Eduard Bf. 109G

It’s been a while since my last visit here, but I thought I’d share one of my latest efforts. This is Eduard’s Profipack 1/48 109G and is without doubt one of the nicest kits I’ve ever come across. The fit of parts is excellent, the crispness of the moulding is very good, the new style decals are truly excellent and give that ‘painted on look’ and the level of detailing with photoetch is just right for my abilities.

Paints are Tamiya acrylics with Winsor & Newton Matt acrylic varnish and oil paints for weathering.

Bf.109G

52012192731_45d26e11e8_b.jpg

52011166742_d8e9ce9071_b.jpg

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely build and paintwork!

Did you peel the film off or leave it?

Nice Gustav!

Keith

Hi Keith, I left the decals for a full 24hrs. to dry out completely and then carefully lifted the corner of the decal carrier film and peeled it off very slowly with some very fine tweezers. So far this technique has work on 2 other kits, the 1/48 Eduard Zlin 526 ASF and the 1/72 Cmelak. 

Edited by Bill.B
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zigomar said:

Nice but infos on unit and pilot would have been a nice touch.

Quoted from Eduard’s instruction sheet:

‘The first unit in which the then twenty-two-year-old Lt. Carganico served after completing flight training was JG 1 at the beginning of the war. This was followed by service with JG 77 with which he saw combat in Norway and then the Battle of Britain. On January 1st, 1941, he returned to Norway where he commanded 1./JG 77. On September 25th, 1941, Carganico achieved his 27th kill and was awarded the Knight's Cross. In March 1942, Carganico's unit was redesignated as 6./JG 5 and in April 1942, he was given command of the entire II. Gruppe. On March 26th, 1944 he was given command of I./JG 5, which saw combat against Allied forces within the Defence of the Reich. On April 27th of the same year, Carganico took off for the last time. In an attack on a group of B-17s, his Bf 109G-5 was heavily damaged and during his attempt to belly in, he struck some high power lines. He did not survive the resulting crash near the French town of Chevry. His final tally consisted of sixty kills over the course of 600 sorties. Bf 109G-6/AS were assigned to the high altitude interception therefore they were camouflaged in the overall coat of RLM 76. Capt. Carganico had Mickey Mouse painted of the fuselage port side, marking carried by his previous airplanes. Starboard side is not photographically documented, it may have carried the Gruppe Commander’s double chevron marking.’

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill.B said:

Hi Keith, I left the decals for a full 24hrs. to dry out completely and then carefully lifted the corner of the decal carrier film and peeled it off very slowly with some very fine tweezers. So far this technique has work on 2 other kits, the 1/48 Eduard Zlin 526 ASF and the 1/72 Cmelak. 

Thanks for the info Bill, I've got a few Eduard kits with these decals now but not had chance to use any yet. 

Keith

• Thanks 1