P-47 question

Zigomar

I have a Tamiy P-47M box and I would like to build a bubble top P-47D. I know the engines are different, but externally does it work? TIA.

The M had a dorsal fin on the rear fuselage. Dont know if the M has the standard fuselage parts included as I dont have one, but looking ta the D'd sprues I would suspect not

Yep, it works. In fact, the -M boxing has all the parts needed for a late -D (up to and including dash 30's and 40's) as well as an -M, including compressability/dive flaps, relocated landing light, both crankcase versions (for -57 or -59 versions of the R-2800), later cockpit layout (avec smooth floor or corrugated), several options for fin fillets and 3 or 4 types of props. The -D boxing only allows for earlier bubbletops, up to -28's. 

Hope that helps, it's a super fun kit to build and pretty accurate to boot.

Cheers,

Thomaz

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, Zigomar said:

I have a Tamiy P-47M box and I would like to build a bubble top P-47D. I know the engines are different, but externally does it work? TIA.

I think you can build a P-47D-30 from the Tamiya kit, but you will have to find a non C-series R-2800-59W engine. The -30 had the compressibility recovery flaps as well as the relocated landing light like the M, so you should be good to go, there. IIRC, the -30 used the Curtiss Electric paddle blade prop with the assymetric blades, which I think comes as one of the kit choices. (Not my scale, so I’m not totally familiar with what comes in the box.) You might ask @Tbolt for confirmation/clarification, as he is our resident Jug expert!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

The P-47M boxing is actually the best one to have as you can build from a D-25 to a P-47M from it. The problem with the bubbletop boxing is it only has the corrugated cockpit floor and the smooth one came in on the D-25, though I'm not sure if it was at the start of the D-25 production or part way through. 

For the engine you will need part B12 and the two turtleback mags G15. The front case, part B12 will need the magneto block removing though and a blanking plate fitted, see the below image.

The bubbletop P-47's used five different part number instrument panels depending on the version but for modelling purposes use part H3 for a D-25 to a D-28 and part L7 for a D-30 to D-40.

For the gunsight, use part J1 for a D-25 to D-35 and part J2 for a D-40.

Like 72modeler mentioned use the compressibility flaps from a D-30.

As for building I attach the upper fuselage sections to the fuselage halves first to get a perfect joint on the panel lines and I like to remove the large raised fasteners from the oil cooler outlet doors as these are countersunk fasteners on the real thing. I've always shortened the gun blast tubes very slightly as well as they appear to stick out slightly more than the real thing, though the other day I found a photo which showed them like the Tamiya kit so there may have been a couple of different lengths.

Also the seem line on the cowl forward of the cockpit, the only part that needs filling is the very small part in front of the windscreen up to the access panel, the rest forward should be a panel line.

27-4.jpg

• Like 1

2 YP-47M in August, 1 in September, then 3, 46, 81 P-47M October to December 1944.   Built at Farmingdale, the YP-47M were taken from serials at the end of the P-47D-27 block, the P-47M were built in parallel with the P-47D-30, the final Farmingdale D production block, which began production in the first half of September 1944. (Evansville final production was the D-40, which had the dorsal fin as built, production from April 1945, both production lines had D-20, and -21, then Evansville went -23, -26, -28, -30, -40)

USAAF basic model specifications,  Farmingdale P-47D

The D-21 introduced the R2800-59 engine and installation of momentary water injection switch MC-142.
The D-22 introduced the 6507 Hamilton Standard propeller and A-23 Turbo Regulator.
The D-25 introduced the bubble canopy, flat front windshield, enlarged main fuel tank, 30 gallon water tank, larger oxygen supply.
The D-27 introduced the JH-4E starter
The D-28 introduced improved Curtiss propeller, modification of SCR-695-A radio wiring, provision for MN-26 type radio compass, relocation of bomb and tank release controls (to parking brake bracket as per D-28-RE?).

The D-30 changes were blunt nose aileron and controls; dive flaps; Huber camera mount No. 159 to replace Republic camera mount; elimination of provisions for Type A-1 Gun Camera overrun control; front mounted instrument; removal of micronic filter from hydraulic reservoir and installation of return line and addition of pressure line filter; gland fittings for external wing fuel tank lines and elimination of glass elbows in air pressure lines.

XP-47M, P-47D-25 modified as follows; R2800-14 or -57 engine with CH-5 turbo, unilever power control, automatic intercooler and oil cooler doors.  Differs from P-47M by not having dive flaps or blunt nose ailerons.

P-47M, Production article of YP-47M with R-2800-57 engine.  Unilever control not installed.

Roger Freeman states the P-47M had dorsal fins fitted in England but few P-47D received them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Pretty sure all that babble above is referring to the 1/48 kit Giorgio, not that it has been stated at any point afaics, I don't think Tamiya do an -M in 1/72. 

Steve.

Ah, sorry, my mistake, being a 1/72 fanboy made me assume that everybody else builds in this scale...

here's the link to the 1/48 bubbletop from the same site... that I always find very useful to try and understand what parts are in each box, helped a few times before buying a kit

https://www.super-hobby.it/products/Republic-P-47D-Thunderbolt-Bubbletop.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It is a shame that Tamiya doesn't do a 1/72 -M in the same way as they do the 1/48 one, a single extra sprue. I'd be up for one for sure.

Steve.

It would have been nice but at least they tooled it the same way as their 1/48th scale kit and Quickboost came to the rescue with the dorsal fillet and compressibility flaps to make things a little easier.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2022 at 4:52 AM, Giorgio N said:

Ah, sorry, my mistake, being a 1/72 fanboy made me assume that everybody else builds in this scale...

h

That's okay Giorgio, God knows who builds in The One True Scale!

Ed

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...