Which fuel locations apply for the Bf109G-6?

Walter

I'm curious if anyone can help with fuel type locations on the Bf109G-6. Eduard specify options for their stencils, possibly a change made from early to late models.

There are options to use either fuel B4 or C3? Which tag applies to which version G6?

20220418-164059.jpg

Edited by Walter

The engine type would determine the require fuel.  From what I understand, the basic G-6  had the DB 605A engine, so B4 fuel according to the listing here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler-Benz_DB_605

Also note, if equipped with the power boost system MW-50, then it would be C3.

An earlier thread on fuel stencils and what they represent:

regards,

Jack

On the Bf 109 G the fuel filler access was on the port fuselage spine, and was usually marked with a yellow triangle edged in white indicating the fuel grade.  The area circled in the blue on the diagram above is the access for the primer filler port.  It would be marked with the same yellow triangle as main fuel filler.  Some G-6s and almost all G-14 were equipped with MW 50, a 50/50 mixture of methanol and water.  The filler point for the MW 50 was on the starboard fuselage spine immediately opposite of the main fuel access.  The MW 50 was also marked with a triangle indicating MW rather than fuel grade.

Great thanks guys. I did some reading up and discovered that b4=84 and c3=87 as a synthetic to fossil fuel comparison. So I then maked that spot with C3 tag as the fuel tag indicated near the cockpit was 87.  I may be wrong and I'm still very curious about the different fuel locations. More study required. 

Cheers

Walter

According to the Mushroom Model Publication on the 109G, aircraft equipped with either type of power boost system had a third location for the fuel filler cap.   This was starboard side just behind and below another access panel near the antenna.  Previous to 1943, this fuel source was located in the wings.   Additionally, there was option to use the boost fuel tank as an auxiliary tank for regular fuel.

G6_U2_AS_right.jpg

Unfortunately they  have no other description for the other two access panels on the starboard spine.  Of the four starboard colour illuminations of the G-6, only one has a fuel stencil, this being C3 at the rear most location and is captioned as a GS/y of II./JG 27.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG