Kido Senkan Nadesico - Nergal ND-001 Nadesico-Y - lets get this party started.

Dazzio

"Those unforgettable days, for them... I live" - Omoikane

Youkso mina-san, genki desu ka!  I could find the Hiragana but I am far to lazy... this is a place holder for my build which will be the 1:1500 scale Nergal ND-001Y "Nadesico" from the anime "Kido Senkan Nadeshiko".  This has been one of my all time favourite shows since I don't know when - probably when I first importated the dvd from Amazon.com way back in 2001.  It is one of the few animes where the dub is actually a lot better than the sub (only other one I can think off the top of my head is El-Hazard) I have to be honest that I am a pure sub kinda viewer.  Anyhow... seeing as about 95% of my stash is eligible for this GB, I had a tough time picking something a bit different.  Seeing as I have never seen this kit built, I thought why the hell not?  If I get it done quickly (haha yeah right!), I might join in with a Valkyrie/Gundam, Starblazers or even -86- Eighty Six... hhmm...

A little bit about the show - it's one of the few shows that doesn't take itself seriously and does poke fun at it self.  It has a few references to the classic mecha shows like Gundam, Macross, Getter Robo and Harlock.  Spike Spencer (the voice of Akito in Nadesico and Shinji in Evangelion can scream with the best of them!).  The show starts off being very light hearted but does take a more serious turn when it is revealed who is attacking Earth and why.  Think I will leave it here as I could talk about the show for ages.  The only other thing I am going to say is Ruri-ruri! :D

The kit - I pre-ordered this kit from HLJ around 2017-ish and I have had it sitting in my stash ever since.  As I have said earlier, I haven't seen any builds of this kit anywhere then again I haven't spent ages looking neither.  So it is a 1:1500 scale kit of the Space Battleship Nadesico, which I may sometimes call "Omoikane" as that is what the ships AI is called.  It is from a company called "Aquamarine" whom I think are Chinese? Onto the pictures...

52011244483_180ed68a9c_b.jpg

This is the Nadesico with the "Y-unit" attached to the fron that was meant to be for the Nadesico's sister ship the ND-004 Shakuyaku which was destroyed after an attack on the Moon base, I did always love the artwork of this and have only just noticed the Aestevalis' flying around her after all these years.  I am unsure of the side of her at this time, but the below picture should give you an idea of the box size.

52011433059_70d7c3850f_b.jpg

Sorry, I didn't have any bananas on me, so I had to use a paint pot and the universal reference of size. 

52011244378_8134c2c8cf_b.jpg

You can build the kit as either the original Nadesico or with the Y-unit attached.  This is the normal/original version.

52011705535_a6f06cf7b3_b.jpg

With the Y-unit attached.  I think I might be able to build up the kit so they are interchangeable between the normal version and Y-unit version.

52011244328_25e1040f70_b.jpg

Some artwork from the back of the manual - I'm a sucker for these kind of artwork pictures.

52010162897_70eb748d91_b.jpg

Yay stickers!... *sigh*.  I did have a look around but I couldn't find any decals.  I might try and print my own as I hate stickers.  You can also see that the kit hasn't been started yet, let alone un packaged.  There is going to be a metric tonne of plastic here.

The references.

I do have a few references for this build, ignoring the TV show DVD's and the movie DVD.  I also have a few books.

52011432784_cfd3f3463a_b.jpg

This is actually an artwork book with the characters in, but there will be loads of the actual Nadesico as well.  I remember importing this from Amazon.co.jp about the same time I got the dvds (I did see them as a fansub somewhere before hand).  For those not in the know, fansubs are a gray area legally.  A TV show would get shown in Japan and a team of fans (I used to be an editor for one of those groups) would translate it and release it under their group name for free to download.  Under the unoffical rule/gentlemans agreement that if the show was ever picked up in the West that all distribution would cease.  You used to find that alot of the fake DVD's out on the market where just a collection of the fansubs.  There was a famous issue in the anime circles regarding Gundam Seed and an anime group but thats another story for another time.  Now a days, I think fansubbing has died out with services like Crunchyroll and Animax (I'm going to ignore Netflix for what they have done to Anime...).

52011189061_738d1560b3_b.jpg

Artwork book from the film "The Prince of Darkness".

52011243828_b05b4a81c1_b.jpg

A general artwork book from the creator of Martian Successor Nadesico, Keiji Gotoh.  I have only looked at this book once or twice before, hence it still being in the protective cover.  I think there is some artwork in there of the actual Nadesico... possibly.

All of the art work pictures have been of one of the beloved characters from Nadesico, Ruri Hoshino.  She really does make the show and has some heartbreaking storie lines on her own.

I need to get my T-80 and F-18's finished before I start this.  Hopefully that will not be long.

Oo... I just remembered I have the ああっ女神さまっ Shinden, I might add that as well as ああっ女神さまっ is my favourite show and I am a massive Belldandy fanboy.

Any questions, please ask away - and yes I do think of myself as an Otaku that is forced to go out.

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 8

Welcome along Dazz and I'm thrilled to see one of these in the GB!!! :yahoo:

I'm a huge fan this sort of Anime though I really don't build much at all....ok I have yet to finish any I have started!

I do like the way a lot of these model are interchangeable in how you can config them and the really clever ways they achieve this.

Good luck with the build, I'm really looking forward to follow this one.

One O my fav's happens to be the "live action" Gunhed, I have the 1/35th model from Kotobuiya, it's a very nice model! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich, I have been looking forward to this GB since it was thought up (even if I am *STILL* not in the list of active member participating. :D

I am looking forward to the different subjects that comes out of Japan, I was half tempted to buy the Evangelion Crayfish or even the Yuu Shinoda from the Naked Angels series (DO NOT LOOK HER UP AT WORK!  NSFW!), but I wasn't sure how the mods would feel about a figurine of a JAV star! :D

That is one of the best parts of the Plamo/Gunpla scene is how interchangable the parts are and in some cases like with Gunpla, it is even ecouraged (look up the Gundam Try Builders series).  I have a few Gundams that I can enter with (about 20) if I feel like I really want to challenge myself later.  Thank you for the kind words and I look forward to starting this beastie, thinking I might do a custom paint job on it - nothing too serious.

Oh yeah, I know of Gunhed, it gave me a MechWarrior vibe when I saw the original ADV trailer all those years ago.  That reminds me, I need to get a Mortor Headd from the Five Star STories.

Kind regards,

Dazz (really itching to get this one started).

• Haha 1

"Omoikane, please let yourself forget and when your memories return, do not let them rule you. If you can learn how to pretend to be a good and obedient child, you can still be true to yourself in your own heart." - Ruri Honshino

So I'm currently waiting for the paint for the T-80 to arrive and I have sort of lost interest in the F-18's but will probably paint them on Saturday.  I started to build the Nadesico this evening while watching some of the show, still a great show!  I started to build the original Nadesico without the Y-unit first to see what it looks likes.  It looks pretty good really.  I am impressed with it as I was expecting far worse than what I build up into.  Anyhow after 2 hours I was at this stage.

52018545458_0a06266895_b.jpg

So she is pretty much done now, I am calling this one finished. :D  Only joking, I'm not happy with some of the joins, the gravity blast cannon muzzle is half hanging off and the red bits are horrible.  It will need to be painted to bring out the details on it.  Luckily it builds up like a Gunpla kit and can be taken apart, but that hull is a bugger to get apart cleanly.  Think I am going to have to do some modification to the kit some how.  I might get the Y-unit built tomorrow...

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 4

• Dazzio changed the title to Kido Senkan Nadesico - Nergal ND-001 Nadesico-Y - lets get this party started.
2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

very nice!

..... oh and you have a lot to answer for too!! :wicked:  been shopping!  :D

THank you, thank you. Woohoo!  I am a bad influence! :D 

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Haha 1

"You're wrong, but it's what I expected.  Why is it that adults think that forgetting something is a solution?  You can't just throw knowledge away..." - Ruri Hoshino.

So I done some more work on this beastie, this time assembling the Y-unit.  I think I am going to have to decide which version I want to keep as each time I take the main body apart it is damaging the sides of it despite me trying to be careful.  Not sure which version I prefer though, the original one up above or the Y-unit one below... I didn't get any pictures of the build as she goes together really quickly.  Infact I spent more time trying to find the parts on the sprue trees.

52019532702_c40d5f63c4_b.jpg

The Y-Unit certainly makes the Nadesico look more chunky.  Still not sure where I am going to put it when I have finished! :D

In other news, I am toying with the idea of entering another build to this GB just because... well reasons.  Oh and I have also found a cheap-ish Naked Angel - Yuu Shinoda ;) (I actually have). 

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 4

"Well of course, building models is the ultimate hobby for the mature male.  It takes a skilled mind, a steady hand and a keen eye and it is not as expensive as collecting the real thing." - Uribatake

So a little update on the high mobile space battleship Nadesico (that is bit of a mouthful eh?).

I have been plugging away on the Nadesico while listening to some quality songs from various shows.  Fire Bomber, Walkyrie, Ranka and Sherry, Lynn Minmay, Hikaru Utada, Ayumi Hamasaki... you get the idea. I still think that "Angel Voice" is one of the best songs out there... anyhow...  First thing I did was to disassemble to parts now I have an idea of how they go together and what will/will not be seen.  In the different pieces the Nadesico looks like this...

52036762853_23c57f7cbd_b.jpg

Those front nacelles for the Y-unit are absolutely massive!  The bit that is going to cause the most issues will be the main body and when/if I want to change the Nadeisco from the original ship to the Y-unit attached version.  Time for some drastic action.

52035675707_0459224a3a_b.jpg

Look at those lovely ejector marks, on the top of the flight deck... great! So a few passes with a sanding stick later and they where gone.

52036762813_f5489a4a6c_b.jpg

Ta-da!.. All great fun!  Next was to tackle the issue of splitting the main body apart so I could change between the original and Y-unit attached versions.  With all 8 pins (you can see 6 here) the body was never going to move but was a right PITA to get apart and I didn't want to paint her only to destroy her each time I took her apart.  So some braining storming later, I came up with a great idea from my Tau figures... magnets!  I only have 2mm x 1mm magnets which is a bugger so I measured the holes of the 4 biggest pins which came out at 4mm.  I ordered some 4mm x 3mm round magnets,  They should be strong enough right?

52036712166_ac18b66d61_b.jpg

So here we have the top part (top) and the bottom part (bottom) of the main body.  What you can't really tell is that I have cut the pins for the hanger bay (bottom left where the masking tape is) completely off and sanded them flush.  I have also totally removed the 4 main pins as well and only left a little bit on the two small pins.  When I have test fitted these parts, the two front pins gave the body enough strenght to stay together, but I wanted to made sure it never moved.  So out came the magnets, after some trial and error fitting I was happy with the level of the magnets and they now sit on each other pretty flushly.  These should give the needed strenght to stay together when the Y-unit is attached.  The superglue I have used takes a while to go off, so I have left it set for a few days.  Although I did get some glue on the bottom of the magnets.  I will have to clean those off when the glue has set, fun fun fun.

52037234775_96b22ecd1c_b.jpg

These are the two main transitional engine nacelles for the ship (the pointy bits at the front).  The top one is for the Y-Unit and the bottom one is for the original ship.  As you can see they have slots where the engine parts lock into.  But to make the joins disappear and flush I am going to have to find a way to make the engine parts swappable.  Here is where more magnets come into play.  I am currently in the process of paining the bits that are not transferable and I will need to fit them before I can start to glue these pieces together and thing about filling those gaps in.  But as the Artillery Man in Work of the Worlds says "I've got a plan!", a pretty rubbish plan, but still a plan.

In other news, I need to get some paint for another build I am going to join in with.  Something that is way Way *WAY* out of my comfort zone, don't worry it's not a Naked Angel but something extremely Japanese!  More on that later, I don't think that anyone will be able to guess it and it is pretty left field.  All I am going to say is that the kit is made by Bandai and is a HG model, but it isn't Gundam but it is linked to Greek gods, the phrase "ごしゅじんさま!!!" (Goshujin-sama!!!) and rabbits.  If anyone has seen any of my completed builds they might have a rough idea on the theme and it is from a show I have recommended on here numerous times.  You have to be a major Otaku to guess this one... yes I am a evil bugger. :D

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Great use and idea of using those wee magnets! :thumbsup: I've used the tiny (1x2) ones on a couple of build now, I may have to get the nest size up too. Least they are really cheap.

yes I figured you'd be majorly obsessed with the next build and I guess it's not the cute fluffy kind either!

I Figure might have an idea of what it could be?

I did do a search for Major Otaku Goshujin-sama... now that came up with some interesting returns! :whistle:

On 4/30/2022 at 1:11 AM, trickyrich said:

Great use and idea of using those wee magnets! :thumbsup: I've used the tiny (1x2) ones on a couple of build now, I may have to get the nest size up too. Least they are really cheap.

yes I figured you'd be majorly obsessed with the next build and I guess it's not the cute fluffy kind either!

I Figure might have an idea of what it could be?

I did do a search for Major Otaku Goshujin-sama... now that came up with some interesting returns! :whistle:

Thank you, well I have tested the magnet trick and it's working fine now!  Woohoo!  The 4x3's have some strength behind them, quite surprising for how small they are!  They are extremely cheap which is always a bonus.

I have another 2 maybe 3 builds planned.  This GB is my forte and where I have a chance to shine. :D  I will keep away from military subjects though as I think they are pretty much covered here.  Kaiwaii?  Hhmm.. possibly.  Fluffy?  Not this time. :P

Hhmm... you might have an idea, although I would like to know what you have Figured out... I'll be impressed if anyone has Figured out the base model.

Haha, I completed a search for that myself and I can confirm that the subject isn't in that list, but Mine was... I hated her death scene almost as much as Sheele's 😢 However I will say, if you use some of the keywords above, you will find the kit and might be able to Figure it out.

So today I have spent most of the day sanding and painting the grey bits.  Not really worth a picture tbh, but slowly getting there.  I am trying to decide if I want to keep the Nadesico plain white, or do a more interesting build with Gundam style stencils on the ship.

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

"Sun-swept beaches, hot sun, and nasty ramen noodles. We tried to have fun, but in the end, we found ourselves in the middle of another military idiocy. Is it any wonder this crew is getting all stressed out? I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of them aren't so much resilient as just incredibly dense." - Ruri Hoshino

Hello Everyone,

Wow has it really been a month since my last post?  How time flies eh?  Well I have spent most of the time painting the white which is all over the ship.  I got to the point where I just thought "sod it" and have left the white.  The ship is pretty much covered and as coloured white.  I will just say that the ship is on its return journey from Mars.  I was bored of the plain white, so I decided to paint random parts of it grey and some more proment red areas.

52135050630_f0412548dc_b.jpg

This is where I am upto at the moment. While the colours are not official, I think it is more interesting than the normal white/red it is meant to be.  I still need to paint some small details like the VLS' ports.  I am thinking of putting a decal on top of the bridge that says "Nadesico" in a Enterprise kinda way.  Just need to gloss it and pin wash it.

52134578978_1e69f435d2_b.jpg

I just love the cheat line below the bridge.  Amazing how cameras always so the errors in your painting huh?

Kind regards,

Dazz

• Like 3