2 New Canberra Books

canberra kid

Canberra book(s) release dates. Fonthill have now announced dates for the 2-volume Canberra set by Ken Delve and John Sheehan, and their website https://www.fonthill.media/collections/aircraft even has a pre-order deal!

Volume 1 deals with the RAF's use of the Canberra from the Bomber Wings of Bomber Command from 1951, through interdictors in Germany, Middle East and Far East, the global PR presence - right up to 2006 (!), and the many and varied support roles in EW, target towing, etc.

Volume 2 covers the overseas users, including the B-57, plus the Operational Conversion Unit, trials use, displays, preserved aircraft, a full production list with histories, and more.

The reason it is 2 volumes is that the whole package is around 380,000 words and 800+ photos, so a single volume would have been tricky!

Watch out for details of launch events where you can buy the book(s), get them signed, view Canberra displays, and hear 'Canberra chats'.

ADaH3m.jpg

ADaKJO.jpg

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

These look amazing, what more can you tell us John. Will these be well suited to modellers, diagrams and or drawings etc? I am sure there is mine full of information within. For me up in Scotland what would you suggest, order through the pre-order link you have posted up. 

cheers Ali

15 hours ago, Ali62 said:

These look amazing, what more can you tell us John. Will these be well suited to modellers, diagrams and or drawings etc? I am sure there is mine full of information within. For me up in Scotland what would you suggest, order through the pre-order link you have posted up. 

cheers Ali

6 hours ago, speedy said:

Same as Ali. John what style are the books, reference, tales etc.

When we first started the project we a had planned to add an in depth model section, but as the book grew and grew into two very substantial volumes something had to go. Having said that when the original book came out it was my go to book for Canberra info, I don't think that has changed other than it is now even better. The book contains a lot of facts and airframe detail plus first had accounts from ground and aircrew backed up and supplemented with extracts from Squadron diaries and operational records. The photos are very good, with many never published before. 

John

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply John, I shall be purchasing these, as I still want to create more NEW Canberra sets, well a few big plans in my head, for future Aerocraft Model releases…..I need real aircraft information and not ‘model’ related information so glad you have produced two volumes that would seem to be packed with the ‘RIGHT STUFF’.

cheers Ali

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Thank you for the reply John, I shall be purchasing these, as I still want to create more NEW Canberra sets, well a few big plans in my head, for future Aerocraft Model releases…..I need real aircraft information and not ‘model’ related information so glad you have produced two volumes that would seem to be packed with the ‘RIGHT STUFF’.

cheers Ali

No problem Ali, if you ever need anything Canberra related I always happy to help! 

John

• Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

Took advantage of the advance order price and been awaiting Volume 2 of which  all 1.7 kilos , 600+ pages , 560+ photos of it were delivered this evening , first run through and looking really good.

15 hours ago, Des said:

Took advantage of the advance order price and been awaiting Volume 2 of which  all 1.7 kilos , 600+ pages , 560+ photos of it were delivered this evening , first run through and looking really good.

Thanks very much Des, I hope you enjoy them! 

John