Hobby Boss 1/32nd B-24D Liberator

That's great I'd be tempeted with one of these but I don't have the room. It must be massive! I didn't realise the landing gear retracted like that into the wings either that's quite interesting. 

Sounds like a good kit to build. I have the A/B-26B in this series but unfortunately it's too much of a dog's breakfast even for me at this stage! 

I'm always impressed by your amazing consistency of finish over such large models, really impressive as ever 👏👏👏

This has come out very well Tom, I especially like the red-surround roundels. I may have to source some of those for when I get around to finishing my Academy D Model.
Speaking of that Academy kit, I was pawing through it again yesterday. I'm choosing not to imagine the scale of the Hobby Boss.

17 hours ago, Viking said:

That is one heck of an impressive model Tom, well up to your usual high standards.

Cheers

John

Many thanks, John - appreciated!

17 hours ago, LOX said:

Nice work !

Did you do something extra to the canopy ? because the windows look very clean and transparent. 

I gave the transparent parts a quick once over with some plastic polish when I was working in the top turret, but even before they were crystal clear. 

16 hours ago, Deano353 said:

That's great I'd be tempeted with one of these but I don't have the room. It must be massive! I didn't realise the landing gear retracted like that into the wings either that's quite interesting. 

I think if you were clever with the main spar you could keep the wings as detachable which would help with storage. 

And yes, the main gear always looks like it’s about to collapse but apparently it was very strong and very reliable - the only mod during its entire production run was to increase the gauge of metal to cope with increased weights as the aircraft evolved. The wheel bay did mean it was a structural weak point, however, and pictures of Libs going down with the outer wing missing are sadly all too common. 

14 hours ago, Alan P said:

Sounds like a good kit to build. I have the A/B-26B in this series but unfortunately it's too much of a dog's breakfast even for me at this stage! 

I'm always impressed by your amazing consistency of finish over such large models, really impressive as ever 👏👏👏

Thanks, Alan - and yes I have decided not to invest in the Invader. I’m not too concerned by accuracy issues on the whole, but even I can’t stomach that mess of a kit. And such a beautiful aircraft too. I think I’ll keep my eyes peeled for an ID Models one. 

14 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Looks mighty good to me! Seeing what you've done, I'd be inclined to give it a go myself.

Excellent! Do crack on!

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Glorious B-24 Tom.  Enviably neat.

Thanks, Steve. Coming from the master of neatness himself, that’s appreciated!

6 hours ago, Tweener said:

This has come out very well Tom, I especially like the red-surround roundels. I may have to source some of those for when I get around to finishing my Academy D Model.
Speaking of that Academy kit, I was pawing through it again yesterday. I'm choosing not to imagine the scale of the Hobby Boss.

The red surrounds do add a nice splash of colour. It’s a shame this style of insignia didn’t last long! 

And yes it’s big - just over a metre in span… or a smidgen over 3ft on old money. 

5 hours ago, Maginot said:

Good grief! Polystyrene overcast. Very nicely finished model.

Many thanks @Maginot

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Like 2

It's a shame yes - though if I can find where I placed the prop and canopy, I'll soon be able to post a captured BF-109G with the red surrounds. Seeing an OD/NG 109 with those will never sit quite right!

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, Fred piket said:

You've done a great job; much be a huge model😀. I like the weathering; not to much, just enough. And the clearparts look great as well.

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Well, it turns out brilliant! Subtle weathering and nothing overdone. I think you can be very proud of this one!

Andy 

Thanks, gents - I glad you liked the weathering as I wanted some tonal variation but nothing 'in your face' - appreciated!

Tom

1 hour ago, Sturmovik said:

How sturdy is the landing gear? 

It’s fine and supports the model without any problems. However, I have not put any nose weight in and the tail prop means four points of contact with the ground. If it had had the recommended 300g of ballast in the nose I think the brass replacement legs would have been a must. 

43 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Stunning build of an aeroplane that is very underrated and pushed aside by more ‘glamorous’ aircraft, love it!

Thank you - and yes I always feel the B-24 didn’t get the credit it deserved. It’s a bit like the Lancaster/Halifax, or Spitfire/Hurricane. Considering it was a Liberator that was first to complete 25 missions in the ETO and not a certain well-documented B-17 sums up the situation nicely. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thepureness said:

Nice, now the question is, where do you display it?

Thanks - and it will live in my attic along with the rest of the fleet of 1/32nd scale monsters. Room is getting rather tight, though!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

A happy ending to this model’s story - I’ve just returned from a fantastic trip up to the wonderful museum at Old Buckenham, in Norfolk, having donated my model to the wonderful curator, Jim. And it’s already proudly on display!

53442343286_1c345393f9_b.jpg

53442343496_a2bec1e98c_b.jpg

At least it no longer resides in my loft where it’s never seen and has gone to a new home…

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 4