Do 215B-5 Nachtjager - Now with New Tool Kit! *Finished!*

Andwil

Landing light and the little round window in the nose attached, props, guns and the night sight (or whatever it is) fixed on and stage one of the radar aerials.

52204334115_98b93fb2a4_b.jpg

52204097639_041a5d3d38_b.jpg

Just getting those aerials off the sprue was nerve wracking but luckily no breaks.  Glued on with epoxy and strengthened with CA.  This will be left over night and the second stage of the aerials tackled tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 2

The second stage of the FuG. 202 array stuck on.  16 tiny T shapes, because of the minimal contact area I used a glue available here called Tarzan’s Grip, sets slowly but is grippy from the get go so things generally stay in place while its setting and is rock hard after 12 hours.  Unlike CA, shouldn’t get knocked off by the slightest lateral movement.

52205952561_4026dd59ba_b.jpg

52205952556_a1f630730c_b.jpg

52206217534_246f28f6c9_b.jpg

Quite chunky looking aren’t they.  A couple look at bit wonky in close up but less so to the eye.

The radio mast has also been added and the pitot put back on, thats it.  Apart from some paint touching up there’s nothing more to do.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 10:03 AM, Andwil said:

Landing light and the little round window in the nose attached, props, guns and the night sight (or whatever it is) fixed on and stage one of the radar aerials.

Spanner Anlage system I think (rough translation "peeping tom" I gather). I always though they used an IR heat detector, but in fact it is a combination of a searchlight filtered to produce IR light and a sensor in the windscreen. On the Bf 110 the light was mounted in a pod under the nose but there was enough room in this machine for it to go in the nose itself. How much use it was I have no idea! You did well with those aerials.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

• Andwil changed the title to Do 215B-5 Nachtjager - Now with New Tool Kit! *Finished!*

Last bits of paint touch ups done and a radio aerial wire added and its finally finished.  Thanks to everybody who stuck with me through this build and especially for the encouragement and kind comments.  And thanks to VP for hosting what has been a most enjoyable group build.

52209924202_78da42333e_b.jpg

More pics in the gallery.

If you thought that a medium bomber was too big for a fighter, just for fun:

52211414640_ce7c176c80_b.jpg

Its really not that big!

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 5

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Well done, building that antenna scares me... 

All you need are patience, concentration, an optivisor, a steady hand and a glue that doesn’t set too fast so you can get them lined up or too slow that you have to hold the parts in place while it sets.  Fun!  And to think I’m going to have to do it all again in the Ju 88 group build :banghead:

AW

I think I could go and buy the optivisor and the glue but patience, concentration and steady hand are not available here anymore :giggle:

:hmmm:I could still re-designate my build as a B-4 recce variant and forget about the antenna :whistle: 

Good man, can't wait to see you build the Ju 88! V-P

• Like 1