Holy Grail kits

VMA131Marine

1/24 mad max pursuit and interceptor kits, sulaco, nostromo, dropship and apc, star trek vulcan shuttle, good kit of the twin otter, casa 295... I'm sure there are others, but these first come to mind...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daneel said:

good kit of the twin otter

Ah ha, another vote for that! Are you looking Airfix or Special Hobby? The demand is there! (Well, two of us anyway but it is a growing call)

Ray

On 28/04/2022 at 01:16, One 48 said:

Good topic, very good topic indeed that has bought forward some interesting answers.

A more modern kit, but for all intents and purposes is out of production, as rare as hens teeth to find new in UK or second-hand is Tamiya's 1/32 F-16 Thunderbird, these are much sought after ... mostly a 1/48 builder here (hence my forum name) but do try to make space for Tamiya's de luxe 1/32 Aircraft series and like to have at least one of each in the stash, hey my Tamiya 1/32 F-15 Strike Eagle is almost 80% finished, really need to get this one finished soon, its looking good if I say so myself, another 2 weeks work would do it.

The other most desirable one on my want list is just another Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, actually owned one already when they were released and paid top dollar/pound £125 ish, maybe less? cant remember :) But, they sell for much more now, sometimes well over £200, also seem to be harder to find now too, sold one on here last year in buy and sell for £140 I think ... thought I'd made a profit in my stash thinning exercise, bit wow, wish I'd held on to it now?

We all make bad decisions in life and selling my Mosquito was one of mine :(  I honestly think this kit in particular is going to be harder to find in future, it probably was not as successful as Tamiya hoped it would be sales wise, hence no glass nose version too ... just my theory, honestly I dont know?

I think I'll go bite the bullet and see if I can find a new one to buy right now ... wish me luck :)

I meant to add, right after posting this I did get one (Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito) on Ebay for £156 delivered from Japan, realise I'll probably get stung by customs, nothing seems to slip through that net any-more the way it used to, ah well, lesson learned, be careful what you sell or trade :)  Think I'll try for a Tamiya 1/32 F-16 Thunderbirds from Japan now, seen them available there recently, its really odd they are not for sale in UK any-more ??

Thanks to those who wished me luck in getting my Mosquito again 👍

• Like 1

On 21/04/2022 at 10:06, -Ian- said:

I'd snap up a re-release of the Halcyon Aliens APC and Dropship.

I have the 1/1 scale Halycon vinyl Alien Facehugger kit, always meant to get the other Alien kits in this series from Halycon.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, One 48 said:

I have the 1/1 scale Halycon vinyl Alien Facehugger kit, always meant to get the other Alien kits in this series from Halycon.

I did actually buy and build the APC as a teenager around 1990ish, I've a feeling it may have been the last kit I built before I lost interest in the hobby for 25 or so years. IIRC it was a particularly easy kit to build but which gave to my eyes a reasonably accurate representation of the version in the film.

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 5:10 PM, IanHx said:

The 2012 Hobbycraft kit not close enough ?

Oh... that is interesting. I remember looking up info about an Arrow kit a few years ago and the forum discussions (perhaps not here specifically) were fairly negative about all offerings available at that time. It may have been an out-dated discussion though. 

On 5/2/2022 at 3:42 PM, RaceAddict said:

Oh... that is interesting. I remember looking up info about an Arrow kit a few years ago and the forum discussions (perhaps not here specifically) were fairly negative about all offerings available at that time. It may have been an out-dated discussion though. 

I’m curious about what happened to the re-tooled Hobbycraft CF-105s in both 1/48 and 1/72. They have never been rereleased by another company since Hobbycraft Canada went belly up. Someone must have the moulds.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only think of the cars Airfix did. But a very long time ago, I used for have a Revell Morris Minor Traveller ( or woody in American terms) but had some vital parts missing. think it was 1/32 scale.

As for the Airfix James Bond cars, I used to have both, the Aston and the Toyota. Sold them for a good sum.

• 4 weeks later...

For me it's Monogram Kit PA29 from 1958. It was four F11F-1 Tigers with decals for the Blue Angels. The models were mounted to a clear plastic piece shaped akin to a "T", itself mounted to the clear plastic stand. At the time I first got one the kit sold for 98 cents here in the US. That same kit, if you can find it, went for some $500 US some years ago and who knows what it sells for now. 

The Aurora 2001 Moonbus was always my holy grail kit but, thankfully, MPC got that covered. Wouldn’t mind one in 1/24th though.

Now if Airfix want to do a 1/24th TSR2 with full in service weapons load and cockpit I’d be up for half a dozen……

Graham

A TSR2 in 1/24th scale?      That would be an esoteric wish Graham! 

Could you imagine the size of the thing?   Even in 1/32nd scale it would be enormous!

I think you need a bottle with a Genie inside to get that wish. LOL.

It would be nice if someone like Airfix or Revell tooled up the James Bond Aston Martin DB5 in 1/16th scale.

Nice large size, but no too large and would be a bit more affordable than those big 1/8th scale die cast kits.

De Agistini did a Die Cast part series in 1/8th scale that I think sold well. Saw one made up at a show and it looked lovely.