Have been deliberating on which kit to start….will it be 1/32 F5E? 1/48 EA-6B? or 1/24 A-klasse? I finally decided to build the Rye Field M1A1 with full interior.  
spacer.png

This kit box is filled to the brim with parts and is a pleasure to assemble.

My intention is to do a partial cutout of the hull and turret to showcase the beautiful interior of the M1. I have learned something about tanks from gathering the images in the internet. Most surprisingly was the ammo case burn off when fired and only the primer cap is ejected. Certainly very different from my Army times when I fired the 106 recoilless gun.

-F6tL5rBz1obxjWyXNgx_IPiYJYJi85kEX_EDe8S

I will paint the NATO camouflage since I am tired of seeing M1 only in desert colour in most pictures.

• Like 11

spacer.png

Turret base assembled. From reference pictures, I found one part is redundant and not supposed to be fitted unlike the instructions. 
One more round of paint and it should be done for wash and weathering. 

Edited by Cklasse
  • Like 8

spacer.png

Joined the arms and shafts for road wheels so that I can proceed with assembling engine and driver’s compartment. 
Just eyeballing the left and right arms after dry fitting into the hull, I realized the left and right side are not on the same level. The tank will slant slightly if I proceed to blindly install them based on the keys on the arms to position.

So, the keys on one side of the hull have to be removed so that I can reposition the arms during glueing to make sure both left and right are on equal level. Anyway, I am depicting one track to be going over a bump, so I need to remove the arm keys to position some wheels higher than others.

• Like 4

spacer.png

I didn’t realized what trouble I am getting myself into when I wanted a tank with movable track parts instead of the usual rubber tracks. Read that it was painful and it is indeed. Lots of careful cutting and trimming of the tiny parts so that I can assemble them into one short section. My eyes are tired from the focused work.

It’s gonna take a few nights to complete one track.

Now, will I do it again. You bet! I will still do these tracks. These tracks beat rubber tracks for the details and realism. I have a Bradley with such tracks waiting for me to build. 

Edited by Cklasse
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, Cklasse said:

spacer.png

I didn’t realized what trouble I am getting myself into when I wanted a tank with movable track parts instead of the usual rubber tracks. 

This… is the stuff of Nightmares…

• Haha 5

On 19/04/2022 at 00:25, Longbow said:

This… is the stuff of Nightmares…

🤣🤣🤣 tnx for the headsup..... i have a simillar task waiting with my next project....

• Like 1

spacer.png

So….I have come to this point of assembly and realized that you either fixed with the engine inside the tank or outside. The engine cannot be removed once the rear sprocket wheels are fitted. 
I shall leave the engine out so that I can detail the engine and engine bay. The fun part is in detailing.

edit notes 

While detailing the engine base on pictures, I realized the kit instructions for the engine to rear sprocket joint is not correct. The lower half should stay in the engine bay while the top half follows the engine. In this configuration, the engine can be taken out without obstruction. Too late for mine, the rings are glued.

Edited by Cklasse
Added notes
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I see gas turbine engines at work; the kind that flies. So the kit bare engine just does not look right. I tried as much as I can, to detail the engines with tubes, hoses, ducts, wirings and heat shields base on pictures and imagination. Eventually I think I have to stop because it can go on for a long time with the number of tubes and wiring a gas turbine engine has.

Now to move on to the engine bay detailing. I am beginning to wonder if I am trying to achieve too much by building this tank with interior. Oh well, it’s already started, so it has to end. Build will still continue.

Kit engine

spacer.png

after detailing 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Progressing at a pace of one tube or hose per night……when will I finish detailing the engine bay? Cut some panels out of the top hull so that I can show the bay with panels opened.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to building the tank while I wait for the paint on the SeaKing to fully cure. 
Assembled the fire control panel and ammo compartment. 
Figuring where can I cut the tank so that the interior can be seen. It’s a waste not to show the interior details. 
The cutout shall be the shaded area, may have to cut more as the build move along.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Sneaked in some painting today when the sky took a break from raining. It has been raining a lot for the past weeks here in Singapore.

Didn’t get to complete spray painting the primer when the airbrush started to spit water from the humid air. I will probably hand brush the remaining bit so that I can proceed with the white interior.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I served on A1s and the kit seems to be missing alot of small details here and there but the big items are there. Some googling will show you these smaller items if you care to search. 

Also, you can add alot more chipping in the turret area!