about (I just read that he serves an Egyptian god, and that he is like Deadpool and Venom in the fact that he does good guy things, but in a bad guy way).

My personal take on the story so far after watching ep5.  Mark Spectre has a severe mental illness.  A very traumatic experience in Mark's childhood caused him to create the alternate personality of Steven Grant to get away from real life.  After walking a dark path for many years he was saved from death by the Egyptian god Khonshu, who it would appear manipulated and took advantage of Mark's fragile sanity to trick him into serving the god by eliminating "evil" from the world.  The death of Marks mother finally broke him and he permanently gave control of his mind to alter ego Steven for a couple of months.  In episode 5 Mark was forced to reconcile that childhood trauma and move on with his life, effectively ending the need for Steven which resulted in the symbolic 'death' of him.

I've enjoyed Moonknight very much personally, but even after ep5 my wife still has no idea what is going on.  I love shows and movies that don't explain everything until the very end, so you can try and figure out whats going on and have your own wild theories that change every week.  Like for the first 4 episodes I thought Mark and Steven were two separate people trapped in one mind by Khonshu.

Both Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke are nailing their roles.  Particularly Isaac in ep5, but Hawke is one of the best 'good guy villains' I have seen for a while.  I give Moonknight a solid 9/10 so far, and cant wait for next weeks ep :)

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer, HoolioPaulio.

Whilst I acknowledge that the story makes some sense within its own universe, I think the "drip-feeding" of information and background details is starting to make me drift away from the story a little. I'm not saying that everything should be completely linear and conventional in its narrative, but this has a very "fragmented" feeling to me. 

And the hippo-faced god sounds very familiar.... I really must IMDB it and work out who she is. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

• 4 weeks later...

Now the series is finished, I can't say I miss it very much. A bit of a "meh..." reaction from me, unfortunately. I'm glad other folks liked it, though. It would be a boring world if we all like the same things.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 1

I watched it, found it interesting at times, amusing at other times, and confusing at others.  I didn't mind it overall, but wasn't all that bothered when I ran out of episodes to watch.  It was nice seeing Poe Dameron again, and although he got a lot of stick for it in the media, I thought he did a pretty decent job of his English accent.  A lot better than Kevin Costner in Prince of Thieves, and he didn't lapse into 'Murcan once.

• Like 1

I read that Issac's based his British accent on Karl Pilkington's. He didn't do a great job, if that story is indeed true! I thought he sounded like a parody of a generic Londoner....

Cheers.

Chris.   

I read several times that he based the accent on comedian Russel Kane, and apparently name checked him in an interview.  Seems plausible if you are familiar with Russel, but I don't know how true it is...

I've seen Russ Kane's live-act a couple of times. That makes a lot more sense than the Karl Pilkington story - Karl's from somewhere around Manchester (I'm guessing) and Russ's from Essex.

Seems a much more creditable story.

Cheers.

Chris.