Clear the Stash #12. Macchi MC.205 Veltro

This is the Italeri kit from 2002 according to Scalemates. It’s OOB save for Print Scale smoke ring decals and Uschi aerial wire.

Straightforward, simple. No filling needed. Seatbelts are moulded onto the seat (They’re inaccurate and not at all convincing). Some may want to rescribe the wings. I didn’t.

Paint was Humbrol. Italian Sand, I4, equivalent to Hu.118 apparently. My tin is now 50 years old and still going strong. I’d mislaid my Italian grey so improvised. I saw recommended Hu.140 but it looked too dark to me after I’d put on the first coat so used Hu.127 instead.

Decals, aside from the smoke rings, are from the kit and they went on fine save some silvering on the upper wing which I couldn’t get rid of. When touching up I found that the Green that was closest to the smoke ring green was Hu.91.

Finally, I put on a Promodeller Wash of sand on the underneath only and tried to pencil the aileron, rudder and flap lines

Problems.

The spinner spiral. No decal provided. No generic decal sheet for spirals that I could find. Masking didn’t go well on such a small area (even with cutting the tape into small pieces) so went with pencil and Sharpie pen.

An undercarriage strut pinged off and disappeared. A simple plastic rod was its replacement.

The tail wheel snapped off. I inserted a pin beside it and glued accordingly. (I am in awe of those who can apparently insert a pin through an undercarriage leg lengthways in this scale. I certainly can’t and I’ve tried many, many times)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20