Holy Grail kits

VMA131Marine

45 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

The Matchbox kit (re-released not long ago by Revell) is a nice little unit, especially when augmented by the Aerocraft upgrade kit, which overcomes most of the Matchbox kit's shortcomings - the over-thick windscreen pillars and resulting undersized windscreen, and the extremely delicate undercarriage. Mind you, I wouldn't say no to a new one done to modern standards!

My current Twin Otter build is using the cockpit replacement and props, my previous one used Aerocraft's tailplanes and spinners. One day (assuming Special Hobby or Airfix don't produce a new tooling), I will try and do all the upgrades in one model, doors open and all!

Ray

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davecov said:

Not that I am trying to be smug (okay, I admit it, I am) but I have built a few kits that have been mentioned already and some people may have never seen a built version:

Airfix 1/72 Sam-2 Guideline (03303-5):
Sam_2_Guideline_052.JPG

I think the Airfix SAM-2 kit has acquired a mystique entirely down to its rarity rather than its merit.  It's not really that good a kit: quite crude (but then Airfix probably didn't have a lot of info to work from) and the wheels really need replacing with something more beefily ZIL-like (eg those from the Scammel tank transporter).  Note that the markings provided (just 2 serial numbers on the bonnet) are for a captured Israeli example.  I think the kit came out around the time of the 1973 Arab-Israeli war.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IanHx said:

Would be very happy if Revell ever reissued their  1:72 CH-54A Skycrane.....

You don’t fancy the upcoming ICM kit in 1/35th scale then 😁

I’m honestly not sure if Revell still has those molds or if they were sold to Atlantis Models. Probably a greater chance of a rerelease if Atlantis has them.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

You don’t fancy the upcoming ICM kit in 1/35th scale then 😁

Even 1:72  was a bit iffy size-wise ,  would need to clear out the garage to store a 1:35 skycrane  :)

• Haha 2

Having already achieved 1:48 scale SABLE, for me the holy grail items would be aftermarket parts. Paragon’s Jaguar stuff, DMold or anyone else’s seamless intakes for Hasegawa’s various Phantoms and decal sheets like AirDocs USAFE Phantoms, and Speedhunter Graphics Phlashy Phantoms & USAFE Vipers sheets.

All rare as rocking horse sh… and if they do ever appear, the demand and as a result the cost (at auction) is phenomenal.

• Like 1

Hi

Must mean that i am getting old, I recognise quite a few kits 

amongst others i have a 1:96 valiant unbuilt and one partially built, also a free enterprise kit

one regret is i never got an airfix 1:600 S.S. Canberra kit 

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Must mean that i am getting old, I recognise quite a few kits 

amongst others i have a 1:96 valiant unbuilt and one partially built, also a free enterprise kit

one regret is i never got an airfix 1:600 S.S. Canberra kit 

cheers

jerry 

The SS Canberra is due for a rerelease. It was last issued in 1999.

On 4/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, VMA131Marine said:

Interesting! I wonder what happened to the moulds? I know Glencoe has a bunch of the old ITC moulds but they have never re-released this kit.

I contacted Glencoe this weekend to ask about the S-62/HH-52A and they have very kindly got back to explain that that particular tool was sold to person(s) unknown before they started in business.     To date all efforts including contact with Sikorsky to track them down have come to nothing but they are still interested should they ever turn up. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 12:04 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The SS Canberra is due for a rerelease. It was last issued in 1999.

Hi

I  'e-mailled'   airfix sales a few years ago

they stated the only canberra kit that they have is an aircraft 

maybe the mold no longer exists 

cheers

jerry 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

I  'e-mailled'   airfix sales a few years ago

they stated the only canberra kit that they have is an aircraft 

maybe the mold no longer exists 

cheers

jerry 

I’m sure the Airfix sales department only meant that in terms of what was currently or recently in the catalogue. They never comment on potential future releases or rereleases. That said, the SS Canberra was issued in 1999 and it’s not one of the moulds that is known to be missing or worn out.

• Like 1

I have a bit of an eclectic list of wants, but unavailable:

For ships all in 1/700, and 1/720 just doesn't cut it:

• A Tennessee Class Armored Cruiser (ACR 10-13)
  • CVA-59 Forrestal
  • CVSN-65 Enterprise

Aircraft, mostly from the "Golden Age" of flight, all in 1/72 in any medium (vac, resin, plastic)

• Aeronca L-3
  • Berliner-Joyce P-16/PB-1
  • Boeing FB-5/PW-9
  • Boeing F2B-1
  • Boeing XPBB-1
  • Brewster SBA-1/SBN-1
  • Curtiss PW-8
  • Douglas B-19
  • Douglas DT-2
  • Hall PH-1
  • Kaiser-FleetwingsXBTK-1
  • Martin XP5Y-1
  • Martin P3M
  • Martin T2M-1
  • Martin T3M-1
  • Naval Aircraft Factory TS-1
  • Standard E-1
  • Taylorcraft L-2
  • Vought VE-7
  • Vought FU-1

And for armor:

• M44 155mm Howitzer

If any of these have ever been kitted and I just missed it, please let me know

• Like 1

I have lots of 1/72 subjects I yearn for in really nice modern kits:

Post-WW2:

1/72 Sea Vixen

1/72 Scimitar

1/72 Javelin

1/72 Tornado F2/F3

Yak-28

Su-22

PZL-130 Orlik

Bloodhound/Thunderbird

Sea Venom

What I'd really love to see is a really nice 1/72 Martin-Baker MB5, though.

• Like 1

A million years ago, when I was a nipper, someone made a kit of King Kong with glow in the dark parts. That’s one kit that’s stuck with me and I’ve never seen another, or found out who made it, so that’s my Holy Grail. 

1 minute ago, Airgunner said:

A million years ago, when I was a nipper, someone made a kit of King Kong with glow in the dark parts. That’s one kit that’s stuck with me and I’ve never seen another, or found out who made it, so that’s my Holy Grail. 

Atlantis Models now owns that tool, it was originally Aurora and then Monogram, the kit is currently in release.  (#A465)

I have one on the shelf at my shop right now.

• Thanks 1

I go into a charity shop. On the shelf is a mint and complete Airfix 1/12 Boy Scout, and a pristine Ferguson Tractor kit in its little box. 'How much are these?' I ask. '£1.50 each', the nice lady replies. I give her five quid for the two and leave. 

Always the same dream....

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Atlantis Models now owns that tool, it was originally Aurora and then Monogram, the kit is currently in release.  (#A465)

I have one on the shelf at my shop right now.

I’ve seen that one, but the one I had had green glow in the dark hands and head, I vividly remember holding my torch against it to get maximal power into before Mum switched the light off!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Airgunner said:

I’ve seen that one, but the one I had had green glow in the dark hands and head, I vividly remember holding my torch against it to get maximal power into before Mum switched the light off!

Yep, that's the one!

9321-atlantis-kong_orig.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Airgunner said:

Oh my word, when I searched I could only see ones that weren’t glow in the dark. I’ll have to source one in the UK. 

It’s not often that you find your Holy Grail.

• Thanks 1

Good topic, very good topic indeed that has bought forward some interesting answers.

A more modern kit, but for all intents and purposes is out of production, as rare as hens teeth to find new in UK or second-hand is Tamiya's 1/32 F-16 Thunderbird, these are much sought after ... mostly a 1/48 builder here (hence my forum name) but do try to make space for Tamiya's de luxe 1/32 Aircraft series and like to have at least one of each in the stash, hey my Tamiya 1/32 F-15 Strike Eagle is almost 80% finished, really need to get this one finished soon, its looking good if I say so myself, another 2 weeks work would do it.

The other most desirable one on my want list is just another Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, actually owned one already when they were released and paid top dollar/pound £125 ish, maybe less? cant remember :) But, they sell for much more now, sometimes well over £200, also seem to be harder to find now too, sold one on here last year in buy and sell for £140 I think ... thought I'd made a profit in my stash thinning exercise, bit wow, wish I'd held on to it now?

We all make bad decisions in life and selling my Mosquito was one of mine :(  I honestly think this kit in particular is going to be harder to find in future, it probably was not as successful as Tamiya hoped it would be sales wise, hence no glass nose version too ... just my theory, honestly I dont know?

I think I'll go bite the bullet and see if I can find a new one to buy right now ... wish me luck :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, One 48 said:

Good topic, very good topic indeed that has bought forward some interesting answers.

A more modern kit, but for all intents and purposes is out of production, as rare as hens teeth to find new in UK or second-hand is Tamiya's 1/32 F-16 Thunderbird, these are much sought after ... mostly a 1/48 builder here (hence my forum name) but do try to make space for Tamiya's de luxe 1/32 Aircraft series and like to have at least one of each in the stash, hey my Tamiya 1/32 F-15 Strike Eagle is almost 80% finished, really need to get this one finished soon, its looking good if I say so myself, another 2 weeks work would do it.

The other most desirable one on my want list is just another Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito, actually owned one already when they were released and paid top dollar/pound £125 ish, maybe less? cant remember :) But, they sell for much more now, sometimes well over £200, also seem to be harder to find now too, sold one on here last year in buy and sell for £140 I think ... thought I'd made a profit in my stash thinning exercise, bit wow, wish I'd held on to it now?

We all make bad decisions in life and selling my Mosquito was one of mine :(  I honestly think this kit in particular is going to be harder to find in future, it probably was not as successful as Tamiya hoped it would be sales wise, hence no glass nose version too ... just my theory, honestly I dont know?

I think I'll go bite the bullet and see if I can find a new one to buy right now ... wish me luck :)

Good luck on your quest, but beware the knights who until recently said “Ni!”

https://youtu.be/RZvsGdJP3ng

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/04/2022 at 22:37, PattheCat said:

OOP

Revell 1/144 Locheed L-1049 or C-121 Super Constellation

this means I own a holy grail! somewhere, behind three trials... 

my favourites would be, strangely enough, some cars:

- 1974 Dodge Monaco Sedan aka The Bluesmobile

- Jaguar Mk II (even though I've seen much more of Lewis than Morse) 

- 68 Mustang sedan NOT fastback...

• Like 2