Clear the Stash #14 Wellington III

spacer.pngThis is the 1975 reboxing of the original Airfix Wellington kit issued in 1959, 61 years ago. It must have been one of the first kits Airfix made. It’s OOB save for new decals, home made seat belts and Uschi wire.

As expected for a kit of that era internal detail was basic to the point of non existence. Fit was so so save for the wing to fuselage which is a push fit, no glue used. An attempt to replicate the surface rib detail was limited to a diamond pattern of raised lines. Ailerons and rudder ‘work’ but leave huge gaps. Guns are just overscale plastic rod. They are held in place by plastic figures- which was annoying as I don’t do pilot figures. The very thick transparencies didn’t fit and the frame lines were quite pronounced (which, tbf, helped a lot with hand painting them).

Paint was Humbrol 29, 116 and a bespoke mixture of Hu.33 black and Hu.14 blue for ‘Night’. Camouflage pattern was as per the original Instructions but not one I recognise (!)

Problems

The turrets for the reasons given

The exhausts. I put them on the inside of the nacelles as per instructions and I think they should be on the outside. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The undercarriage is very fragile primarily because I cut off a locating lug on the main strut thinking it to be ‘flash’. Accordingly, the assembly is glued to the wing where it touches rather than where it should be.

Despite all the above I quite enjoyed making it despite, or because of, its simplicity

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Properjob56
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Well done. I remember this kit of many moons ago. If'n I remember correctly I used about 3/4 tube of filler on it and it still didn't line up correctly.

So, congrats on turning out a very nice replica.

Regards

Pete

• Like 1