2 New Canberra Books

canberra kid

Hi AllĀ 

Canberra book(s) release dates. Fonthill have now announced dates for the 2-volume Canberra set by Ken Delve and John Sheehan, and their website https://www.fonthill.media/collections/aircraft even has a pre-order deal!

Volume 1 deals with the RAF's use of the Canberra from the Bomber Wings of Bomber Command from 1951, through interdictors in Germany, Middle East and Far East, the global PR presence - right up to 2006 (!), and the many and varied support roles in EW, target towing, etc.

Volume 2 covers the overseas users, including the B-57, plus the Operational Conversion Unit, trials use, displays, preserved aircraft, a full production list with histories, and more.

The reason it is 2 volumes is that the whole package is around 380,000 words and 800+ photos, so a single volume would have been tricky!

Watch out for details of launch events where you can buy the book(s), get them signed, view Canberra displays, and hear 'Canberra chats'.

ADaH3m.jpg

ADaKJO.jpg

John

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Ptmvarsityfan said:

Well impressed with Vol 1, have now pre- ordered Vol 2! Good discount from Foothill Media too!

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Really glad you enjoyed it! We've just finished our last check through of Vol.2 and it's now back with the publisher, it should be winging it's way to the book shelf soon(ish)Ā 

Ā 

We are planning two book signings in September in Doncaster and the other at Mahram.

Ā Ā OfKvrA.jpg

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

Hello!

Ā 

Does the Vol 2 have details of the Swedish Tp 52 EW equipment? And explanation for their venturi outlets (made of steel for heat resistance?) at rear bomb bay?

Ā 

Regards,

Ā 

Kari

Hi Kari

We do cover the Tp.52's but due to space only in a general way, I have the Tp.52 manual but it does not have details of that part. Is it on both Tp.52's? I can look at my photos.

Ā 

John

• Thanks 1

Hi Kari

Is it this are in red on the photos? I'm not sure what they are, perhaps chaff dispensers or heat vents for the electronic recon suite? What ever they are they were a Swedish modification as they are not in the photos of the aircraft when they left Warton.Ā 

h8xbDF.jpg

h8xrPe.jpg

h8x3aX.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Exactly those outlets. I believe the venturi-profiled cover created suction for the outlet inside it. Each a/c had two such things. Chaff or heat&exhaust is my guess, too. The engineer in me would like to know for certain.

Ā 

I should have close up photos (also venturi interor) but not easily accessible as they are among holiday pictures from several years ago.

Ā 

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

• 3 weeks later...

Vol. 1 also arrived here a couple of weeks ago, but not yet had time to do a real look inside. @canberra kid: Do you happen to know whether Fonthill take part in one of the import VAT up-front collecting schemes? Probably not, that's why I bought mine off a platform (but still at a great price), as that handling fee for collecting the VAT on delivery that all carriers apply just about kills off every direct (non-platform) purchase outside the EU.

• Like 1