Hasegawa 1/72 F-2B

I've had this kit for almost seven years in the stash & first thought of this when I noticed there was a Japanese GB.

There's a nice big decal sheet in the box with a wide variety of options which obviously means that my addled brain is instantly undecided.

Looking through one of my On Target reference I found something attractive that can be done from what I've got, either 56-8673 or it might be 46-8612. Would like to do both but would need another pair of decals for the upper wing hinomaru's.

52010459522_98664f7d0e_k.jpg

52012002355_0a02804811_k.jpg

As there's four months to do this, I might just stretch it to two models so I might get one of the following done as well. Again Mr Undecided is currently in control!

52011749529_745b892eef_k.jpg

And this which I've had in the stash since way too long...

52012024125_f2005074fc_k.jpg

52011507426_ef54c42ddd_k.jpg

Martin

• Like 11

Well as Seiteki Taishōgun Enzo (Shōgun Enzo) would say それらすべてを構築してください!:D

Any of these would be a fine choice for this GB, I think the F-104 is the only one we don't have yet, and that scheme is awesome!!! The Finemolds Phantom is a great model and a nice scheme too. The F.2B, gosh you have AM, resin AM at that!!! Uncle Richie like a lot!!

Tough choice, it'll be interesting to see what you end up going with.....or all 3??? :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Well as Seiteki Taishōgun Enzo (Shōgun Enzo) would say それらすべてを構築してください!:D

Any of these would be a fine choice for this GB, I think the F-104 is the only one we don't have yet, and that scheme is awesome!!! The Finemolds Phantom is a great model and a nice scheme too. The F.2B, gosh you have AM, resin AM at that!!! Uncle Richie like a lot!!

Tough choice, it'll be interesting to see what you end up going with.....or all 3??? :wicked:

Thanks Uncle Richie! 🙂

After I posted this, I then looked up images for 8673 then found that it's been built quite a number of times. As I'm one to try & build airframes that haven't been done before it's likely I might go for another colourful build. The mind boggles with colourful JASDF Starfighters! My mate Gary who runs the Japanese SIG would be happy with me if I did all three as they would fill more table space but I'm not that fast a builder!

• Like 2

Fine choices, as it happened I was contemplating these three kits as well. Have committed to the Phantom first, but am keen to see what you do with the Starfighter, it’s probably the quintessential postwar Japanese fighter!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dansk said:

All are great.

Do the phantom and f-2 and save the starfighter for the century fighters gb :wicked:

Oh damn, you would go & do that! 😕😆 OK you've made the decision for me, F-2 first then it is. I'm sure I'm already booked in for the century fighters GB. Already had something planned for that as well! 😉

• Like 2

OK it's been a while since I last actually did some modelling. Not posing for consumer products!

There were a couple of other builds that required completing like my Buccaneer & the MiG-21.

Anyway, got all the parts primed, both on the sprues & on the actual fuselage.

I've added the Wolfpack resin undercarriage which is fantastic. The engine exhaust can be painted up & added up last thing.

The build started with the main fuselage & the cockpit section which sits in the lower forward half, so painted & used the kit decals which represent something that resembles consoles, screens etc. Goodenough for 1/72. Not that I could find an etched Eduard cockpit set for it or anything.

Kit itself goes together very nicely with the absolute minimum of filler. Next stage will be to do what i normally do & airbrush the forward cockpit coaming, decide if the canopy will be open or closed, add a bit more primer then add the undercarriage.

All I've got to do now is sort some paint out.

52100327182_f2f0425a30_h.jpg

52101860485_af8f79e4da_h.jpg

52100327292_265c6dc73d_h.jpg

Made up & primed the Pavla seats...

52100327352_1f9a47f25f_h.jpg

Used some aquarium tank lead strip for some nose wheight plus some bluetac adds some weight & stops it from rattling around.

52101386373_b63b33df4c_h.jpg

All the other hangy offy bits primed. Everything that needed white paint has been airbrushed including the resin seamless intake, wheel bays & inside of the undecarriage doors

52101595679_125cbd9a01_h.jpg

That's it for now..

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 5:43 AM, trickyrich said:

nice progress on her. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. A little slower progress than I'd like but managed some masking & airbrushing today.

Pitot & pointy outy bits (memory evades me what those side sensors actually are) provided with the DXM decal sheet. Very kind & thoughtful of the chaps at DXM!

52141688839_90eb6ef31c_h.jpg

A very good & kind pal from our club loaned me the MR Hobby JASDF paint set. Cockpit painted at this stage & fitting of the resin Aires ACES II seats.

52140429032_9f0a79ae2b_h.jpg

Painted the resin wheel bays & undercarriage. Vallejo model color white used.

52141938905_4f3444a370_h.jpg

52141452761_b132acb7b7_h.jpg

One of the Aires seats before installing.

52141452721_bf8264a767_h.jpg

52140428897_3fd5abb245_h.jpg

A pre shade before adding the blues. Might also add a dark panel line pre shade, also added the canopy after masking up.

52141452681_3581c1b2b4_h.jpg

52141471023_534068c8b9_h.jpg

• Like 8

AOA sensors (angle of attack)........ "things that break off very easily when handled" sensors!

That pre-shading should help break the evenness of the main colour nicely.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 1:00 AM, trickyrich said:

AOA sensors (angle of attack)........ "things that break off very easily when handled" sensors!

That pre-shading should help break the evenness of the main colour nicely.

AOA! Yes, thanks Rich. Thankfully these are metal, don't appear to be brass, so won't get knocked off, just pierce the fingers if I'm not careful!

• Haha 1

Added some more panel lining before the blues go on.

52153086152_220536ffeb_h.jpg

Dried pretty quickly in this heat, then the first of the Mr. Hobby JASDF blues.

52154335469_e0a533dcbb_h.jpg

Pre shading & panel lines are still visible underneath the blue, honest!

52154095891_40ecd508da_h.jpg

• Like 7

Nice paintwork. Both blues in this scheme are pleasing to my eye and seeing the first colour on alone enhances the impression.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 8:48 AM, Col. said:

Nice paintwork. Both blues in this scheme are pleasing to my eye and seeing the first colour on alone enhances the impression.

Thanks Col. Just completed the masking for the dark blue. Now for a breather before loading up the air brush.

52157847494_42712c58cb_h.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

It does. Also got the 2020 Sea Camo RF-4E as well. Tempted to do that as well.

Do it :bounce: Do it :bounce: Do it :bounce:

• Like 1

Hadn't caught up with this build before now, it is looking really good, love those colours. One of these has found its way into my HLJ private warehouse in the last week, fingers crossed I can get something close to this come the day.

Steve.

• Like 1

Many thanks Steve, yes the colours are really good. Great colour matches. A kind mate of mine has lent me his Mr Hobby JASDF set of paints which are a must & probably are the best. Do try & obtain the paints if you're going to be painting this.

2 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

Lovely and clean!

Thanks mate! 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Summer has inadvertantly got in the way of models, but since I've got a few days off work, managed to get the decals on this blue bird.

52211529212_91dbf11ba8_h.jpg

52212806079_36e5a3a876_h.jpg

52212805039_37c7753e7e_h.jpg

Few more stages then it's done.

Another gloss to cover the 170 odd decals provided by DXM.

Panel line wash & dirty oil marks to the underside.

Add some of the pointy-outy aerials etc.

Paint the navigation lights.

Give it a satin final coat.

Add the pylons, tanks & ordnance & finally its wheels.

Oh & mustn't forget to remove the canopy masking!

• Like 8

Looks fantastic. Mine is on its way from Japan currently. I have the Mr Hobby set you mentioned, as well as the Vic Hobby set so I should be well catered for come the day I get to these.

Steve.

• Like 1