Monogram Do 17Z to Yugoslavian Do 17Ka conversion

Marklo

47-C34-BDA-5043-4-B64-85-F8-B029-A09-A44
Although I love  building German aircraft I try not to do Swastikas so in looking for a suitable scheme I came up with various Do17Ka’s or A Hungarian Do 215. Both require a conversion.  So I’ve decided to go for the  Ka-1, which only needs the main canopy and nose changed.

97-BC7-FD7-EDAF-44-FE-93-AF-89-FDA89860-

First off a comparison to scale plans. Actually pretty good, the leading edges of the horizontal tail needs reshaping but other than the new nose a good match.

Next up a little surgery :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Really just wondering why you decided to convert instead of just going with RS Models' Do17K from the box. Should make for an entertaining thread though

Two reasons, first off it was the only Dornier kit I could lay hands on locally and bought it comparatively cheap. With a windfall of resin wheels and an Eduard photoetch in the box all for €20. So technically it was in the stash. 

Secondly because I like having a bit of a modelling challenge to my builds so I try to do a bit more than oob building most of the time. I tend to do things like this all the time.  This is what I refer to as the Mrs Doyle answer 

Aside from the cost,  I’d be very bored with the hobby very quickly if all I did was paint and assemble the best kits in the business with the best aftermarket bits.

I’ll put my soapbox away now :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

411-F6-D56-6-CE4-4-C82-8394-397-ED7-BB96Much to my horror I realised the kit has ( had) raised panel lines so they just had to go. Now filed sanded and completely smooth with a coat of neutral grey to check the joints snd give me sometimes to scribe into. The new nose is dry fitted but not fully trimmed. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

121-F1-DC9-68-BB-4-CCD-BB95-5-D568-A5868Masked and primed. I’ll probably hit it with more primer on Monday before preshading.

NB: the primer looks a bit scabrous as it’s still wet and with the humidity yesterday took a while to dry. It looks pretty ok now :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

917-F2556-B3-C1-4-F79-A6-A9-394402827991

rinse and repeat 

CE4-A1754-E96-F-4-A26-9165-DD457-D8-ACC3
And the big reveal. Definitely looks different. Unfortunately the canopy has gone cloudy but fortunately I reckon I can get a q tip in there through the back of the cockpit. Next step a bit of touching up needed on the RLM 65 and time to cook up some decals and a fairing for the back of the cockpit. Still well on track for a weekend dustoff.

• Like 2