B-25D2 Waist and tail gun conversion.

Jay Gee

Hello everyone.

I've been eyeing off the Airfix B-25 for a while now and I would like to build a RAAF D model as these were more numerous and therefore more schemes are available. However most of these were the B-25D2 model with the waist and tail gun postions added which are a different shape and location to the J model.

Does anybody know if there is a 1/72 scale conversion set for these gun positions? Or is it possible to kit bash? Has anyone done this before and if so which kits? (although I don't fancy my skills in plastic butchery) 

Thanks.

Jay Gee,

There was a BM’er who was doing the very same build, using the Airfix  kit a while back, and a couple of us posted photos and details of both installations. He had to graft on the waist gun  blisters from an Italeri kit I sent him, but that wasn’t all that diifficult; modifying the B-25J tail gun position was the hardest part of the buiild.  You could do a search for the topic, as it had a lot of detail period photos and text. You will also have to alter the shape of the top of the waist  gun blisters, as they were not the same as the ones on the H and  J, but the info in the discussion will show this. I have no success using the BM search engine, but I bet one  of our regulars will be able to pull it up- good luck  on your project!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mike, I knew I had seen a build like this somewhere. I've found plenty of discussion and photos about the D2 gun positions and more importantly the shape of them, but not much luck on finding an easy conversion or better still a conversion set. The waist guns look fairly straight forward to graft in but the tail gun doesn't look like a straight swap as it had a single gun and a completely different shape to the J. 

Hopefully a late 2022 Airfix release?🤞

• 2 weeks later...

I'd find or make markings for a plane without the D2 features. I'm sure there were some regular Ds there. Way to much work for a non specific subject. If you had a specific plane in mind because it had some significance to you then I'd say scratch build away. To me the juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

• Thanks 1