Spitfire Beam Approach Aerial

fishplanebeer

The beam approach aerial is often seen on later marques as a small bulge on the under side of the fuselage but in the Valiant Wings book covering the Griffon engined versions it's referred to as 'the boat antenna of the ARI' so just wondered what ARI actually stands for?

Also roughly when and on what marques did the aerial begin to appear?

Regards

Colin.

Edited by fishplanebeer

Hello Colin,

at least the antenna appeared on Mk.XIIs and PR.XIXs. An interesting detail is that the antenna wasn't located on the airplane center line. It was slightly off to Port side on Mk.XIIs. It wasn't on the center line in PR.XIX either.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Colin,

at least the antenna appeared on Mk.XIIs and PR.XIXs. An interesting detail is that the antenna wasn't located on the airplane center line. It was slightly off to Port side on Mk.XIIs. It wasn't on the center line in PR.XIX either.

Cheers,

Antti

Antti is correct- the antennas were part of the Rebecca Beam Approach system, and also appeared on the Mk VIII. Not every aircraft had them fitted- it appeared to be a factor of where the aircraft was used. If you go to The Spitfire Website and look at the mast and antenna section, you can find a description, usage, and photo of the antenna and its fairing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Antti is correct- the antennas were part of the Rebecca Beam Approach system, and also appeared on the Mk VIII. Not every aircraft had them fitted- it appeared to be a factor of where the aircraft was used. If you go to The Spitfire Website and look at the mast and antenna section, you can find a description, usage, and photo of the antenna and its fairing.

He means here. C'mon Mike, whats with no link mate, slipping up there. :P :D 

Steve. 

• Haha 1

Whilst perusing the internet I came across a very niche web site where as chap/chapess has listed all the radio equipment used by the RAF with their relevant codes, including ARI reference numbers, so this may be of interest. It's entitled the GMB's List of Air Ministry Equipment Numbers and is at:

www.air-ministry.uk/airequip.htm

For example it provides specific details on the TR1133 and TR1143 sets used in later Spitfires plus a vast amount of stuff on ARI's in general so is worth a look at and has even highlighted what seems to be a possible error in Shacklady although the author of the list does say it may not be error free. In Shacklady page 395  it refers to the Spitfire X having a TR1143 Transceiver and an A2171 Amplifier however this source confirms that it was the A1217 Beam Approach Amplifier that used with the TR1143 and the TR1133.

Regards

Colin.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

He means here. C'mon Mike, whats with no link mate, slipping up there. :P :D 

Steve. 

I am having to use my smartphone to perform any functions on BM, and I’m not familiar with it- either ATT is blocking BM’s server again, or the Russki’s are hacking me. Thanks for having my  six, Steve! IIRC, we had a discussion on this topic , and I posted photos of the antenna and fairing; the OP could do a search for it!

Mike

• Like 1