1/72 Sova-M U-36A Learjet - finished

zebra

With a Gulfstream and a U-125 we already have two more bizjets than most GBs, and I'm adding a third in the shape of the Sova-M U-36A Learjet. Here's the kit:

Sova-M U-36

Quite a lot of parts on familiar-looking A Model sprues. No locating pins, and it's basically an A Model kit so will need to be approached with caution! Looking forward to getting stuck in.

cheers

Julian

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

welcome along again Julian with another fine looking model!

I do like this one, especially the scheme, nice and colourful.  You seem to get a far swag of parts too by the looks of it, so it should be an interesting build.

You know you could always do this scheme in 1/32nd, there are still some of those JetMAD 32nd Learjets beasties still available!  Would look really impressive! :D

Good luck with the build.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 8:49 AM, trickyrich said:

JetMAD 32nd Learjets beasties still available!

Only US$230! Might have to give that one a miss.

Meanwhile in 1/72, time to get cracking. I've started by inserting a few cockpit parts into the fuselage and adding the windows. Just like every Amodel kit I've ever built, the windows aren't a great fit. I dealt with them by letting them sit a little proud of the fuselage, sanding them back and then polishing them. Quite happy with how they've come out.

U-36 Learjet WIP

The cockpit is pretty basic but I'm happy enough with that, won't be adding anything to it. Will get the cockpit finished and fuselage together next.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 12

On 5/2/2022 at 7:42 PM, zebra said:

Only US$230! Might have to give that one a miss.

Meanwhile in 1/72, time to get cracking. I've started by inserting a few cockpit parts into the fuselage and adding the windows. Just like every Amodel kit I've ever built, the windows aren't a great fit. I dealt with them by letting them sit a little proud of the fuselage, sanding them back and then polishing them. Quite happy with how they've come out.

U-36 Learjet WIP

The cockpit is pretty basic but I'm happy enough with that, won't be adding anything to it. Will get the cockpit finished and fuselage together next.

thanks for looking

Julian

Nice technique with the windows! They look super smooth now. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2022 at 12:45 PM, bianfuxia said:

Nice technique with the windows! They look super smooth now. 

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

That is a clever idea, especially with something like this where you want a nice clean smooth finish!

Thanks! I've built a few Amodel kits with cabin windows that don't fit very well - often don't match the curvature of the fuselage either - and this has become a tried and tested method. It's pretty easy and doesn't take long. The trickiest bit is avoiding obliterating surface detail - I tend to do this by repeatedly pausing to rescribe and deepen the panel lines near the windows as I go, rather than having to completely rescribe them afterwards.

Fuselage is together and engine nacelles have been assembled:

U-36 Learjet WIP

Only fit issue was the IP coaming. No idea how the part was supposed to fit, it was far too big and I had to trim off a couple of millimetres.

• Like 9

Windscreen on and blended in, fuselage seams dealt with and wings attached. The usual amount of Amodel fettling required. Worst fitting part is the cockpit coaming - I don't know what kit it's intended for but I don't think it's this one!

U-36 Learjet WIP

more soon

Julian

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Wow, I didn't realise those tip tanks were so big!

The standard ones are pretty long but these are bigger as they have mission equipment in them - I think one of them simulates a missile seeker and the other has a camera in it.

• Like 2

Got some decals done today. Hopefully I'll get the rest on tomorrow and get a gloss coat done too. After that it'll probably be a while before I get anything else done - heading to the UK for four weeks next Friday, but should have time to get it finished when I get back.

U-36 Learjet WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Up on its legs. Undercarriage parts always seem to be a bit disappointing on Amodel kits - soft detail, vague fit, prominent seams, locating pins that are too big for the holes they're supposed to go in - so it needed a bit of care. Might have to start designing and printing my own undercarriages for these kits in future.

U-36 Learjet WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 7