MiG-21SMT Hunchback

BritJet

Probably the least known MiG-21 variant due to only a small number entering service. This is a Russian kit I picked up a long time ago. The decals are closer to 1/48 and very crude so they'll be replaced.

qCpK3Cat_o.jpg

Chunky sprues but the parts look ok.

AdkzUKxY_o.jpg

The instructions seem to cover the assembly quite well, although it's fairly difficult to go wrong with putting a MiG-21 together.

qPXU6iZn_o.jpg

I've got this old PP Aeroparts etched brass set, white metal seat and film instrument panels which should help to enhance the very basic cockpit.

MDBVHLbH_o.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

• Like 4

Thanks, I've never seen another one of these kits.

Very quickly got the fuselage together after adding some nose weight.

dod2pnyZ_o.jpg

Wings and tailplanes added and some filler in the joints

SQTLSDUR_o.jpg

The fit isn't too bad so hopefully once it's rubbed down I can give it a squirt of primer.

bbnBIh5j_o.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Photos re-linked
  • Like 4

Cheers.

On 25/04/2022 at 06:21, Wings unlevel said:

Looks good, no real problems with Sean lines? Is the plastic hard as brittle?

No problems with building it, the plastic was ok.

I sanded the filler down and sprayed some primer on but unfortunately dropped the model afterwards and the canopy has cracked into three. As I can't find a suitable replacement either for sale or in my spares box, I'll glue it back together, fill & sand the joins, make a mould from it and vac-form a new one over the weekend. Annoying but not a huge problem.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Thanks.

I made the vacform mould and got a usable canopy on the second attempt. Soon trimmed, fitted and a bit of filler to blend it in at the rear.

6EOvlbfV_o.jpg
UkZ35kAz_o.jpg

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Photos re-linked
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, it's a nice easy shape to vacform and I soon got it blended in.

After a blast of primer I've airbrushed the camo and the glossed all over ready for some red star decals from the spares box with home printed numbers on the nose. I still need to paint the radome and fin tip panel as well as the natural metal rear fuselage. It's also on the undercarriage now although I haven't attached the main wheels yet. The brown looks very red in these photos for some reason.

2D4ecmkV_o.jpg7TlxmeeX_o.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Photos re-linked
  • Like 4

Thanks both.

It's finished

z2ucI5ds_o.jpg

More photos in the gallery.

Steve

Edited by BritJet
Photos re-linked
  • Like 6

Thanks.

On 13/05/2022 at 22:50, RaceAddict said:

Not sure why, but I'm getting broken image links on all you've posted...

It's due to a problem with Village.Photos, I'm looking at an alternative photo hosting site at the moment as they don't seem to be fixing it anytime soon.

On 14/05/2022 at 01:15, Wings unlevel said:

Looks like an Aladdin’s cave of MiGs in the background there! Looks terrific, that camo is really nicely executed.

I've still got an F-13 and the Ananlog to build and was hoping to get them done in this GB but the time got eaten up by work......

On 14/05/2022 at 10:11, modelling minion said:

Great result Steve, she looks fantastic.

The camo really does look very good indeed, super work.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for having produced some great models.

🇺🇦

I've wanted to do another camo'd MiG-21 for a while and am happy with how it's turned out. Thanks for hosting the GB and all the encouragement!

Steve

• Like 2

If you can see the photos above then it's working properly. The link is just to the Imgbox home page and not to my photos.

Steve