Hawker Hurricanes around the World: ML-KNIL Mk IIb

The fifteenth instalment of Hawker Hurricanes around the world is an ML-KNIL Mk IIb. These were briefly operational in Indonesia before the Japanese overran the Dutch colony. I used an Arma kit OOB for this one, opting for Sky Blue underside (Tamiya XF-23) and Dark Green (Tamiya XF-81)/Dark Earth upper. The DE was a bit of a gong show (I tried a couple after my Tamiya XF-52 got too gloopy), and in the end it's Mission Models. I like the colour, but I'm finding it strange to work with. Anyway, that was about the only challenge I had with this one--the Arma kits are by now famously wonderful, especially the Mk IIb/c version. Decals are from my Kits World sheet (which, by the way, somewhat inspired this project in the first place). I think the only other thing to say is that the next (and I believe last of this project) Mk IIb I build will be one of these ML-KNIL Hawker Hurricanes in captured Japanese markings for the "Turning Japanese" GB, so see you over there! Otherwise, thanks for looking!

y4mChSCSUBxf57IngNkWBXka73DXkUt4tvliR47V

y4mbMvWT2u3PvCb1kOgj89JsO4kNrWXvHxA7QU7h

y4m_qS_jUKKI99BwGj1DOiSfkp9ECGudypK-eFCH

y4mJOgILmlkogY1vUYym1Ba_1kQNj9ZztEh5vFa8

y4m0CUk25eOMm-sKEJVrbqIX-4R8KRg-qwf1TJVC

y4mp-_E4Gm2VHIUSLhQv_3_D3oSy5a_EBnl0iCbZ

Turkey got her RFI photos done at the same time, so here they are together:

y4mXMbLyRRzQ7VNjvVfl0QHt3kYblbgZATGe-4Ml

Turkey's RFI is here, if interested:

• Like 23

A really nice job on that, though I'm not so sure that the upper wing markings are correct, it seems the ML-KNIL didn't generally use these, either in the triangle or later flag style markings, certainly Jonkerweb didn't think so. You may run into a security issue on this site, I ignored it. This thread discusses it.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 1:18 AM, stevehnz said:

A really nice job on that, though I'm not so sure that the upper wing markings are correct, it seems the ML-KNIL didn't generally use these, either in the triangle or later flag style markings, certainly Jonkerweb didn't think so. You may run into a security issue on this site, I ignored it. This thread discusses it.

Steve.

You're right, @stevehnz! I looked again and not sure how I missed that in my research because I read that Jonkerweb post multiple times! Too bad, although honestly I'll take as many orange triangles as I can get...

• Like 1