Italeri 1/72 Dornier 217J

After much umming and ahhing I'm going to do this chap.

IMG_3581

Not sure about the colour scheme right now but leaning towards this from the AIMs after market sheet as I like the high demarcation line

48D022preview_3

I'll also probably replace the kit aerials with aftermarket.

The kit would benefit from a bit more cockpit detail so I may scratch something "in the style of a Do 217".......

Pete

Edited by Potato Pete
  • Like 9

OK we're away...

Couple of sprue shots to start

IMG_3592

IMG_3591

Basically not too bad at all. Mainly fine raised panel lines and only a bit of flash

I was going to start off adding some spurious detail to the cockpit but having recently moved house, I've lost all my plasticard bits and pieces so that's on hold for the moment. The cockpit is pretty basic so I think it will benefit from even a wee bit of detailing and tape seat belts. The kit also comes with a joystick type control column rather than a yoke(?) type so I'll alter that.

So instead, on to the bigger bits

IMG_3593

Wings and tail assembled and the pilot's seat fitted to the cockpit floor. The tail is just clipped into the fuselage halves at the moment. Fit of the major components is good with only minimal clean up required. The control surfaces are just butt joined, a little bit more positive fitting would have been nice. Equally the fit of the roof of the undercarriage bay to the engine could be a bit better, there are locating logs but they're pretty soft. But nothing too traumatic.

Italeri would have you drill a couple of holes in the undersurface of the port wing but I can't see what's meant to go there for the life of me, so I didn't. Might regret that later.

Anyway, a pleasant start

Pete

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Potato Pete said:

Italeri would have you drill a couple of holes in the undersurface of the port wing but I can't see what's meant to go there for the life of me, so I didn't. Might regret that later.

Anyway, a pleasant start

Pete

Radar aerial perhaps but I can't see anything in my references so maybe its a left over from the bomber version where a drop tank could go?

Pete

Edited by PeterB

And the spurious cockpit detail now added based very vaguely on a pic I found

IMG_3596

Not exactly the finest work ever, but with a coat of paint and the fuselage closed up I think it will pass muster just about

IMG_3597

I've also put bulkhead in the nose and will add one behind the rear gunner's position 

AndI was right about the butt jointed control surfaces -knocked off one of the rudders already. 😬 . Safely recovered and reattached for the moment

Pete

• Like 7