Dornier Do 17 E/F, Airfix 1/72

jean

Hi everyone,

this entry in the Do 17 GB confirms that I am not playing with a full deck.

Considering all the builds I have in progress, I should crawl back into my burrow and keep on modelling.

But... So here is the Do 17 E/F from Airfix in 1/72. I bought this kit when it came out, in the early seventies, When I opened the box, the other day, my jaw dropped.

On the wings the panel lines are very delicately engraved: definitely not the run of the mill, rivet-crazy Airfix kit of the days. The air vents have razor sharp lips, etc.

Only a few minute rivets on the fuselage, easy to erase.

This kit is a revelation!

Bar for a few additions in the cockpit, it will be built OOB.

Unfortunately the decals seem good for the bin. I will see if anything can be salvaged!

Here are a few photos:

Do 17 E Photo 1

Do 17 E Photo 3 bis

Do 17 E Photo 2

A very surprising kit indeed

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 12

Really glad you're going to build one of these Jean.

Its a kit that I never got around to building and yet it is probably my favourite Do 17 version, and I really like the splinter camo on it too.

Very interested to see how you get on with this as it really looks like AIrfix flipped out and made a tooling way ahead of anything they would release for years.

4 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I believe most of us "don't have all the Moomins in the Valley"

Absolutely hilarious VP! And true too.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

I don't think there are many of us who can criticise you for having too many projects on the go at once JR. A quick look at my signature shows I certainly can't :whistle:

James

• Haha 3

Hi Jean,

Snap! Those decs may still be viable but will probably benefit from "bleaching" in a sunny window, which should take you far less time over there that it would me over here, if you can stop the local wildlife from interfering. The only thing to note is that Airfix provided both "early" and "late" windscreens and say that the early one is for the E and the later one with the mg is for the F. I am not so sure about that as I will be explaining in my refurbishment build - sources disagree but I have seen a good few pics captioned as E versions with the gun so maybe it was retro-fitted! At least you will not have to scratch build a ruddy undercarriage like me. I think that this time I will go with the inter war 4 colour camo scheme unlike when I originally built it.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Jean,

Snap! Those decs may still be viable but will probably benefit from "bleaching" in a sunny window, which should take you far less time over there that it would me over here.

Pete

You are absolutely right Pete, JR is a positive show off when it comes to sunshine, and that's just the same in his positive outlook on life :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

Looking forward to seeing this one get underway, I'm going through and finding all the early Do17 builds on this GB to follow. I built the Airfix kit a while ago, it's pretty good if you have a bit of patience with it. I had to use aftermarket decals on mine as the kit ones were simply unusable

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 8:47 PM, JOCKNEY said:

You are absolutely right Pete, JR is a positive show off when it comes to sunshine, and that's just the same in his positive outlook on life :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

for your information, today is the first time we have seen the sun since well before Easter!

I have taken note of all your good advice about bleaching the decals in the African sun... Our weather has been bearing a remarkable similarity to the Scottish weather I remember. A lot of sun, but in its liquid form... Rats!

So the bleaching will have to wait a bit.

Thanks to all of you for caring!!!!

JR

• Like 4

Hi all,

although I should not have, I have committed some glue to the Do 17. Lack of self disciple is a terrible affliction!

The build is moving quite fast, which is rewarding. The fit is typical early 70s Airfix.... Definitely not Hasegawa!

There is a fair amount of trimming to be done around the engines in order to get everything streamlined, as can be seen on the photo below.

Do 17 E Photo 4

Do 17 E Photo 5

And above is a photo of the wings along with the completed tail structure.

Next, the fuselage.

Have fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 9